Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

with ancillary market, it'll probably reach break even point, which is more than you can say for any other previous Anime/Manga adaptations. 

I’m sure breaking even is what a studio has in mind when they spend time and money on making a blockbuster.  Alita bombed and Avatar 2 will probably as well. 

1 hour ago, Jatinder said:

No thread bans yet. What a downer.

The weekend's early. Perhaps we ought to ban anyone with access to numbers... that would generate some interesting reactions. 😶

32 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

So how bad you guys want shitposting?

The great weekend threads of the past were not because of shitposting.  It was an organic and orgasmic trip into topics unexpected. Hopefully those days will come back

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

That’s less than a 2.2x global multi, much less realistic than over Avatar. If you want a realistic low case maybe 2.3, realistic realistic case 2.45ish. 

Did infinity war open in China at the same time as everywhere else? Cause the multi would be skewed otherwise. 

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

I’m sure breaking even is what a studio has in mind when they spend time and money on making a blockbuster.  Alita bombed and Avatar 2 will probably as well. 

Both statements are wrong.

Alita financially underperformed, but its far from a true bomb. Look at something like Mortal Engines for a real bomb. Alita probably has a good chance at breaking even with post-theatralical business.

Anyone who thinks Avatar 2 will bomb is

1) kidding themselves

2) trolling

3) doesnt know anything about box office

And i say that as someone who was so-so on Alita and doesnt really care about Avatar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Avatar 2 will NOT bomb. I have doubts it'll go as high as fans say it will - hell I have doubts it will top the first one - but you can bet the marketing and hype in December 2020 will be off the charts. You're going to see Pandora stuff everywhere. It'll be a huge event and thus come nowhere close to bombing.

39 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Like you said, ww was preceded by bad movies, so its standard is much lower. MCU sure gives CM a boost in its opening but also raises its bar so high. WW has some great moments but when it's bad, it's really bad. CM is a solid movie all the way through. Between the two, CM is the better one.

Look, I really enjoyed CM saw twice in theaters (once with wife, then I took the kids). But my wife and I just watched WW again on Monday and it is just a better movie that is able to stand on its own. It definitely did not get any goodwill carried to it from the rest of the DCU. Chris Pine/ Gal Godot pairing >>> Larson/ SLJ   both movies do some fish out of water stuff both with mixed results

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-fandango-biggest-preseller-of-all-time-1202602025/

"Fandango officially reports today that Avengers: Endgame before opening at 6PM tonight, is officially their biggest ticket preseller of all-time with 8K showtimes already sold out coast to coast (and beyond), from Hilo, Hawaii to Newington, New Hampshire.

This easily crushes Fandango’s previous record holder, Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 6

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-fandango-biggest-preseller-of-all-time-1202602025/

"Fandango officially reports today that Avengers: Endgame before opening at 6PM tonight, is officially their biggest ticket preseller of all-time with 8K showtimes already sold out coast to coast (and beyond), from Hilo, Hawaii to Newington, New Hampshire.

This easily crushes Fandango’s previous record holder, Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

How about in Puerto Rico though?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Didn't this happen like... Last week though?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaybox said:

Lol. I already said MCU surpassed Star Wars worldwide though, I know the numbers; they're staggering.. I'm talking about simply in the United States. It hasn't. I mean I don't know what else needs to be said. 

Star Wars A New Hope adjusts to Well over a 1 billion

Star Wars Force Awakens Adjusts to 976 million, so basically 1 billion

Empire and Jedi adjust to over 850 plus million 

Menace over 815 million 

Take out the re-releases, Force Awakens is basically 1 billion. and the first star wars would likely still be in the top 10.

lol

and gone with the wind adjusts to a trillion dollars in the U.S. There is a reason we generally don’t use adjusted numbers but whatever makes you happy, I don’t want to be threabanned because my last thread ban was way too easy compared  what is allowed for other people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Both statements are wrong.

Alita financially underperformed, but its far from a true bomb. Look at something like Mortal Engines for a real bomb. Alita probably has a good chance at breaking even with post-theatralical business.

Anyone who thinks Avatar 2 will bomb is

1) kidding themselves

2) trolling

3) doesnt know anything about box office

And i say that as someone who was so-so on Alita and doesnt really care about Avatar.

Bomb is obv hyperbole but think of it from the perspective of the studio. If you spent years into making something and invested millions of dollars - would you consider barely breaking even an achievement?  

What makes you think Avatar will be a billion dollar success? The movie isn’t remembered or iconic and no one asked for a sequel. What exactly will get people interested? 

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

hmm. getting nostalgia. I lived in Hawaii when TFA came out and tracked all of the theaters on the Island very closely and reading the line about Hilo makes me want to check out how it is doing compared to TFA back on the Islands. 

Holy fucking shit, 21/22 of the 2D shows ranging from 5 PM to 1:20 AM at my theater as basically sold out, and the 2:20 show is about there quarters full. Dolby and IMAX are basically sold out for the first two shows, and the 2 AM shows are close to sellouts. Even 3D is pretty packed. If you want to see it tonight outside of nosebleed seats, you basically have to see a 3D show past midnight :ohmygod: 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

48 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Like you said, ww was preceded by bad movies, so its standard is much lower. MCU sure gives CM a boost in its opening but also raises its bar so high. WW has some great moments but when it's bad, it's really bad. CM is a solid movie all the way through. Between the two, CM is the better one.

Nah No Man's Land seen alone is better than most of if not all of CM. I felt like CM went through the motions. It was "necessary" but nothing special. 7-7.5 from me which is for some is accurate and for others is hating. WW's high notes: No Man's land, the crew WW rolled with, the movie score, the chemistry between Pine and Gadot, the fact that WW's character was so naive in regards to understanding the nature of mankind/humans, I really felt the movie was pretty stellar. The 3rd act falters but is no worse than run of the mill villain comic book movie fare ala Iron Man's Iron Monger, Whiplash, Ant Man's 3rd act, Hero meets final boss level esque stuff etc >  Captain Marvel. 

Meanwhile for CM it felt like the relationship between Cage and Danvers was forced, Brie, who is an excellent actor, seemed to sleep walk through the role with little to no charisma at all, which could be due to the fact she was brainwashed, but even when she had her epic "standing" scene other than that meh.

Solid but probably a middle of the pack comic book movie imo; I'd place (off the top of my head) All of Nolan's movies, Batman and Batman Returns, Superman the Movie, Superman 2, Wonder Woman, Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2, Hellboy 1 and 2, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim, X2, X-Men, DOFP, XM:FC, Deapool 1 and 2, Iron man 1, Thor 1 and 3, Guardians 1 and 2, Ant Man 1 and 2, All three Captain America's, Avengers 1 and 3, V For Vendetta, A History of Violence and maybe even a fair portion of Aquaman over Captain Marvel. CM is def better than Ultron, Iron Man 2/3, Thor 2, Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide Squad, and maybe incredible hulk (which i found to be not a bad as others to be honest it's hanging around there).

Edited by jaybox