sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just read Olivia Wilde's tweet... Well, if she wants to promove her movie, more power to her. 

However, I don't like when people tell me what should I watch or not. I hope Olivia understands that people will watch whatever they want and not because someone is asking them to do or not.

lol, i was just curious.  As a movie person with 3 movies coming out per weekend, how many out of the 300 movies do you find yourself engaged with?

don't movie celibates have sometimes more knowledge then moviebuffs about how the movies will turn out?

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just read Olivia Wilde's tweet... Well, if she wants to promove her movie, more power to her. 

However, I don't like when people tell me what should I watch or not. I hope Olivia understands that people will watch whatever they want and not because someone is asking them to do or not. 

I think she's wasting her time. That's it. I have no interest to see her movie, but there are many people interested about it ( I presume ). So, if people want to see her movie, they will see it. No need to worry about it, Olivia. Thanks.

We’ve already beaten the various meanings of her tweet to the ground in this thread, but this is a new one.

You say you’re fine with her promoting her movie, then you say you don’t like being told what to watch. But isn’t that what all movie promotions are? Studio marketing departments trying to tell you what to watch, constantly bringing their movie to your attention. How else to you know about a movie or decide to watch it if you don’t get told? The Aladdin and Godzilla tweets being promoted are essentially doing the same her tweet is doing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DAJK said:

So 31 + 28 + ...24? Not sure what to expect from Sunday

83 weekend, 100 or so 4-day? Am I doing that right? That should lead to a DOM total around 220 or so

31 +29 + 27.5 + 23.5 = 111M

That sounds about right... if it happens it could pass $ 250M since WOM is apparently great

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So 31 + 28 + ...24? Not sure what to expect from Sunday

83 weekend, 100 or so 4-day? Am I doing that right? That should lead to a DOM total around 220 or so

Solo Sat-Sun was flat last year (24.6 -->24.4).

POTC5 had a drop of 1.3m (20.3 --> 19) in '17.

Apoc had  drop of 1.5m (20.4 --> 18.9) in '16.

Given the WOM I would say between flat or no more than a 1m drop.

Edited by Porthos

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, they had more impressive footage in the short BTS YT feature than they had in the trailers.

There is zero excuses for this not to have been EVERYWHERE.  I went from Meh to Yas in 2.5 seconds.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

There’s no way it should be missing $300M DOM/$1B WW.

With 300-350M DOM plus 650-700 foreign = 1B-1.15B.. I expect good numbers from Brazil, Mexico, Uk, Japan, France, China, South Korea, Mideast combined and moderate numbers from Germany, South Africa, and Australia. 40M- 50M for the good numbers and 30-35M for the moderate.  500M in total from these good to moderate areas and 100-200 from the remaining places not mentioned here

14 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

We’ve already beaten the various meanings of her tweet to the ground in this thread, but this is a new one.

You say you’re fine with her promoting her movie, then you say you don’t like being told what to watch. But isn’t that what all movie promotions are? Studio marketing departments trying to tell you what to watch, constantly bringing their movie to your attention. How else to you know about a movie or decide to watch it if you don’t get told? The Aladdin and Godzilla tweets being promoted are essentially doing the same her tweet is doing. 

It's hard to describe. Perhaps it's the tone. I'm serious, by the way.

That being said, my point is that most of people will watch the movie with or without her tweet. It's nothing personal. :)

Oh, and I don't need people telling me what should I watch or not. I mean, I watch trailers to decide if the movie looks worth or not. I'm not saying she can't tell people what they should watch or not. It's just my personal taste, the trailer usually sells me or not. Fortunately people are different, so that's 100% ok in my book. She's talking to many deaf ears.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Solo Sat-Sun was flat last year (24.6 -->24.4).

POTC5 had a drop of 1.3m (20.3 --> 19) in '17.

Apoc had  drop of 1.5m (20.4 --> 18.9) in '16.

Given the WOM I would say between flat or no more than a 1m drop.

Don't want to go back further due to changing landscapes of movie goers, but for what it's worth

2015:  Tomorrowland was flat-ish (11.849 --> 11.457).

2014:  DOFP had a real drop at 3.3m (29.3m --> 26.0m).

Looking at 2013 and further back, there were drops from Sat to Sun as FF6 dropped 4.7m and Hangover 3 dropped 2.1m.  But in 2012 MIB3 dropped 1.4m.

So recently pretty small drops.  But further back, some larger ones.  Couldn't tell ya if it is just randomness or start of a new trend, say to increased previews shifting box office from Fri/Sat to Thr/Fri.

@DAJK

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I hope people will get this worked up whenever The Rock tells people to see his next movie while it's out in theaters

To be honest, I'm quite tired of The Rock. I like the guy, but I'm not feeling Hobbs and Shaw.  I'm still watching it, regardless. So, not a big deal.

PS: I hope he doesn't keep telling people to watch his movie. I think he can do better than that. XD

58 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Getting triggered that someone is telling you what to watch by saying "If you were planning to watch it in theater do it soon because we will bleed theater and you will not be able too", is quite pushing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Geo1500...and there  you have it.....Aladdin 29M.....nowhere near the numbers you were saying....and really close to the 30 mill I said.  

Just saying.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Do you mean on Memorial Day or in general?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=journey2.htm

Not that Aladdin will be seeing any sort of increase like that ofc.

I mean on the opening Saturday for Memorial Day.  Obviously there are plenty of movies that have increased by 80% on Sat....but not on their opening Saturday for this particular weekend..   

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

So TLK making the same as TJB makes sense, right? Right??

Mary Poppins making 102 million makes sense...right right?

Dumbo making 111 mill makes sense, right right?

There are a litany of films that get over predicted at this site.  Not sure what exactly it is that TLK did in the past to make people think it's going to blow up this time.   And why do you think it will make more than TJB?

• Like 1