sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

he's shit-talked the Oscars before

Is that ever mattered ? (he did got nominated the year he shit talked)

George C. Scott went quite out of is way to do it and got nominated the year right after Patton, same for Brando in 74 right after the Godfather, Woody Allen, etc....

Saying he do not like the concept of pitting people against each other for something subjective, isn't going all George C.Scott either.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Godzilla:King Of Monsters debut shouldn’t be a shock. The 2014 film was sold primarily as Bryan Cranston and Godzilla, and that was after Cranston was done with Breaking Bad. This was sold entirely on Godzilla himself, and may play a little better than the last one. But hopefully this isn’t a down right failure. I’m thinking $140 million domestic total for its high at the moment.

Aladdin still hanging on second place. Whereas the Disney duds previously released on Memorial Day, no one remembered after second weekend. A total around 2010’s Alice In Wonderland wouldn’t be a shocker. 

Rocketman’s estimated $25 million debut isn’t as big as the debut of last year’s Bohmeian Rhapsody, but it’s a solid debut nonetheless considering it’s $40 million budget and solid word of mouth. Also this is having some more controversy than even Rhapsody had. Overall this will play like a summer sleeper and make $80 million domestic but to quote a man “read my lips $100 million isn’t off the table.” 

Speaking of potential sleepers, Ma debuted decent with an estimated $18.2 million. The debut is ahead of summer thrillers like The Shallows(ah Blake Lively 😍) . However it’s on-par with Blumhouse’s Truth Or Dare, and it’s a downcry from The Purge franchise, however considering Blumhouse spends little to nothing on their films this will be a big profit already in the books. While Ma is having alright to so-so word of mouth anything close between $40-$50 million wouldn’t be a shock. 

For the rest of the other releases: John Wick still doing ok as it’s poised to be Keanu’s 2nd highest grossing film domestic, Avengers: Endgame still hanging on, Pikachu and the rest are alright.

overall the top 12 was at $168.9 million which is a landslide improvement of around 68% from last year when studios were dumping on the first weekend of June and Star Wars flop Solo was leading in its second weekend. 

Overall May 2019 was up from last year not the record but the 2nd highest grossing May behind 2013. 2019 is overall ahead of 2014,2015, and 2016. It is still a downfall from 2018, and is coming close to 2017 at this point. 

I apologize for my taking in box office being short. Just been busy with a baby and stuff. And heading back around places a lot. 

• Like 3

lol Deadline is brutal. Probably angry at their own 24 od early update.

Even though Legendary/Warner Bros. Godzilla: King of the Monsters led all movies at the domestic box office, it’s with lackluster results, as the lizard has fallen below his stateside projections with $49M, per the studio – and some rivals even see the pic’s three-day lower at $47M. And per our finance sources, Godzilla‘s overseas numbers of $130M are just as ugly as him.

Heck, the lizard was even whipped by a Blue Genie, with Aladdin leading all titles yesterday with $17.3M.

I think Taron has a great chance of a nomination. 

36 minutes ago, TMP said:

Unless potential contenders like Jonathon Pryce, Leo & Pitt, De Niro, Banderas, Driver, Damon and/or Bale all fail in their awards campaign, Taron doesn't look likely to happen at all. I'd say Joaquin too, but he's shit-talked the Oscars before and playing a role that already won an Oscar is gonna hurt his chances.

sorry if this is a dumb question - but why is for example Adam Driver or Antonio Banderas, automatically the obvious choice for best actor nomination? the Banderas film is foreign language so will probably be overlooked. as for The Report i mean its way too far out to get a sense of award chances. it's not like it has some prestige writer/director behind it.

Matt Damon would be campaigning for supporting actor with Bale lead actor. Same for Leo/Pitt.

Jonathan Pryce in a netflix film, you think that will set the Academy on fire?

Taron is good chances despite the release date. imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

For the rest of the other releases: John Wick still doing ok as it’s poised to be Keanu’s 2nd highest grossing film domestic,

You think it can make $46 million more to overtake The Matrix? That's a lot of money coming after an $11.1 million weekend. And there are a lot of movies coming in the next couple of weeks, so it will be hard to hold onto its screens.

$150 million I'd say is guaranteed, $160 million would be very likely but $171 million is a lot for where John Wick 3 is currently at. I personally think The Matrix is safe in 2nd place

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ruthie said:

I don't understand why the respective studios decided to release Rocketman, Booksmart, and even MA during the summer.  Those movies seem more appropriate for October - March than competing with tentpoles and blockbusters.  I get the whole counterprogramming realm, but the current release dates really make no sense to me in the grand scheme of things. 

Whole year is packed and the pool is finite while the film count rises

TTVOMJ

10 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Godzilla:King Of Monsters debut shouldn’t be a shock. The 2014 film was sold primarily as Bryan Cranston and Godzilla, and that was after Cranston was done with Breaking Bad. This was sold entirely on Godzilla himself, and may play a little better than the last one. But hopefully this isn’t a down right failure. I’m thinking $140 million domestic total for its high at the moment.

Aladdin still hanging on second place. Whereas the Disney duds previously released on Memorial Day, no one remembered after second weekend. A total around 2010’s Alice In Wonderland wouldn’t be a shocker. 

I don't see any path for Aladdin to reach Alice's totals. I would love it, but I don't see a remote chance in this happening unless it drops, like, 30% here on out each week.

3 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

You think it can make $46 million more to overtake The Matrix? That's a lot of money coming after an $11.1 million weekend. And there are a lot of movies coming in the next couple of weeks, so it will be hard to hold onto its screens.

$150 million I'd say is guaranteed, $160 million would be very likely but $171 million is a lot for where John Wick 3 is currently at. I personally think The Matrix is safe in 2nd place

Ah shit 🙄. I was thinking of The Matrix: Revolutions more than the first Matrix movie. Well then it will be(before Hobbs & Shaw and Toy Story 4) be his top 3 hits.

For Lionsgate it will be one of their biggest hits(without Hunger Games or Divergent included). 

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I don't see any path for Aladdin to reach Alice's totals. I would love it, but I don't see a remote chance in this happening unless it drops, like, 30% here on out each week.

It can happen but it will probably sneak past $300 million once you add it drive-ins with Toy Story 4 and Lion King. Also, potential Labor Day expansión as well. 

I think more likely $300-$305 million domestic. Alice 1 will only be if it has some magic late legs. I’m optimistic and slightly too positive on certain things. 

16 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

$140m? It'll be lucky to get $120m.