Eric Burnett

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

ESB opened on 126.  WOK on 1600  and ROTJ about 1000

The 80ss was a decade of rapidly expanding wide releases.

That's why comparing % jumps between movies in the 80s or even 90s and 2000s is silly

So what’s the story instead looking at the history of record OW PTA?

$350M

$1.21B

INSANITY!

And actuals are going to be higher. It’s all so ridiculous I’m almost feeling numb to it. I wasn’t here for The Avengers’ OW when it seems everyone realized these movies aren’t just going to make their $500-800m WW. I was for IW and that was bonkers. But this is on another level entirely. It’s straight up insane. A weekend I won’t forget. So glad I’ve been able to watch and follow these movies, culminating in the highest achievement at the box office for the MCU. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out over the next several weeks. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Hahahahahha $84 million Sunday? Yeah right lol

I'm guessing it will be closer to $88M than $84M; but the 9 PM and later shows are not going to be anywhere near as full as they were on Saturday due to the movie being 3 hours long and with Monday being both a work day and a school day in the US.

Perfect storm of factors here.

-Finale Factor is huge - all casual fans of the previous films tune in for the conclusions; we saw the final film openings increase signifgantly over proviso films with Potter, Rings, Star Wars, etc - this cannot be discounted.

-Very well received and highly seen preceding film that ended with a cliffhanger ending -> biggest piece of marketing 

-Opened in a D.E.A.D. market- no competition, record theater and showtime counts; theaters prepared to accommodate crazy volumes

-Maximum potential for previews - Potter 8 previews inflate to $52m from only midnight sneaks, TFA adjusts to $60m in current preview scale

-Enormous amount of presales, make it much easier to get tickets and reserve seats; also decreases the lines for walk-up business

Any serious challenger to the record will have to check all these boxes. Difficult to foresee one anytime soon but thats what makes following the box office so interesting.

• Like 2

yeah lowball sunday as usual but they don t take risk with the headlines

as BJ already said sunday is like friday right now ok the evening show are gonna do less but it s endgame so who knows lol.

first prediction for monday 35m (conservative)

Just now, 1Robert1 said:

TFA needed 40 years build up EG 11 years, even if in future there will be easier to make 2 billion it still will be extremely challenging to beat EG OW. Obviously Disney will do their best so i don't think that avengers/justice league cross-over is unreal. 

well, when it comes to extreme totals, I have a faulty theory but it seems that it works so I'll repeat it. Titanic was the first movie to cross 1B (it actually came closer to 2B but I'll focus on 1B milestone). it took 6 years for another movie (ROTK) to pass the mark and from that moment onward, 1B grossers became more frequent (DMC did it 2.5 years after ROTK, TDK 2 years after DMC). then Avatar came and made over 2B (closer to 3B but, again, 2B milestone matters here). so thanks to 3D, number of 1B grossers increased so much we started to get several per year not just 1 in 2 years. But then, 6 years after Avatar, TFA made 2B and then 2.5 years after TFA, IW made 2B. see what I mean? same pattern. and now we won't have to wait 2 years for another movie to cross the mark, EG will do it and I fully expect it to cross 3B too. and who knows what TLK and Forzen 2 could do. Point is, markets grew enough to make those numbers possible for movies that are true events. and studios are now releasing more true events than before. 

Sunday may not be that low.

IW sunday drop would give Endgame 91M sunday. but endgame already has a 8% worse fri-sat drop compared to infinity war, being more frontloaded.