sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

6 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

May has been a fantastic month for movies box office 

I personally thought detective Pikachu was gonna do aladdin numbers and Aladdin was doing numbers detective Pikachu numbers 

but happy aladdin turned out much better than expected to make for detective Pikachu lack of a break out

john wick 3 did fantastic 

book smart and long shot should have done much better.

comedies might be dead 

I think people are getting their comedy from their blockbusters these days (i.e. EG, DP, and Aladdin all have more than enough humor). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Oh, and IW DID NOT added 56M after 5th weekend OS-China, only 44M. Box Office Mojo shows 359M for its China total because it used a flawed method with ER at the end of the run. IW China total was 375.5M, meaning 994M OS-China total (951M by 5th).

Similar ratio gives EG +50M for 1.301B total. However, competition is much fiercer this year so i'm expecting 2.1-2.5x instead of 3x 5th weekend like IW. That means 35-41M more for 1.286-1.292B. Higher-end will be enough to push it over the mark.

Imho, I think after next weekend you will see that the effect that you are expecting to hit Endgame’s OS-C legs was exaggerated. Without a World Cup, movie theaters also become more of a option for entertainment. Things will balance themselves out, it’s not that much of a tall order for Endgame to get around more $50m OS-C.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think people are getting their comedy from their blockbusters these days (i.e. EG, DP, and Aladdin all have more than enough humor). 

Yeah that’s true. I think original comedies are better just letting Netflix stream from not and just give it limited theatricals releases 

big budget movies can do a lot with cgi and comedy elements

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Imho, I think after next weekend you will see that the effect that you are expecting to hit Endgame’s OS-C legs was exaggerated. Without a World Cup, movie theaters also become more of a option for entertainment. Things will balance themselves out, it’s not that much of a tall order for Endgame to get around more $50m OS-C.

Next weekend will seal the deal for Avatar discussion as it's the last/biggest challenge for EG. Dark Phoenix is a Disney release now, won't have an effect. Pets 2 will drop significantly from the first. Then it's a free runway till Toy Story 4 gives it a boost, then FFH and The Lion King. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Next weekend will seal the deal for Avatar discussion as it's the last/biggest challenge for EG. Dark Phoenix is a Disney release now, won't have an effect. Pets 2 will drop significantly from the first. Then it's a free runway till Toy Story 4 gives it a boost, then FFH and The Lion King. 

What do you mean by Dark Phoenix is a Disney release now and so it won't have an effect? It's another superhero movie, of course it will have an effect. It might not hit Endgame the same way Deadpool 2 hit IW last year, but it will be felt, that's a certainty.

3 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

What do you mean by Dark Phoenix is a Disney release now and so it won't have an effect? It's another superhero movie, of course it will have an effect. It might not hit Endgame the same way Deadpool 2 hit IW last year, but it will be felt, that's a certainty.

It's going to open up to less than DP2 so not much of a B.O. effect there. 

A B.O. effect it might have is Disney pairing AEG up with double features if X-6 even warrants them.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Did you see Girls Trip or Crazy Rich Asians?

I haven’t seen girls trip. I did see CRA in cinemas though but I already had the “it’s not a comedy” discussion on here and I won’t do it again!

5 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Nah. DP is an obvious bomb. Deadpool 2 was a smash hit. People keep treating Endgame as the little film that could here, without realizing that it’s literally going to be under $100m of the highest grossing film of all time before this weekend. It’s not Endgame that it needs to be afraid of the effect that the new releases will have, it’s the other way around. Endgame isn’t facing this competition next to its release date, but more than one month afterwards it’s release. It’s not disappearing from theaters, it will be completely fine next to the new releases.

This affects Pika, JW3, Aladdin and the newer releases more than will affect Endgame. It already come out on top OS-C against Aladdin and that’s a bigger challenge than Solo was. It will keep going. Like @nguyenkhoi282 said, next weekend it pretty much cements if Endgame will need a re-release to top Avatar or not. If it’s still performing around Infinity War, Avatar is done. 

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

58% is still the majority liking it.  It's mixed not bad.

51% is the majority liking it. It’s also a bad critic RT score. Bad!= disliked by majority.    

Can’t argue with the fact that some other movies have even worse top critic scores, but that doesn’t really say much. You could find 4 movies with worse top critic scores than Venom too.

Edited by Thanos Legion

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i can't remember the last just straight up comedy i saw in cinemas. it might have been popstar actually.

Skipped Game Night?

I will try to dig into this later but does anyone know of a wide release film (not art house or limited release) that received a 90% or better critical score on RT but had an audience score of 20+ points below that? It is far more common for critics to hate a wide release film while audiences love it (see Aladdin); but the inverse of that is rare. Black Panther has a difference of 18 points so it is close. Is there any wide release that rivals Booksmart’s 23 point gap and was loved by critics?

ETA: The Favourite has a 26 point difference (93 vs. 67) and it topped out at 1,500+ screens. It’s also a female driven comedy.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Disbelief 1