sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

The WW box office chart for Hollywood movies this year so far looks so disproportionate. You have EG at 2.7B, Capt. Marvel at 1.1B, then the next highest grossing movie is weirdly... HTTYD3 all the way down clocking in at just a bit over 500M. No middle ground movies at all. 

CM might end up as #7 worldwide this year, behind EG, TLK, TROS, Frozen 2, TS4, and FFH. I predict Hobbs & Shaw, Aladdin, and It 2 (or Joker) for the Top 10.

Edited by UserHN

5 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

20+ is on board for OD. On Godzilla 

No the best opening, but no the flop some were predicting. 

Like some erudite here who say 40 something. 

Get. it

It is flopping.

It’s a $ 170-200M pic making $ 400M WW (coming from 2 movies which made +500M). 

I don’t think the franchise is dead, maybe next year the movie will be a huge success. But KoTM is doing bad pretty much everywhere, it’s sad, i personally have high hopes for this movie (specially quality wise), but deny is never the right option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I legit think it can open in the low 40s.  Been toying with a preview number of around 3m to 4m.

I don't have much/any hard data on hand locally outside of one glance a few days ago to back that up, but... Well here's hoping for its fans that it gets good/decent reviews.

Would be a really sad way for this franchise to end.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Only 10m to 13m off your original estimate, Deadline.  Way to go. 👍

(Declines to mention that meant Deadline was off by 15 to 20 percent)

Why did this happen? Sometimes analysts see a rosy midday picture with presales, then as the evening comes, ticket sales slowdown. It happens. Sometimes, it picks up, and sometimes it does not. Before today, Fandango saw King of the Monsters advance ticket sales ahead of Kong: Skull Island. Many were bullish. On the upside, exits are great with solid PostTraks from last night in 4 1/2 stars from general audiences and 5 stars from families. King of the Monsters also gets a B+ CinemaScore which is the same grade as Legendary’s 2014 Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. Again, bad reviews could be the thorn in Godzilla’s side here, slowing the big lug down as he’s the worst received out of the Legendary trio at 40% Rotten versus the previous two pic’s 75% fresh.

6 Avengers: Endgame Dis 3,105 (-705) $2M (-52%) $7.3M (-58%) $815M 6

So Endgame is going to drop over 50% as I said many times. I was right.

giphy.gif

No lets see if I was right with under $8M OS weekend. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It is flopping.

It’s a $ 170-200M pic making $ 400M WW (coming from 2 movies which made +500M). 

I don’t think the franchise is dead, maybe next year the movie will be a huge success. But KoTM is doing bad pretty much everywhere, it’s sad, i personally have high hopes for this movie (specially quality wise), but deny is never the right option.

Is not flopping!

Dont make a lot, but for sure is ok.

Going to pass $400M and even near 500M

8 minutes ago, UserHN said:

CM might end up as #7 worldwide this year, behind EG, TLK, TROS, Frozen 2, TS4, and FFH. I predict Hobbs & Shaw, Aladdin, and It 2 (or Joker) for the Top 10.

Very reasonable. I would not count out Jumanji sequel for Top 10 either, it’ll drop domestically for sure, but the release day will help again imo, especially with Star Wars not that big a force OS, it can play well throughout the holiday frame again.

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Oh you, they’re obviously going to team up against Ghidoomsdorah after discovering they like the same kind of sandwich.

I actually googled "Ghidoomsdorah", and the almighty Google can find only one reference. Where did it bring me? Back to your post.

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm gonna go with 90 mil DOM, 100 mil China, and 150 mil OS. That means 340 mil WW for Dark Pheonix. Could be the lowest grossing superhero movie of the year (lower than even Shazam).

OS shall be bigger than Shazam. With quite a margin.

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

OS shall be bigger than Shazam. With quite a margin.

It’s tracking terribly, and a lot of China OW predictions ended up being way too high, so I can’t see it doing better by “quite a margin”

18 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I don't care, i want more Godzilla movies, and while Toho can make more but production of Hollywood is something different to watch.

I just hope GvK works really well so that they continue Monsterverse further.

Speaking of TOHO they've now officially joined the Pokemon brand as was announced at the Pokemon Press Conference this past Tuesday. 

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/05/28/hiro-matsuoka-toho-joins-pokemon-board-of-directors/

9 minutes ago, Sam said:

Very reasonable. I would not count out Jumanji sequel for Top 10 either, it’ll drop domestically for sure, but the release day will help again imo, especially with Star Wars not that big a force OS, it can play well throughout the holiday frame again.

Not that big a force overseas...?! The Force Awakens made more than $1 billion overseas! If you want to say, "a bigger domestic draw than international, compared to other franchises," ok, but words matter, Star Wars is HUGE everywhere. It's just not as huge as some other properties in random non-English speaking countries. 

23 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Would be a really sad way for this franchise to end.

Luckily the X-men will soon be reborn, rejuvenated and with even greater glory, much like a certain mythical firebird.

• Haha 1