Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

So my short term prediction is that this thread will be depressed tomorrow when it only does 97 million but will be euphoric on Sunday when it does 83 million. 

I think there we will be so short on supply tomorrow that regardless of GOT demand is going to spill like crazy into Sunday. 

I am already seeing 50% of showtimes sold out for sunday at the theater I track. There is 1 showing sunday that has a lot of seats, the 10pm showing is currently about 50% sold out. I suspect that showing will be 90-95% with further presales and walkups when all is said and done.

Edited by Birdo Mandingo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I'm not going to see it in theatres. I feel like the only person in the world who has no interest in it. I am obsessed with its box office performance though. We may not see anything like this again for quite some time. 

And you call yourself fanboy? smh 🙄

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Crazy to think what kind of numbers Ad Astra is gonna pull if a mere Avengers movie can rake in this much dough.

People say it was a stroke of brilliance to show so little of Endgame in the marketing... You may be onto something here!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Imo

Need 12mn to maintain 207 257 streak.

CA: Civil War legs = $786m

Age of Ultron legs = $828m

Infinity War legs = $909m

The Avengers legs = $1.036b

Black Panther legs = $1.195b

• Haha 1

I remember in 2002 when Spider-Man opened to $114M, people were shocked. In 2006, people were again shocked when DMC got $135M, and then a year later Spider-Man 3 got $151M and we thought that was as high as it gets. Then, a year later, TDK got $158M and people were like this is insane, and we really thought it couldn't get any higher. Then, 3D came out, and yes, DH2 broke it. But, we saw that one coming, but then a year later in 2012, the mother of all movies came out increasing OW by a whopping $38M and grossing $207M. We're like it, yah, that's it. But, then TFA got $247M and we really thought that was the height of BO as in no movie could truly go higher. IW then came out and got $257M, very impressive, although inflation-wise TFA wa still in the lead....

And, now, one year later, all logic, and everything we believed to know about BO has been thrown out the window with a truly unfathomable BO opening, and we're still in the middle of Friday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It feels odd to say, but Avatar record seems more in danger than TFA.

10 years. Well done Avatar. Now its time for new sun to rise.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it beat Avatar WW(only because thats been the fanboy fallback line when TFA demolished it domestically in 2015), but domestic is still by far the most important and relevant market.  I'd prefer it to beat TFA domestic than beat Avatar WW.  Actually, I want 1 billion domestic. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

People say it was a stroke of brilliance to show so little of Endgame in the marketing... You may be onto something here!

Has anyone ever seen James Gray and Kevin Feige in the same room?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I love those kinds of weekends, probably in part because they’re so rare.

I always think it's better for lots of movies to do well rather than one dominating because the wealth is spread out. There's so many examples of films that open against a tentpole and still did great business.

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

This is dead on. 

The less you show, the more people are rabid to come to the show. 

I didn’t watch the final Endgame trailer until after I saw the movie for fear of any kind of spoiler. There was literally nothing in it. Bravo Disney. 

People like surprises and the discovery of wonders when watching the actual film. 

TFA kind of did this too with its marketing. Endgame took it to the next level of showing next to nothing. Great stuff. 

It does depend on the film, Godzilla without the money shots would be difficult to market and I think Shazam as good as that film was, could have used a few shots of the Deadly sins to appeal to the action crowd.

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Another way to put this opening in perspective.

Everyone remembers how crazy American Sniper's run was. God-like, in almost every way. Endgame is going to eclipse that movie's entire run in 4 days max. Another way to say it is Endgame is going to make more $ in 3-4 days than any movie in the calendar year of 2014.

American Sniper's run is still damn impressive considering the type of film it was and when it was released.

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

why I would love 900 or 1 billion I kinda hope we get it in the mid 800s (and I think it is possible). Right now we have 2 movies in the 700s and 1 in the 900s... things feel out of balance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

I was just doing some rough calculations for Worldwide opening weekend.

OS total through Thursday including China - 305

Now lets look at Friday. We already have China (63.75) and South Korea numbers (8.4). Plus for Dom lets take a little smaller number than Rth's low end conservative estimate. So lets assume a Dom Friday of 145m. So total through Friday including all these numbers are:-

Total through Friday = 522 (remember this does not include OS Friday numbers as they have not been reported yet with exception of China and SK)

- China through Sunday looks to be adding 120m more on conservative side (realistically probably more)

- Dom through Sunday looks to be adding 165m more (for a total Dom weekend of 310. Again some might call it conservative)

Total through Sunday = 807m (Does not include OS FSS except for China)

Now guessing OS FSS is gonna be difficult so I went and looked at how Infinity War performed over the weekend. Infinity War and Endgame opened in almost exactly the same territories OS so there wont be too much difference here).

Using Infinity War drops over OS weekend and applying same number to Endgame gives 442m OS FSS.

Total through Sunday with all countries = 807+442 = 1249m

I cannot comprehend that number. We were all expecting it to cross 1b WW but cross it by this much? @Charlie Jatinder what do you think? Is my math wrong or is this possible?

• Like 6
  • Astonished 4