sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

People are actually using box office as an argument for a film being better than another? Jesus Christ.

Like I said, everyone is just undermining what another movie did only to make the movie they like look better. 

Thats why these arguments are pointless. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

Can we just agree that EG is the record for the sprint but Titanic and Avatar are still the marathon champions?

I will always remember the sheer excitement in the theater seeing EG on the first Thursday. I will also always remember that everyone was talking about Titanic. Late night monologues, political cartoons, comic strips, cartoons, for weeks and months. Cultural penetration on a level not seen since the first Star Wars, and not matched by anything since. One does not negate the other for me.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

People are actually using box office as an argument for a film being better than another? Jesus Christ.

Transformers 2 was the second best film of 2009, yup, everybody  knows that come on now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

And maybe in as little as 18 months there's going to be another film that will talk and game. And if it doesn't happen in 18 months it'll be five years. And if it's not five years will be another decade.  With the rising costs or ticket prices there will always be another film that breaks the record eventually. 

There's a rumor going around in the James Cameroon camp that Avatar 2 will break the 4 billion threshold.  Not sure if true. How fucked up though.

tenor.gif?itemid=13149742

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

And maybe in as little as 18 months there's going to be another film that will talk and game. And if it doesn't happen in 18 months it'll be five years. And if it's not five years will be another decade.  With the rising costs or ticket prices there will always be another film that breaks the record eventually. 

It'll be broken again and again.

While China's market expansion may be getting slower, there are still lots of developing markets in South East Asia, South Asia, Middle east and in the more distant future, Africa. That, along with population increase in certain advanced nations like Australia, Canada and US, coupled with global inflation. I honestly don't see global box office plateauing until late this century. We're got years and years of growth ahead, and since we don't always have the likes of the Cameron duo films, these records will be broken by small margins (starting with endgame) and broken quite frequently, and again and again, it will be spectacular!

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well it is not everyday or every year or every five years that a film beats titanic and is poised to beat Avatar. TFA fell on its face for example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not so fast.

gpZkTwI.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I am hardly a fan of Titanic. I do prefer End Game over Titanic, but, I will admit that Titanic is the superior film in terms of quality and did earn it's accolades. Titanic, most dominating movie of it's time, and also had the most dominating soundtrack of it's time.  End Game is a good movie, but it's soundtrack will be no where near the legendary status of Titanic, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves or Bodyguard were. 

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves is a good soundtrack but legendary? Most people haven't heard of it

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh and what Endgame would’ve made in 1997 lol. 

We just have to go with the flow. It’s so much more different now than it used to be. 

There were no previews, midnights, IMAX, Superscreen, 3D, 4DX, Dolby, International markets were smaller, no social media, no online advertising. 

You literally had to go check a newspaper to see what times Titanic was playing at.

It’s amazing how much it’s changed 

Can you imagine this good looking CGI actionfest released in 1997? It would earn all the money in the world :hahaha:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

It'll be broken again and again.

While China's market expansion may be getting slower, there are still lots of developing markets in South East Asia, South Asia, Middle east and in the more distant future, Africa. That, along with population increase in certain advanced nations like Australia, Canada and US, coupled with global inflation. I honestly don't global box office plateauing until late this century. We're got years and years of growth ahead, and since we don't always have the likes of the Cameron duo films, these records will be broken by small margins (starting with endgame) and broken quite frequently, and again and again, it will be spectacular!

So why wasn’t titanic surpassed in the last, i don’t know, 22 years ? People are acting as if this is something almost normal yet no Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter or any other franchise film managed to do it nevermind having 2 FILMS OVER 2 billion $$ worldwide in the span of 12 months. 2 films with a total worldwide box office gross of around 5 billion $$ in 12 months. Get some perspective.... 

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

So why wasn’t titanic surpassed in the last, i don’t know, 22 years ? People are acting as if this is something almost normal yet no Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter or any other franchise film managed to do it nevermind having 2 FILMS OVER 2 billion $$ worldwide in the span of 12 months. 2 films with a total worldwide box office gross of around 5 billion $$ in 12 months. Get some perspective.... 

It was surpassed by both TFA and IW. James Cameron was desperate and re-released it so that he could maintain the top spots.  

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Ah, I came back from rewatching Endgame (even better second time!) and I see there's the dreaded marvel/titanic/avatar discourse going on once again... As someone who likes all three to varying degrees (and star wars too) I find it so exhausting especially when it's always a same dick measuring contest that never leads to anything. I don't think it's even possible to draw any good comparisons between movies that were released in completely different economical and cultural environments and in different times. And box office or received awards don't tell much about movie's quality. You shouldn't need external validation if you think something is great. Cameron is wildly talented and Titanic's and Avatar's box office runs were extremely impressive but I just like to see records broken. Why are some people taking this all so personally?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, commendable said:

I dont get it, avatar WW and Avatar domestic aee locked right? All that's left is tfa which might be impossible

There is no China anymore for OS bo so It won't be as easy as it looks.