Eric the Fall Guy

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

If Avatar somehow hits the zeitgeist again, then I guess you can't rule out the third and fourth films having a shot at the OW record.  I doubt it but at this point that's the only slight possibility at this point.

The zeitgeist included a rock bottom US dollar in a free falling US economy. I'd really like to avoid that.

That and I'd like 3D to continue it's death spiral in the US.  No mouth to mouth revival by Avatar 2 please.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Well, you never know. This time ten years ago there were only two MCU movies and I don't think anyone back then would expect it to become what it is now.

The next big thing could be just coming over the horizon now.

But ten years ago, we at least had the beginning of the MCU and the opening weekend record at that point wasn't so much bigger than it's predecessor.  Ten years ago TDK was the OW king, and it took it from SM3, a mere 7 mill.  SM3 took it from POTC at 135.  You see where I'm going with this?  EG is going to open with about 340 million.  It's going to be about 80 million bigger than the last film.  It's absolutely crushing the record that was set just last year.  After this there just isn't anything this big in pipe.  I could be wrong of course but I just don't see it at this point.  

• Like 9

Just now, TalismanRing said:

The zeitgeist included a rock bottom US dollar in a free falling US economy. I'd really like to avoid that.

That and I'd like 3D to continue it's death spiral in the US.  No mouth to mouth revival by Avatar 2 please.

I'm not saying I want it...just saying that if there is a tiny smidge of a possibility then Avatar would have to be that possibility.

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

This weekend kind of feels like the end. The end of cinema as we know it. Ending with a big bang, never to be reached again. The end of source material connecting millions of people.

From here on, there's no source material left to be made into a movie of this scale. Material, that broight us together. From here on, individualism will succeed even more. 

May the bang be even bigger than we think at the moment. 
It's a magical weekend. 

While I don't think we'll see something on the scale of Endgame, Marvel Studios likely will do another crossover films, there things like Secret Wars, Avengers vs X-Men to name but a few. Marvel have really only scratched the surface in terms of stories

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

But ten years ago, we at least had the beginning of the MCU and the opening weekend record at that point wasn't so much bigger than it's predecessor.  Ten years ago TDK was the OW king, and it took it from SM3, a mere 7 mill.  SM3 took it from POTC at 135.  You see where I'm going with this?  EG is going to open with about 340 million.  It's going to be about 80 million bigger than the last film.  It's absolutely crushing the record that was set just last year.  After this there just isn't anything this big in pipe.  I could be wrong of course but I just don't see it at this point.  

can Endgame challenge The Lost World: Jurassic Park, the movie which has held the opening week-end record for the longest time so far? (~4.5 years)

We'll know in 2025 :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

The Harry Potter sequel with the original trio. Whenever that comes out, it has a shot at the record.

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know we said the same thing when TFA came out but I'm certain that nothing will touch this OW for at least a decade.  When TFA came out, you still had MCU going strong.  But now that both SW and MCU phase 1 are through, and with some of the cast presumably not coming back (many of them have said publicly that they will not play the character again) there's nothing in this scale that can come anywhere close to challenging this kind of crazy number.  The OW of 330-350 is just too much to comprehend.  So I feel safe and confident in saying that it will take at least a decade before anything of this magnitude is seen again.

I hope it takes awhile for this to be broken. I kind of want this to be a special record 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm not saying I want it...just saying that if there is a tiny smidge of a possibility then Avatar would have to be that possibility.

True.  The next record breaker if it happens any time in the next 5 years will most likely come from a sequel to a huge established blockbuster or franchise and Avatar looks to be the only thing non MCU related that qualifies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Can't say I disagree with any of this but even two weeks ago I thought that there was no chance that this would come close to the numbers we're seeing today, so forgive me for keeping an open mind :lol:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When those movies only made $2.55 billion between them it was truly a dire time. ^_^

Ultron reign for highest grossing disappointment will last longer than EG record breaking OW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Remember when we said the finale bump may not show up for this because IW already played like a finale? LOL. This will probably end up with the DH2 bump after all lmao.

That and there's less characters - featuring the same old same old OG6 at that - so there goes the novelty and cross over fans. ^_^

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John C-Nah said:

The Harry Potter sequel with the original trio. Whenever that comes out, it has a shot at the record.

IMHO, not a chance.  Then again, I have misjudged Potter before but I just don't see it being 300 mill OW big.

• Haha 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Can't say I disagree with any of this but even two weeks ago I thought that there was no chance that this would come close to the numbers we're seeing today, so forgive me for keeping an open mind :lol:

CJohn has been warning you all 300M OW was possible. And you all thought he was insane. He is probably laughing now...

tenor.gif

• Like 5