Eric is Quiet

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

This film took trends displayed by other big films and increased on them significantly.

@Shawn mentioned films that surpassed all expectations ala Jurassic world, Spider-man, The dark Knight - movies where opening grosses could have significantly higher had theaters been more prepared as they were with TFA or ENDGAME. In terms of films just destroying all existing precedents, I see 4 films in the last 30 years that did this: Batman 1989 (45% above previous record which just happened to be 1 week old) , Independence day 1996, Spider-man 2001, and now End Game.

For as huge as End Game is, the trends were there, they have just never been realized to this extent for variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Ive been saying it for years, EP8 will drop by one third from EP7 (it did), and EP9 will recover half that loss. Why do I say that? Because that's exactly what happened with the other 2 SW trilogies.

The situation is completely different now, increase from EP8 is impossible at this point, they have nothing in their sleeves to build enough hype for that, "final chapter" is very far from enough. It won't increase just because others increased. They increased for a reason.

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

under 200. finish high 500s.

Most likely.

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Did something happen between Wrath of Khan and ROTJ that allowed such a huge OW record jump? Cause ESB didn’t even break the OW record.. 

SW finale happened

Edited by B J
  • Like 1

Just now, 1Robert1 said:

Sooner or later The Rock will join DC or Marvel, Disney already have Avengers and X-men. DC and Marvel could create comics why do you think that they can't make a deal on movie who could make 4 billion, and another billions in toys etc?

I'm just joking. but yes, I think records will fall sooner than people think cause now is easier to create a perfect storm. I mean, EG demolished IW's record and will make 3 billie after IW's 2 billie. those types of numbers (2 billie) will soon become more frequent thanks to expanded markets, inflation, increasing number of IMAX, AVX, VIP, etc specialty screens that charge more. 

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sunday drop looks too high at 20%+.  With AIW's drop it would bout $5m at around $363.

I think a Sunday drop of around 20% seems reasonable. The 9 PM and later showings at the 28 screen AMC I frequent are overwhelmingly empty. There is an 11:00 PM IMAX showing that is only 10% full right now. Granted, the daytime and early evening showings today will sell as much as they did yesterday. It's those later screenings where the business drop off will be steep.

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

are you an economist?

why do you think inflation will end? the US economy has been inflating since the first use of the dollar, no?

The US Dollar has been inflating ever since it was taken off the gold standard. Unless the gold standard is reintroduced, even Endgame's record is bound to fall in a few years. There's no two ways about it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Did something happen between Wrath of Khan and ROTJ that allowed such a huge OW record jump? Cause ESB didn’t even break the OW record.. 

ESB opened on 126.  WOK on 1600  and ROTJ about 1000

The 80ss was a decade of rapidly expanding wide releases.

That's why comparing % jumps between movies in the 80s or even 90s and 2000s is silly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founder / Operator

Whatever it takes.

$1.209B Global Estimate (5 Days)

$109.0M Saturday Estimate Domestic

Fri: $156.7M

Sat: $109.0M

Sun: $84.3M

Dom Wknd: $350.0M

(official Disney #s)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 7
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

ESB opened on 126.  WOK on 1600  and ROTJ about 1000

The 80ss was a decade of rapidly expanding wide releases.

That's why comparing % jumps between movies in the 80s or even 90s and 2000s is silly

Its only silly if it doesnt work, so far it has, almost perfectly.