sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

Are we talking bout Spy movies cause i like that one spy movie with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz since it is like if Ethan Hunt was as nutty as Tom Cruise is in real life.

An overlooked Tom Cruise movie if i ever saw one.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, YLF said:

Is that a good hold for Aladdin?

Depends - what was your expectation?

If you were uber-optimistic and thought crazily that $60M 2nd weekend was possible, then you're probably not thinking it is...

If you were in the more reasonable camp, expecting a good hold to be between 50-55% drop...then yeah, it's a good hold:)...

I'll be curious to see if Godzilla vs Kong stays in March 2020, perhaps a longer cooling off period would be wise. December 2020 might not be a bad idea as it's unlikely to get a summer slot. 

I am surprised WB hasn't fast tracked a Meg sequel given how successful that film was and was actually well liked. 

Just now, danhtruong5 said:

I only know this site which shows the tickets sold. 

Can we know the money number based on it?

http://akvalley.pythonanywhere.com/static/fandango_report.txt

No way to figure out. It depends on format and region. It varies dramatically by region. Ticket in NYC is way different from say Texas. Plus PLF tickets are way more expensive than normal format.

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'll be curious to see if Godzilla vs Kong stays in March 2020, perhaps a longer cooling off period would be wise. December 2020 might not be a bad idea as it's unlikely to get a summer slot. 

I am surprised WB hasn't fast tracked a Meg sequel given how successful that film was and was actually well liked. 

I agree it would be wise to leave that slot all together and move to december. Mulan will premier 2 weeks later and it will limit Zilla vs Kong alot both DOM, OS, J and C. Pixar's Onward will come out a week before Zilla vs Kong but I think GvsK can survive Onward some what but still will be competition while Mulan and G.I.JOE will also release the same day. I think Mulan and G.I.Joe will be stronger competition

Edited by Geo1500

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

If they don't want to repeat this year's performance, WB better remove GvK out of March 2020. Maybe move it to that previous Avatar 2 December slot?

March 6- Onward (Disney/Pixar)

March 13- Godzilla v Kong (WB/Legendary), The Invisible Man (Universal/Blumhouse)

March 20- A Quiet Place 2 (Paramount)

March 27-  Mulan (Disney), G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes (Paramount)

They shouldn't underestimate Onward, A Quiet Place 2, and Mulan.

42 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I agree it would be wise to leave that slot all together and move to december. Mulan will premier 2 weeks later and it will limit Zilla vs Kong alot both DOM, OS, J and C. Pixar's Onward will come out a week before Zilla vs Kong but I think GvsK can survive Onward some what but still will be competition while Mulan and G.I.JOE will also release the same day. I think Mulan and G.I.Joe will be stronger competition

I think Mulan has the potential to explode at the box office. If it's a faithful adaptation (not necessarily in plot, but in tone, strong characters, cultural authenticity, and scale of war).

Also, given the almost entirely Chinese cast, does anyone else think Disney might have filmed Mulan in both languages? I'd have to think that a trailer will debut with Lion King.

29 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

This Sunday is holiday in America or Canada? 

The tickets sold updated by Fagando has not dropped so much...

Fandango sales for these movies are tiny part of overall gross. For Endgame for example its less than $50K as there are no Imax/PLF. So dont get too excited extrapolating from these sales. There are more useful for openers and presales to gauge interest. We could see Zilla being frontloaded very early(PS was very thursday heavy) as opposed to Aladdin last week which was backloaded.

for today most of the holdovers have seen tiny drop from yesterday. May be it goes up a bit from estimates, but there is no holiday or Mother's day/Father's day to boost BO today. of course some school districts are off and in the peak summer sunday drops are softer than during school times.

4 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The question is whether DCEU can keep up the momentum, based off Shazam they can't

That's cause the GA doesn't see the DCEU as one big franchise but a set of different franchises that happen to be based off DC characters. This will remain the same until they do proper crossovers which they have no plans to do in the foreseeable future. Not like the MCU where each franchise links to the larger Avengers brand.

• Like 1