Eric the Ape

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

Just now, Alli said:

Critique Avatar all you want, but it brought innovation to movie making. What did Marvel brought...anything extraordinary?

Marvel did bring something extraordinary... -$300 to my bank account!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I read the EW article on Endgame...and something struck me.  

It was a question - will we think of these movies 30 years from now?  And if we do, will we think of them as we do Star Wars (ala, it's still the most amazing thing we've ever seen and we're keeping it in our top 10 movie series ever done) or as we do a movie series whose time has come and gone...

Not having watched Endgame, but having actually watched the 1st 21 of 22 of these movies (go, me - 1 to go after Endgame), I think this will be the Star Wars of this generation...so wildly popular and enduring that you can't redo "this" one...ever...there's no going back to this saga for a long, long time.

The good thing is that they don't have to go back b/c of the sheer decades of material from the comics...but in this movie series, we are living through what will be done probably only once in our lives...just like no one has remade the Star Wars OT, we likely won't ever get a Thanos/Infinity War/Endgame set up again...

Agreed, i don't think any of the MCU characters (aside from possibly Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark, maybe Black Panther due to significance) will be as remembered or revered as say, Yoda/Obi Wan/Darth/Luke/Leia/Han but that said  if i were to separate cinematic villains into "Tiers" I would place Thano's from Infinity War (and likely Endgame) as a Tier 2 borderline Tier 1 level villain. You've got Hannibal Lecter, The Wicked Witch, Darth Vader, The Joker, Norman Bates, etc and then you have John Doe (Se7en), T-1000, T-800, The Predator, Thanos, Etc then you have other great villain that are a slight tier below (Killmonger, Zod, etc i'm splitting hairs here); anyway -I believe Thanos was THAT awesome and that memorable of a villain and HE is what will elevate the "Thanos/Infinity War/Endgame" portion of the MCU into a stratosphere that will be held in high regard 30-50 years from now. Thanos could definitely be argued as Darth / Joker level in terms of memorable blockbuster movie villains. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Endgame has entered IMDB top 250 at #17 all time on their top 250 movies. It will rise as more votes come in.

Infinity War peaked at #9 for a while. Lets see if i can match or surpass that.

Average rating 9.2 with 30000 votes.

actual at #10, still 9.2 with 47.549. One star givers 1.148

16 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - I'm kidding, but only kinda:)...Black Panther did open the door to supers able to get nominated last year...and you all are making it sound like this movie is the ultimate achievement (don't tell me til May 7th at 10pm EST:)...

BP got it for having markers the top critics like (see usually av rating of top critics is way under the general average, but BPs top critic av. way over the general average), you wont see the same with A EG

16 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I've got your parking lot report right here!

Disney-World-Magic-Kingdom.jpg

For what is that parking space?

9 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Australia - 2nd day over TFA OD likely

New Zealand - 2nd day over TFA OD likely

Thailand - OD record

Italy - OD record for Hollywood movies

Philippines - OD record

Philippines - Biggest single day record

Germany - 3rd biggest OD in €, 7th biggest in admissions (I know not a record but still impressive)

Nepal - OD record for Hollywood movies

Its extremly impressive for a country where no CBM is in the top 100 admission chart, and not even A IW ended in/on the 'at least €40m top 47' chart (that's at least $45m). There is btw a slight chance it might end even a bit higher on the admission chart, rather a lot of the smaller cinemas had it too offered (late in repeorting)

2 minutes ago, rihrey said:

I have to wait for like 2 weeks to finally see endgame, amazing. I'll go to the theater basically knowing the whole plot by then. :(

Try to avoid what is avoidable, but:

I've seen a lot of ppl reacting to the written plot or even to several clips they've seen, what they wrote was mostly still very much not matching to the movie's impact and more.

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine is the manager at one of the big Los Angeles theaters and he's cautioned me that ENDGAME's Sunday numbers are lagging quite a bit behind INFINITY WAR's for the same day.

I thought he was fucking with me, but he says he's serious.

• ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well gee, I certainly can’t think of any long-term effect on the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Hollywood /s

I can think of a toxic effect on Hollywood. Many tried to copy trying to start a cinematic universe (The Mummy 2017 comes to mind) and they flopped right outta gate. Is this the influence we wanna duplicate?

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

A friend of mine is the manager at one of the big Los Angeles theaters and he's cautioned me that ENDGAME's Sunday numbers are lagging quite a bit behind INFINITY WAR's for the same day.

Well that tends to happen if everyone already saw it on Thursday, Friday and Saturday :qotd:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Well that tends to happen if everyone already saw it on Thursday, Friday and Saturday :qotd:

Yes, but everyone around here seems to think its going to have the legs to prevent any such drop-offs ;)

Edited by ViewerAnon

1 minute ago, ViewerAnon said:

GOT bringing down Endgame confirmed.

In all seriousness there should be a ton of spillover, especially if Saturday is as big as we are all expecting.

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Game of thrones is to blame. Why did they have to release their biggest episode this week? 

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

Critique Avatar all you want, but it brought innovation to movie making. What did Marvel bring...anything extraordinary?

Multiple innovation in technology, most notably it's the first movie to do Performance capture and 3D correctly, also the first movie to properly place massive amount of CGI characters in entirely CGI environment with simulated lighting, and some of its CGI remain unsurpassed till this day. And people say it's not remarkable?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Yes, but everyone around here seems to think its going to have the legs to prevent any such drop-offs ;)

Well that tends to happen when everyone who sees it Thursday, Friday, and Saturday realizes they need to see it again on Sunday :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

If lagging behind IW on Sunday means all the business is on Sat then so be it.

100M Saturday! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well gee, I certainly can’t think of any long-term effect on the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Hollywood /s

MCU is certainly very important and relevant, however, single films within MCU don't have that high of a status, MCU is important as a whole. The fact that someone has to drag the biggest film franchise of all time to compare to Avatar, is actually a compliment to Avatar. 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/avengers-endgame-selling-out-more-than-8000-showtimes-on-fandango/

Thursday, April 25 Update: The company has updated with the announcement that over 8,000 showtimes are now sold out.

LOS ANGELES (April 25, 2019) – As “Avengers: Endgame” opens wide tonight, Fandango is reporting that the film is now the biggest preseller in Fandango history, selling more advance tickets than sold for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the previous record holder.

Fandango’s new list of the top five presellers of all time are as follows:

“Avengers: Endgame” (2019)

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015)

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” (2017)

“Avengers: Infinity War” (2018)

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016)

So far, 8,000 showtimes of “Endgame” have already sold out on Fandango at theaters across the country – from big cities to small towns, from Hilo, Hawaii to Newington, New Hampshire. The nation’s theater chains are constantly posting new opening weekend showtimes and adding new screens for “Endgame” on Fandango.

Among the presales records that “Avengers: Endgame” has set on Fandango to date:

Biggest preseller of all time

“Endgame” broke Fandango’s best first-day sales record (previously set by “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”) in just six hours

Sold 5x as many tickets in the first week of presales as were sold for “Infinity War,” in the same window

FandangoNOW saw a nearly 50% increase in transactions on Marvel titles in the weeks since “Avengers: Endgame” tickets went on sale

“It’s pacing to be our biggest box office weekend of all time,” says Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis. “We’ve never seen so many new screens and new showtimes added to meet the demand. I expect fans to go back for repeat viewings of ‘Endgame’ throughout the weekend to catch all the things they missed in the film’s three-hour running time.”

Fans looking to get excited for “Endgame” and the incredible summer blockbuster season can check out Fandango Movieclips’ exhilarating Summer Movie Preview mashup here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I'd be interested to know what theater, because mine is already over 50% sold for Sunday and many of the ones we track are north of that. 

• Like 3