Eric is Quiet

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't want to be embarassed tomorrow if Friday come only 80mn, but this is fucking crazy. 

Even if it follow Force Awaken throughout day, which was very pre-sales heavy, it is looking at 90mn Friday. 

I suggest you to expect 80mn for now, but we are in Endgame now.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

You have to wonder how an Avengers film would do if it was released in December. I am surprised that Marvel haven't released a film in that month considering Into the Spider-Verse and Aquaman proved that you can do very well in that month with superhero films.

If you put an Avengers film in December, it would have a lower OW but higher legs. Endgame probably would not have reached 300 mil OW in December because people would decide to watch across the whole week instead of just the weekend (especially if it is Christmas week). Endgame would have made a bit more in December but not much more than that. Aquaman didn't perform so well DOM because of December but because it had good WOM. If it released in the Summer, it would have reached around 325 mil with a 100 mil+ opening.

21 minutes ago, Stewart said:

From the South Korea thread:

So 2.2% of people on OPENING DAY were repeat viewers... With no midnights that's absurd. That's around 30,000 people took 7 hours out of their day to watch Endgame. That's just batshit bonkers.

People here are really underestimating the legs this thing might have

I was one of them...

I accidently bought tickets to the 5pm and 9pm(due to presale mania, and sites going down, did not realize the one actually went through) to the premium screen at the theater. After watching it the 1st time I said screw it why not do it again, walked over to ihop ate some pancakes, walked back into theater for round 2. Now this theater is 45 min from my house so I kinda justified it that way... 

Oh ya, it held up incredibly during round 2. Despite having literally just watched. Usually I wait a minimum of 2 days to have time to absorb it before going back for another round. I will say some parts were actually better and more meaningful the 2nd time, obviously 1st time is best since I went in unspoiled and was got to experience all the twists. But I will just say I was still on the edge of my seat 2nd time for much of the movie.

Edited by Birdo Mandingo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

And if Saturday is as big as POTUS believe it could be, maybe 4 days.

More importantly if the massive Holiday allows for actual legs as well we could see 580+ million.....dare I say 600 just from China.

9 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Yeah... the longest the OW record has last since 1975 is 4.5 years. That was The Lost World and even that was only so persistent because The Phantom Menace opened on a Wednesday. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/pastrecords.htm

It's not impossible Endgame pushes the number so high that it lasts than that, but I wouldn't count on it. Inflation is one big factor, but these mega openers also change the way audiences digest them. The bigger an opening weekend, the more it conditions more people to tune in as soon as possible to see an hyped film.

Right. The percentage of reserved seating and premium seating increases every single weekend, as various theaters upgrade and remodel across the country.

Right this second, it feels like this record will last a long, long time, because we can't imagine what could top this hype train. But who knows, The Rise of Skywalker could really hype people up for the end of another saga, one that started way back in the 70s, though I certainly wouldn't bet money on it as of today.

The record could last 6 months, it could last more than 6 years.

We might have to wait for Fast and the Furious vs Jurassic World in 2025 to finally see 300 broken again. And seriously, who wouldn't want to see Vin Diesel, The Rock, and Chris Pratt team up to take on a bunch of dinosaurs, especially if those dinosaurs are driving cars!!! That movie is going to make all the money!

(Ryan Reynolds will voice the velociraptor?)

17 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Wait. 140-150m is the range at only 9 am PST. What is this sorcery?

Most likely an estimation based on sold out shows, and near capacity ones, reported via Fandango and similar theater sites taking into account movie cost in said locations.

• Like 1

It's hard to say if a movie can top Endgame any time soon, because the slate is so barren. 2021 has only just started adding big movies in, albeit almost entirely just animated movies and DC projects, while 2022 is almost entirely "untitled" movies, outside of Mission: Impossible and Aquaman.

Admittedly, I do feel like a Force Awakens-style Harry Potter sequel could beat Endgame, but that's something WB is probably saving until the late 20s or 30s.

20 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Still not coming even close to close to this. Nothing is coming close in the the next 5 years. You don’t get something like this from 1 nice Batman movie and then a team up. People need to get this out of their heads 

I actually agree, the only movies I can see having a puncher's chance are:

A Matt Reeve's Batman Sequel- This would require Reeve's first Batman film to be universally accepted as being better than the Dark Knight, and Batman would have to be reinvented in some way and Phoenix's Joker would have to be well received, not a one off, and included in the sequel; likely not happening.

Harry Potter 9 with the original cast

Star Wars sequel trilogy movie, barring Episode 9 gains confidence back from the fans.

I thought Lion King could break the record but I will respectfully take that back.

If it's not an MCU-related/Avengers movie it might be something that isn't even on the radar right now.

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm just gonna wait a few more hours until I really start believing these numbers.  Still have literally all day left.

the local theater I track is completely sold out for the entire day minus 2 seats for the 12:30pm 3d showing (which starts in 30 min).

All walk ins will be directed over to the 2 AMCs in town without reserved seating, and even those places have 1/3 complete sellout showing. 

I think he could be right about a high 80s Friday. But the key thing is if it does that WE WILL NOT see much of a Saturday bump, small one sure, but at least near me (SE Georgia) it is playing like a super massive Saturday on a Friday. (basically all the matinees are selling out too which is typically where Sat increases come from)