Eric Furiosa

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

42 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'm gathering that the "Not as good as Infinity War" folks generally prefer narrative and pacing to character work.

If you prefer character work to narrative and pacing then Endgame will come off as better for you.

These are generalisations of course, but they seem to be the pattern. I suspect you have little to worry about so long as you like getting invested in characters.

Sorry that this post is very long, and doesn't have much to do with the actual box office numbers (at least I mention them here, though!)

The "character work" for nearly all of the cast of "Infinity War" came in the first twenty movies.
And the development of Thanos, like @Broshnat and @PPZVGOS  stated, is some of the best "character work" of a film villain ever.

The best way I can describe "Endgame" is as - first third "Spider-Man 2," the second third "Spider-Man 3," and the final third, "Spider-Man." The first part of the movie is utterly fantastic. Once again, we come in expecting one thing, and the Russo Brothers upend that expectation while still delivering incredible results. The second part was a cop out. They had so much from the previous films and they could have used to differentiate the film from the lazy writing of many of the comics, and they still did it. I sincerely appreciated the homage, however. The third and final act was fanboy art. I don't think its the type of successfully executed sequence of scenes we'll ever witness again.

Maybe I don't understand because I didn't go to Film Review School, but a lot of what I see in contrarian-to-contrarian dislike for "Infinity War" (and for many movies that go against the critic-grain) is coming into a movie with extreme dislike and then justifying that dislike however possible, simply because the movie is held in high regard. I'm not the cheeriest cookie in the cupboard, but even that amount of misplaced hatred is too much for me. Many of the same critics also purposefully do the opposite, especially for highly-anticipated sequels they can tell won't be as highly regarded as the previous; lavish the sequel with praise and invoke some "deep understanding" needed to get it, because the latter was just 'big-punch-whoo-rah,' 'brawny-brawn.'

All-in-all, "Endgame" did not meet my expectations.

However, "Endgame" did not meet my disappointment either.

Yesterday was the end of an era for me, that began when my friend who worked at a theater got me into the original "Iron Man" without paying, because as a high school student going into college, I didn't want to spend money on a movie I thought for sure would not be very good... I saw it twice again afterwards, paying both times.

My utmost respect and appreciation goes out to everyone who has been involved for the past eleven years, in not just bringing these characters to life, but doing an incredible amount of justice to them.

Nice to meet you guys,

I Am

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Congrats to Endgame! Can't believe 300 million is happening (I still believe Force Awakens would've done it or come extremely close if it was released in the summer). Crazy. Theoretically, how high can an opening go? Could we see a 375-400 million opener within the next 10 years?

At some point is there any point in a debate or conversation regarding....

MCU 2019 > Star Wars Adjusted

MCU 2019 > Gone With the Wind Adjusted

For reference MCU 2018 was at $1.604b compared to Star Wars' $1.608b and GWTW $1.827b.

That was of course with the juggernauts of both Black Panther and IW, but with the limited success of AM&TW.

Is that a conversation and comparison worth having?

After taking into account the increase average ticket prices in past 3 and half years, TFA's 57M previews would probably adjusted to higher than 60M. I was under impression that Endgame has significantly more screens and more sold outs than TFA. So is it a bit underwhelmed if it is "only" 60M in preview? I am very rooted for Endgame, in fact months ago I already said for it to break 300M OW, it has to do at least 20M more than A:IW in preview (39+20 = 59M), hopefully 65-70M.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes but it would also count pre-sales. 

Just looking at pre-sale charts I think 80s is a reasonable Friday target.  My local Regal (which is rather sizaeable) was doing 46.5% more on Friday than Thur (which was a near sell out) and that was as of Wed.   A full Friday slate would easily have been 50% more,  But say it over indexed and Friday was just 35% higher - that would mean $81m

Well, breaking true Friday record of 68M by smashing all the way to 80M+ sounds like something an Avengers film would so lest it happen.

Although, I would take a lower Friday if that means 100M Saturday could happen 

2 minutes ago, justvision said:

After taking into account the increase average ticket prices in past 3 and half years, TFA's 57M previews would probably adjusted to higher than 60M. I was under impression that Endgame has significantly more screens and more sold outs than TFA. So is it a bit underwhelmed if it is "only" 60M in preview? I am very rooted for Endgame, in fact months ago I already said for it to break 300M OW, it has to do at least 20M more than A:IW in preview (39+20 = 59M), hopefully 65-70M.

21 million more in previes from iw is nothing to sneeze at mcu was never king of the previews yet .... also we still could see 65 for previews

5 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Lol. It's like Endgame has a hitlist

• break preview record
  • break single day record on true Friday
  • break single day record AGAIN on Saturday
  • break OW record
  • break DOM record
  • break WW record
  • break the earth as a whole

I have my doubts about domestic record.  That's going to be tough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, justvision said:

More screens and sellouts but most likely fewer showings with the 3 hour run time which require a 4 hour block for 30 freaking minutes of trailers and then time to clean

Though it's 8am PST - they're probably still counting from 5am shows - hence the nice round number.

8 minutes ago, TomeRide said:

Tbh, this number just makes me appreciate DH2's midnights all the more. $43.5M in half the time that Endgame had, and with 2011 ticket prices. What the actual fuck. 

i don't even get it, we already knew how the story ended.