sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I don’t get the 3D gross. It’s dead in Australia. There are virtually no 3D screenings here. 

In the local area across 3 theatre complexes, from 2 theatre chains with a total of 16 screens there is only 1 3D session tomorrow out of 32 Endgame screenings. 

3D share in China is probably 95% that alone would be like what 550m?

And then Germany is 80% 3D too (so another $40m) (only for big movies, overall market share of 3d is 20%)

Than US is probably 200m too (mainly because it was so big) and then one is almost there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

And then Germany is 80% 3D too (so another $40m) (only for big movies, overall market share of 3d is 20%)

Than US is probably 200m too (mainly because it was so big) and then one is almost there.

US would be 125 max IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Without seeing trailer and seeing how forgetful original is.

550+ DOM.

600+ China

30+ India

1300+ Rest

2500+

Even the doubters are going above $2.5b worldwide.

As I've said before Endgames gross shows the strength of the internationally markets right now.

Charlie there was a time on here because you were around where people called me a manic for suggest it could go higher than Avatar.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Incredible TFA keeps the record. 

TFA's domestic run is astounding. Easy to forget as Endgame just opened to 350m OW a week back

Domestic TFA is THE event of the 2010's

Worldwide it is Endgame

What contributed massively to TFA's gross was that it managed to make people go to the theater that didnt do that for years, sometomes decades. It was a multi-generational event, the definition of a must-see-movie for all ages DOM.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

As I've said before Endgames gross shows the strength of the internationally markets right now.

Charlie there was a time on here because you were around where people called me a manic for suggest it could go higher than Avatar.

To be fair you also said Alita is making a billie and joined a club IW over EG... so...

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What contributed massively to TFA's gross was that it managed to make people go to the theater that didnt do that for years, sometomes decades. It was a multi-generational event, the definition of a must-see-movie for all ages DOM.

Definitely. It's audience band was HUGE. It's amazing to think how well it did and how bad TLJ did in comparison. Especially worldwide yikes in comparison.

Edited by cdsacken

8 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Incredible TFA keeps the record. 

TFA's domestic run is astounding. Easy to forget as Endgame just opened to 350m OW a week back

Domestic TFA is THE event of the 2010's

Worldwide it is Endgame

The only true event of the 2010’s is the infinity saga movies with about 5 billion in 12 months . The rest is just to make some folks sleep better at nights.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Basically I am relying on huge China. Get a 7.5 on Maoyan and you never know when 600 in China turn into 250-300.

• Like 1

For AE to get the second weekend record after Disney gave its estimate it was going to have to be underestimated by a larger percentage than AE was on weekend one - that was always extremely unlikely. it was a much smaller number to begin with and you didn't have the rush factor to deal with.

Disney underestimated weekend one by 2.03%. That same percentage underestimate for weekend 2 still would have left AE 455K short of the record. Looks like the underestimate is going to be around 1%.

AE was simply burning so much demand that first 4-5 days it is truly overwhelming to see those numbers. Since then it has been holding a little worse than IW most days since. I sort of expect that pattern for the rest of its run. I'm interested to see if it can leg out to 900M, I think that is the interesting number. I don't believe TFA's DOM is much is play anymore. AE is probably looking at about 50M in weekdays this week. TFA due to the Holidays made over 111M. Probably looking at a 20M or a little less going into next weekend. I'm sort of expecting TFA cumulative dailies to pass AE next Monday or Tuesday. 

They are likely to hit 700M the same day (though I think AE will have a little higher cumulative gross).

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

But you are a manic.

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The only true event of the 2010’s is the infinity saga movies with about 5 billion in 12 months . The rest is just to make some folks sleep better at nights.

THIS. IW+EG is basically one film/one story told over 300 minutes, thus it shatters even GWTW (that was also basically 2 movies usually split in half in TV, or even theaters with intermission)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Basically I am relying on huge China. Get a 7.5 on Maoyan and you never know when 600 in China turn into 250-300.

:hahaha:

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But you are a manic.

The only sane person in a crowd of crazies apears to be a maniac. Fours billies is inevitable.

Now excuse me I'm off for a run.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

A lot of developing markets force 3D, by putting the major blockbusters in majority 3D screens (or a huge portion of the total screens). Hell, my local Cineworld had IMAX exclusively in 3D. 3D IS dead when people actually have a choice. 

Agreed completely. My local IMAX only does 3D. It's upsetting and there are many markets in which they play 2D only on the smallest/worst screens, if at all, because they can charge more for 3D.

So, China-adjacent topic...

I've been trying to watch The Wandering Earth on Netflix for...the last 3 days now. Fell asleep twice. I'm like halfway through. Does it get better in its second half?

I mean, I get it that it's the first big budget, big scale sci-fi China has made, but...Jeez. So far it's cliche after cliche and downright rip-offs, with paper-thin characters and questionable acting (maybe the subtleties would be better picked up if I actually spoke Chinese). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

3D 87%

IMAX 3D 13%

2D 0%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

21 hours ago, Chaz said:

8 Star Wars films have won the year domestically: 

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

3 MCU films have won the year domestically: 

Avengers

Black Panther

Endgame

Odd, considering the MCU has made so much more money.

The MCU hasn't made more money on a per-film basis. The MCU average (DOM) is $360m, the Star Wars average is $420m DOM. 

And, that's not adjusting for inflation, which would work greatly to the advantage of Star Wars. E.g., The Empire Strikes Back is listed at $209m, but adjusted for inflation that becomes $884m indicating its huge popularity at the time. Even more recent films, like 1999's Phantom Menace, which sits at $431m, adjusts to a whopping $813m.

Overall, adjusted for inflation, the SW franchise has the #2, #11, #13, #16, and #18 films of all time. The MCU doesn't check in on this list until #29 (Avengers), though within a week or so Endgame will surpass that.

So looked at that way, it's not surprising that SW has more year-end #1 DOM winners than the MCU.

• Like 1