sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

were people really expecting Booksmart to do better just because reviews, maybe should have sold film like Blockers which was directed by a woman also, or just should have casted Cena in it.

Lady Bird is also A24's highest grossing film ever (directed by Greta Gerwig, starring Saiorse Ronan). So there wasn't an issue then but there's an issue now? Maybe it's just *gasp* basic circumstances!!

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Let's not focus on the Wilde tweet, that's just going to get heated and there's so much more to talk about.  I don't think her tweet was in bad taste at all.  She simply said that a story about women directed by women doesn't necessarily get a lot of traction and she asked that people support her film.  Pretty innocuous on her part.

No worries, baumer, I've said my piece. 👍 :)

*goes back to patiently waiting for numbers from our Asgardian Gods*

Edited by Porthos
peice peace piece. ONE of these days, I'll learn how to spell :D
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

No worries, baumer, I've said my peace. 👍 :)

*goes back to patiently waiting for numbers from our Asgardian Gods*

That wasn't directed at you, but all of us.....I'm the only mod on right now and I don't want this to go down a path that requires time outs and warnings and so on.  :)  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Lady Bird is also A24's highest grossing film ever (directed by Greta Gerwig, starring Saiorse Ronan). So there wasn't an issue then but there's an issue now? Maybe it's just *gasp* basic circumstances!!

LB did not go wide for a few weeks and got some awards nods, a little different situation

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

LB did not go wide for a few weeks and got some awards nods, a little different situation

yeah maybe this needed to start limited and build buzz. annapurna needs to learn how to book smart.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:14 PM, JB33 said:

Yep, the left is always right. No compromise. That's your guys' shtick. Fuck off.

I mean I’m not the one who’s put a lot of time into reading too much into someone’s tweet just asking people to go out and support their film and then proceeding to make it into something political via paragraph long rants.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I mean I’m not the one who’s put a lot of time into reading too much into someone’s tweet just asking people to go out and support we film and proceeding to make it into something political via paragraph long rants.

Also if you think me believing your comments are dumb as fuck makes me a leftist, then I’m about as left as left can be.

Edited by Rorschach

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I come into this thread and see this discussion on Booksmart which I enjoyed...

Zki6LEk.gif

Tbf it’s mostly one person getting real mad at a tweet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You all read too much into Olivia's tweet...I figured she was pushing everyone to go this weekend b/c her film did not get "the fully protected 2 week contract", so if it underperforms this weekend, it will go the way The Sun Is Also a Star/Tolkien/Poms did (which, while not dropped entirely, got showings slashed in half or more in weekend 2 before huge drops in weekend 3 for the latter 2)...I mean, the next sets will be done pretty much by the end of the weekend/Tuesday morning, so it's show now or show never...

As everyone points out, it's gonna be very tight again in theaters next weekend with 3 large new releases...so slashing the also-rans is obviously gonna be high on most mid-to-small size theater lists for the weekend...and once you're slashed, you're pretty much gone the next week...

And if it does open to about 8 million for the 4 day and gets good WOM, it has a chance to make 25 million.  Not saying that is a lot of coin but it's certainly on par with what Lady Bird was doing before it became an Oscar contender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the liberal agenda wants to turn all our children into geniesexuals.

the liberal agenda needs to put parents into detention camps and give them a correct liberal agenda to use against their kids

otherwise they will be stuck under a Christmas tree listening to country music

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

Yeah I'm done. I know how this always ends. All I know is I'm still excited to see Booksmart! Unfortunately I have to go to another end of town to see it (the modest theatre count is also an issue). I'll also just try to ignore Wilde's tweet, rather than boycott a perfectly good film (something the left does all the time when they don't agree with something: BOYCOTT!!!).

• Like 2

@JB33 Where did this left vs right shit come from over Wilde asking for people to go see the movie? I think you're reading way too much in that tweet. Not everything in the world involves politics, she is simply asking people to go see her film. She's allowed to promote her own flick. 

• Like 10