Eric the Fall Guy

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

I don't want to be embarassed tomorrow if Friday come only 80mn, but this is fucking crazy. 

Even if it follow Force Awaken throughout day, which was very pre-sales heavy, it is looking at 90mn Friday. 

I suggest you to expect 80mn for now, but we are in Endgame now.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 35

Friday Morning Update

Friday:
Sold Out: 45
Other showings at 80%+ capacity: 13
Total Showings: 97 (9 other showings at 50%+ capacity)

:zonks:

TFA comparison Friday Dec. 18, 2015

BJ wrote:
Heading into Friday The Force Awakens has already sold out 23/79 showings, (first showing is in 40 minutes)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't want to be embarassed tomorrow if Friday come only 80mn, but this is fucking crazy. 

Even if it follow Force Awaken throughout day, which was very pre-sales heavy, it is looking at 90mn Friday. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4703372

• Astonished 1

To put China in perspective, Transformers 3 made 300 million there and everyone lost their minds.  That was huge at the time.....EG is going to make that in 5 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think we're in the phase of where we didn't think anything was topping the Avengers for a long while other than a sequel, and JW kinda came out of nowhere and did it.

But there's no follow up to Endgame (Avengers I mean) anytime soon and even if there was, I think we'd assume it can't top this. So...shrug. It'll happen when it happens, but the OW record usually doesn't (hasn't?) made it 5 years with one film

Yeah... the longest the OW record has last since 1975 is 4.5 years. That was The Lost World and even that was only so persistent because The Phantom Menace opened on a Wednesday. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

It's not impossible Endgame pushes the number so high that it lasts than that, but I wouldn't count on it. Inflation is one big factor, but these mega openers also change the way audiences digest them. The bigger an opening weekend, the more it conditions more people to tune in as soon as possible to see an hyped film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

To put China in perspective, Transformers 3 made 300 million there and everyone lost their minds.  That was huge at the time.....EG is going to make that in 5 days.

Transformers 4 actually. 😉

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just for perspective that preview number is higher than the Incredible Hulk and Ant-Man's opening weekends.  And it just falls short of Thor and Captain America: the First Avenger weekends

• Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So it could break IW's true day record ($82m Saturday) on a Friday?

Nuts.

• Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

image.jpg

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Yeah... the longest the OW record has last since 1975 is 4.5 years. That was The Lost World and even that was only so persistent because The Phantom Menace opened on a Wednesday. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

It's not impossible Endgame pushes the number so high that it lasts than that, but I wouldn't count on it. Inflation is one big factor, but these mega openers also change the way audiences digest them. The bigger an opening weekend, the more it conditions more people to tune in as soon as possible to see an hyped film.

All the biggest franchises, brands and characters of the last 42 years have peaked.

ALL of THEM.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think we're in the phase of where we didn't think anything was topping the Avengers for a long while other than a sequel, and JW kinda came out of nowhere and did it.

But there's no follow up to Endgame (Avengers I mean) anytime soon and even if there was, I think we'd assume it can't top this. So...shrug. It'll happen when it happens, but the OW record usually doesn't (hasn't?) made it 5 years with one film

OW Record Years Since Batman Shattered it in 1989 (off the top of my head, forgive me if i'm wrong)

Batman: 1989

Batman Returns: 1992

Jurassic Park: 1993

Batman Forever: 1995

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 1997

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone: 2001

Spider-Man: 2002

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mean's Chest: 2006

Spider-Man 3: 2007

The Dark Knight: 2008

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: 2011

Marvel's The Avengers: 2012

Jurassic World: 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 2015

Avengers: Infinity War: 2018

Avengers: Endgame: 2019

The past 30 years of history tells us that believe it or not, SOMETHING will break this opening weekend record in under 5 years (as you said).  Maybe another Avenger's movie?

Other stats:

Batman: 4x  

Avengers: 3x 

Jurassic Park: 3x

Harry Potter: 2x

Spider-Man: 2x 

Marvel as a whole counting MCU and Non MCU: 5x

DC and Marvel: 9x

Batman and Avengers have broken their own records back to back. Avengers is the first to break its own record a year later from the same franchise (or at least the last 30 years).

Comic books, Space Operas, Wizards, Pirates, and Dinosaurs oh my.....

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

And if Saturday is as big as POTUS believe it could be, maybe 4 days.

You have to wonder how an Avengers film would do if it was released in December. I am surprised that Marvel haven't released a film in that month considering Into the Spider-Verse and Aquaman proved that you can do very well in that month with superhero films.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

You can't hype me up for 90M and give me just 80M Charlie. This is not how it works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1