Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I read the EW article on Endgame...and something struck me.  

It was a question - will we think of these movies 30 years from now?  And if we do, will we think of them as we do Star Wars (ala, it's still the most amazing thing we've ever seen and we're keeping it in our top 10 movie series ever done) or as we do a movie series whose time has come and gone...

Not having watched Endgame, but having actually watched the 1st 21 of 22 of these movies (go, me - 1 to go after Endgame), I think this will be the Star Wars of this generation...so wildly popular and enduring that you can't redo "this" one...ever...there's no going back to this saga for a long, long time.

The good thing is that they don't have to go back b/c of the sheer decades of material from the comics...but in this movie series, we are living through what will be done probably only once in our lives...just like no one has remade the Star Wars OT, we likely won't ever get a Thanos/Infinity War/Endgame set up again...

But it's Disney, so an Infinity Saga remake will come in 10-15 years time.

Some details per

https://www.screendaily.com/box-office/avengers-endgame-nears-250m-amid-record-international-opening-days/5138803.article

Avengers: Endgame has reached an estimated $240m from 25 international Wednesday opening days, including approximately $178.5m (RMB 1.2bn)  from the first two days in China.

Setting multiple opening day records at number one everywhere, the 22nd Marvel Studios release grossed $169m including the $107.2m from China on Wednesday alone.

The tentpole earned $8.4m in South Korea via Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International for the highest industry single day in admissions and highest non-holiday opening day, some 40% higher than that of Avengers: Infinity War, and debuted in Australia on $7m for the highest industry single day, some 17% higher than Avengers: Infinity Waropening day.

The superhero mash-up earned $6m in France (highest Marvel Cinematic Universe opening day, some 64% above that of Avengers: Infinity War), $5.8m in Italy (second highest industry opening day, aproximately 66% higher than the Infinity War comp), and $5.6m in Germany (third highest industry opening day, some 95% higher than Infinity War), with the UK and others launching on Thursday.

Avengers: Endgame grossed $3.9m in Philippines (highest industry single day, some 45% higher than Infinity War), $2.7m in Hong Kong (highest industry single day, some 98% higher than Infinity War), $2.6m in Taiwan (highest industry single day, some 50% higher than Infinity War), $2.5m in Indonesia (highest industry opening day, some 42% higher than Infinity War), $2.4m in Thailand (highest industry single day, some 36% higher than Infinity War), and $2m in Malaysia (highest industry opening day, roughly 40% above Infinity War).

Singapore delivered the third highest industry opening day, roughly 39% ahead of Infinity War, while New Zealand produced the highest industry single day, coming in at 45% higher than Infinity War. Endgame produced the highest industry opening days in the Netherlands, Greece and Egypt, the third highest in Austria and Iceland, and the highest superhero opening day of all-time in Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.

The tentpole is currently tracking ahead of Infinity War in all markets, although at this early stage Disney executives are saying it is difficult to compare overall performance to date as Infinty War in many cases opened on different days to Endgame in the 25 territories opened so far.

As previously reported, Endgame has already delivered the highest industry single day of all time in China including record midnight previews of $107.2m. By midnight on Thursday the runing total stood at RMB 1.2bn (roughly $178.5m) according to Maoyan. Infinity War opened there on a Friday. Early indications point to record-setting midnight previews in the UK, where the film opens on Thursday along with Brazil, Poland, Portugal, Argentina, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Rep, Hungary, Israel, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Ukraine, Panama, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad, Bolivia, and Chile.

Endgame opens in North America on Friday in more than 4,662 theaters (a record wide release), including more than 3,900 3D locations, 410 IMAX screens, 785 Premium Large Format screens, and 250 D-Box/4D locations. North American previews begin on Thursday at 6pm, and the final market is Russia on Monday (29).

• Like 9

Um guys, I know everyone glossed over that last article from Deadline....but there is a shocking piece of data that makes me think this weekend is gonna blow up even larger than we think

Fandango officially reports today that Avengers: Endgame before opening at 6PM tonight, is officially their biggest ticket preseller of all-time with 8K showtimes already sold out coast to coast (and beyond), from Hilo, Hawaii to Newington, New Hampshire.

This is utterly huge!!!  Let’s compare this with what fandango reported after IW’s preview number was released: 

“Fandango said the sales represented the company’s highest opening night percentage for a superhero movie. It noted that more than 2,500 showtimes sold out on Fandango before the film opened, adding that theater owners are continuing to add new showtimes throughout the weekend to meet fan demand.”

links are below for both articles

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-fandango-biggest-preseller-of-all-time-1202602025/amp/

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/fandango-sells-avengers-infinity-war-opening-night-tickets-1202790779/amp/

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 10

Just now, Stewart said:

But ....

animated

Spoiler

to make a live-action remake of that another 6 years later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It was a question - will we think of these movies 30 years from now?  And if we do, will we think of them as we do Star Wars (ala, it's still the most amazing thing we've ever seen and we're keeping it in our top 10 movie series ever done) or as we do a movie series whose time has come and gone...

Not having watched Endgame, but having actually watched the 1st 21 of 22 of these movies (go, me - 1 to go after Endgame), I think this will be the Star Wars of this generation...so wildly popular and enduring that you can't redo "this" one...ever...there's no going back to this saga for a long, long time.

The good thing is that they don't have to go back b/c of the sheer decades of material from the comics...but in this movie series, we are living through what will be done probably only once in our lives...just like no one has remade the Star Wars OT, we likely won't ever get a Thanos/Infinity War/Endgame set up again...

Pretty sure it will endure. It's an iconic movie franchise. Though I'm sure some specific films will mostly be forgotten, the best of the MCU/Avengers films will endure. It'll have a ton of nostalgia for the people who grew up with it in the coming decades and will be a defining pop cultural touchstone of the 2010s.

And I think you're right, it's going to be too iconic to touch again in a remake. Though I'm sure you'll have some of the old-timers come back for a nice paycheck as a mentor figure for a new Iron Man or Captain America or what have you.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 4

Just now, Alli said:

Will these Marvel movies stand the test of time? Will people in, say 30 years regard them as classics or as disposable entertainment?

Im pretty sure Thor 2 was regarded as disposable entertainment in 2013 already :ph34r::ph34r::stirthepot:

• Haha 6

Just sitting in my theatre in the UK now. It’s crazy, it’s the first time I’ve had theatre workers come and check we’re all in the right seats because the cinema is probably sold out. Not even IW, where my showing was sold out bar the front row or so had this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Terrence Howard as War Machine in the remake.

Guaranteed success.  

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But ....

animated

Reveal hidden contents

You know what I'd really love to see, an Animated version of that new Lion King movie coming out, I mean it looks realistic and all, but I want a nice 2D animated version!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I had to drop my showing tomorrow for a business-related thing, so now I have to wait until Saturday...if there are even any seats left.

giphy.gif

Did you at least get to sell those seats for $1000 on eBay once you realized you couldn’t use them?

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Will these Marvel movies stand the test of time? Will people in, say 30 years regard them as classics or as disposable entertainment?

People have always underestimated Feige and he always proves. 

Just wait. It is fucking 11 years and Marvel still going strong. 

I think Infinity saga will be classic. 

TDW and IH will get the respect they deserve by future audience. As people will see this as collective saga. 

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It is far more popular & iconic than you assume it is.

Yep. I see it as being "Dormant". 

It's not an active volcano like MCU or SW, but instead a dormant volcano just waiting to erupt

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No offense but Star Wars is just a linear trilogy / franchise. We have had plenty of those. Lord of the ring, Harry Potter etc. MCU is a complex cinematic universe with interconnected stories and characters. It has never been done before. 22 movies in 10 years is beyond insane. I would not put them on the same level. 

Edited by HeadShot

Just now, xiazhi said:

all is started by someone who can't stand the fact the CM is surpassing WW domestic.

Doesnt matter.

You are not gonna change anyone's opinions here. The rest of us don't want to read it.