Eric the IF

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Jimbo has abandoned Avatar 1. First sign of the apocalypse. :bourne:

Hold up there fella

Still a long way to go.

This is the real swing at Jim in 22 years and it's taken 22mcu films of build up to get there, kinda poetic if even in a studio manufacturered heartless sort of way. If the MCU misses now they'll never be at the top, they'll fizzle out before they can touch Avatar 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I just cant fathom all of this. This is stupidly crazy.

And im so glad ive discovered these forums back in 2014. With weekends like these, i always remember why i love following the box office so much.

Oh and 2 things that came to my mind:

1) I actually think that Endgame had an effect on the winter/spring box office and depressed the grosses of the movies (except Captain Marvel obviously) a bit. I know we joked about familys saving money for Pika-Pika, but ... i actually think they saved it for Endgame lol.

2) Yes, if Endgame goes to 800M-1B DOM, all the movies in May be getting hit (Godzilla, i pray for you), but on the other hand - Endgame could also help them! All these trailers are now shown before hundreds of million of people around the world - there isnt better marketing or a better way to let people see you trailers than that.

I think we're in for a fucking historic next month boys and girls.

So I've been trying to scroll through a bunch of posts that dropped while I was asleep (only 13 more to go!), but I wanted to mention this stuff, because your second query's legit interesting and something I wanna talk about.

Everybody keeps saying stuff like "OMG THIS MOVIE IS A HIT AND IS GONNA HURT THIS NEW MOVIE" whenever we get a breakout hit, and I've never believed that. I definitely think movies currently in theaters get hurt by a breakout (look at Shazam), but for movies that aren't out yet? Nah. If theaters think a movie has the goods, they're willing to accommodate screens for it and cut down movies no one cares about or even Endgame screens.

If anything, having a breakout helps future movies, because people are seeing posters for new movies, and in the case of  Endgame, trailers. Godzilla and Pikachu are playing during Endgame showings, and Aladdin is attached to the 3D shows. DHD is reporting 3D is accounting for 20% of business, which is at least $70M of business. Not a bad amount of eyeballs. Sure, maybe they all bomb or perform under expectations, but I'd blame that on other factors instead of a $350M opening.

• Like 4