Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

How fitting that after the first Avengers movie became the first movie to open over $200M the last one smashes past $300M and then some. The rest of the summer is gonna seem so small in comparison, even with so many potential blockbusters on the horizon.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Just one million below The Dark Knight Rises' OW and 100M true Friday gross.

giphy.webp

Not factoring in inflation, 3d, and shooing tho which is like another $100m

• Haha 1

These numbers tell me a huge part of the Force Awakens audience were in deed doing their holiday  shopping and had no time to go to the movies.

Endgame had 11 years of hype.

Force Awakens had 32 years of hype covering almost 4 (3?) generations.

So yes Force Awakens OW was deflated by holiday season IMO.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

This really does make the other large opening weekends (IW/TFA/JW/TLJ) look sort of disappointing retrospectively (not that they are). 

All that talk about TFA and IW approaching a cap on an OW...and then the floodgates open like this 

All other things being equal (marketing, competition, etc.) TFA's and TLJ's openings would've been larger outside of December with worse multipliers than they received.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/27106-how-much-do-release-dates-matter/?tab=comments#comment-3680084

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Asia is wild card. I expect Europe and may be Domestic to drop but Asia has grown very well.

But then thing is, Avatar "was" and now its just world' highest grossing film. Ask anyone what's name of lead character, most won't know here in India. If Avatar is able to give that unique experience of original it will again go crazy and considering level of Asia now, that crazy is very wild.

Charlie please be here in 2 years thank you

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

153 is not official estimate. 153 and change is what comScore showing with 400 locs to report. When they are reported it will be around 159.  @CoolEric258

Usually at this time around, the unreported locs have around 1/3rd PTA of reported loc. That 159 estimate was based on that. Only distributor know about those unreported locs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How fitting that after the first Avengers movie became the first movie to open over $200M the last one smashes past $300M and then some. The rest of the summer is gonna seem so small in comparison, even with so many potential blockbusters on the horizon.

Yeah I hope we can at least keep a little perspective and not be disappointed by a film that might “only” open to 150 million for the weekend

But it’s BOT so perspective goes out the window 

• Like 1

Just now, VenomXXR said:

It's kinda hilarious to think that only a year ago, we believed IW FSS was possibly the "ceiling" on demand and capacity (not real capacity, I know it could hold more. I mean demand capacity). 

The thing is, with digital cinema, you can add screens very easily.

These records are all happening because of James Cameron, all cinemas switched to digital ( at that time it was for the 3d) for the release of Avatar.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lol rth seemed shocked by these numbers.

As box office experts...are these number shocking the industry?

Yep. This has broken virtually every model.

The challenge is that when only very few (or one) model suggests an outlandish number like this, it's almost impossible for analysts to go public with that kind of figure because it's wildly wrong 99 times out of 100. It's all about a regression to the mean, but those outliers come true every once in awhile.

Endgame is that 1 time.

Jurassic World was similarly shocking within the industry relative to expectations.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe Endgame of all movies, which was literally a lock to break the opening weekend record before its release is going above expectations in a comparable way to Black Panther. Obviously not as much percentage wise, but even the biggest MCU fanboy in me didn't expect something this big.

• Like 8

Just now, DAR said:

I’m generally curious how Monday is going to play.  Most people will be at work or school.  Unless there’s a holiday I’m not aware of 

Monday, shiiiiiiiiiit. My local theater with VIP seats already has showings sold out through Wednesday night as of yesterday

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1