sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think DOM you're right, yeah. But I was thinking WW - I think the difference between it and Frozen domestically will be big enough to make up for any advantage Frozen 2 might have overseas (though I think even there TLK might come out on top - I think Frozen 2 will be far more dependent on legs and those will be, in turn, dependent on having a song capture the attention of the public in the same way that Let It Go did; I believe TLK has more going for it).

Now watch me be completely wrong and TLK not even making top 5... :rofl:

You cowered all your ground.... /golfclap

TTVOMJ

Hahaha, why people underestimate the new spider man film , when it comes to worldwide, I have no idea (instead we are reading about the battle of frozen 2 vs lion king). Nevermind they will learn their lesson soon just like they did with endgame. Hell the new Star Wars has an excellent chance of surpassing these two children films worldwide.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Hahaha, why people underestimate the new spider man film , when it comes to worldwide, I have no idea (instead we are reading about the battle of frozen 2 vs lion king). Nevermind they will learn their lesson soon just like they did with endgame. Hell the new Star Wars has an excellent chance of surpassing these two children films worldwide.

.... what.... ? 

Too much codein today? Oops.. coffein..

TTVOMJ

13 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The two children films have a chance to do more OS alone than Episode IX WW. And Spider-Man should worry more about beating Captain Marvel than even sniffing Frozen or The Lion King. I think it completely befuddles you just how gigantic those two properties are to even hint at the idea that Far From Home is going to beat them, if no Spider-Man film has ever done the business that even The Lion King has done (granted, TLK had re-releases added to its run, but even its 780M original run from fucking 1994 is bigger than quite a few of the Spider-Man films). But whatever.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Saturday Actuals

Aladdin $29.7 / $61mn cume

JW 3 $8.8mn

Endgame $6.35mn

PDP $5.3mn

BB $2.4mn

Infinity War's Saturday for comparison.

$6,473,278

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

The thing I don't understand is that women are not coming out to support this type of flick. 

Isn't it exactly what they've been asking for for so long now? Female director, female stars, female centered stories...  I understand why Olivia is slightly disappointed in turn out. 

have they really? Woke twitter asks for it but is woke twitter real representation of what GA women want? Ladies on my plane watched Aquaman, not Ocean's 8 or other female driven movie, just for the record. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but it's a big plane with plenty of passengers and #1 choice with women by a large margin was Aquaman.

Moreover, normies of any gender don't care who directs a movie unless it's one of few Star Directors who are draws on their own (Nolan, Cameron, QT, Spielberg, etc). So very doubtful that any normie lady checked who directed Booksmart as a reason to see the movie.  

Finally, concept is everything. Just because the movie has women in it, is about women, etc it doesn't mean it looks more appealing to women than a movie with different concept. My teenage sisters totally wanted to see Aladdin, and have no interest in Booksmart, for example. They find Jasmine more appealing cause she is pretty, wears terrific clothes, sings and has 2 guys fight over her. they don't find Booksmart girls appealing either as wishful thinking (which Jasmine is) or someone they relate to. 

Sorry Olivia but just making it all about women doesn't necessarily make it more appealing to all women when there's more appealing alternative such as Aladdin, EG, etc. 

• Like 7

Btw, booksmart is about female TEENS. So how do GROWN women not seeing it really mean anything? It's like saying that grown men should come out and support movies about teenage boys.

Incredible Saturday numbers for Aladdin! Hoping it can make close to $30 million Sunday to edge near $90 million 3-day. $110-$115 million 4-day almost locked. Nearly there!!!

52 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Yeah appealing to children is why both TLK and Frozen 2 are gonna be massive. 

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I just doubt that Frozen 2 and The Lion King are going to make $1.5B outside the USA and Canada.

I doubt The Rise Of Skywalker makes 1.5B period. Best case scenario I see is about 1.35B. More likely about 1.2B. That's not an impossible number for TLK or Frozen II OS to beat.

Edited by MCKillswitch123