sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

27 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

For the love of God can we do something about the DP acronyms. I'm getting hella confused over the pages cause I think DP means  Detective Pikachu when it means Dark Phoenix.

Can we do DPika for Detective Pikachu and DPX for Dark Phoenix.

DP is reserved for Deadpool

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

For the love of God can we do something about the DP acronyms. I'm getting hella confused over the pages cause I think DP means  Detective Pikachu when it means Dark Phoenix.

Can we do DPika for Detective Pikachu and DPX for Dark Phoenix.

already taken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepika_Padukone :)

PDP or PIKA makes sense too

"Alanis is clearly doing his part to support Avengers: Endgame at the box office. Avengers: Endgame's worldwide total is now $2.730 billion, putting the film within $60 million of catching Avatar's $2.788 to become the highest-grossing film of all time."

👏

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

42 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous.  American Sniper made 350M a few years ago, and is one of the highest grossing R rated movies of all time.  It’s a drama targeted specifically for adults.  It’s been proven time and time again that an appealing movie for adults is going to perform well.  Just look at Rocketman right now, which is holding well and looks to finish with around 90M.  Last year we had A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book and The Mule all become hits.  2017 saw Dunkirk, The Post and Murder on the Orient Express.  I can keep going on and on from previous years.  

These movies prove that there is an audience out there for adult-targeted films if they’re appealing and are marketed well, and if anything, Hollywood should be doing more to capitalize on it.  They used to make a lot more adult films that did well too, but those days seem to be long gone in favor of an over-saturation of tentpoles from practically every studio.

OK sure point out one outlier, but the rest are peanuts compared to superhero movies.

42 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The difference between MK and Pokemon is that Pokemon has never been taken out of the spotlight. It's been a worldwide sensation since it's release and is still kicking very much till this day.

Also I'm beyond tired of people trashing Pika. To me if a movie makes 400 million and it's making more then that with over 140 million domestic, I don't consider that a flop. I consider that a good performance. Did it underperform to everybody's expectations yes, but it showed to have pretty solid legs throughout it's run and there's a chance it may end up being the highest grossing video game film of all time. 

And it's sequel will only perform better because it won't have to compete with the second highest grossing film of all time and we're not gonna see a movie stand up to Endgame for probably I'd wager at least a decade or till Pokemon Red/Blue comes out. ;)

Plus Pokemon caters to all demographics, Mortal Kombat caters to mostly one demographic, males, teen/adult. 

If the superhero genre found audience with Male - Teen/adults and kids/family so can Mortal Kombat which means sacrificing alot of the blood and go PG13. 

MK is Superhero genre on steriods the excitement level can reach orgasmic levels as far as action goes

Edited by Geo1500

9 minutes ago, Royce said:

"Alanis is clearly doing his part to support Avengers: Endgame at the box office. Avengers: Endgame's worldwide total is now $2.730 billion, putting the film within $60 million of catching Avatar's $2.788 to become the highest-grossing film of all time."

👏

That's 309 hours / 12.9 days / almost 2 whole weeks of his life spent in a movie theater for Endgame.

56 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

they dont talk about these logical things ... Shazam cost around $100 m ... way less then DP ... Also shazam BO run was fine ..

Shazam's Dom run didn't show its WOM. Also China really hate it and that hurt its ww

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

That's 309 hours / 12.9 days / almost 2 whole weeks of his life spent in a movie theater for Endgame.

I loved Endgame, but omg. That’s...a lot. There’s only so many times one can watch that ending in a short time span before they become numb to it. 

46 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

These movies prove that there is an audience out there for adult-targeted films if they’re appealing and are marketed well, and if anything, Hollywood should be doing more to capitalize on it.  They used to make a lot more adult films that did well too, but those days seem to be long gone in favor of an over-saturation of tentpoles from practically every studio.

I never said there wasn't an audience for adult-targeted films. I just said it was smaller. Stats seem to show most adults prefer to go to the teen-oriented films.... that doesn't mean adult-oriented films can't also break out. but a large % of grownups going to movies are mostly going to see stuff aimed more at kids and teens. 

The original question was about Disney and how they're ignoring adult audiences, and I pointed out that historically they've never really done that, and right now I wouldn't say there doing that either.... but it also makes sense if you're trying to hit the biggest home runs you can, that you wouldn't focus as much on making 20 mid-budget grownup movies a year as opposed to 10 huge budget Star Wars and Marvel and Pixar movies

How many people here are grown adults, and how many of us are dedicating a huge % of our free time to talk about superheroes and pokemon....  There's your answer. I don't think there's anything wrong with that because theres still a ton of stuff for people who arent interested in superheroes and pokemon and mortal kombat.... its just that most of it is on streaming. 

Just now, xiazhi said:

Shazam's Dom run didn't show its WOM. Also China really hate it and that hurt its ww

yeah Despite China rejection movie did well All over ... A Totally new character With Poor Release date+ Low Promotion .. $361 M+ WW is a fine figure ... i m seeing huge potential in this franchise ..

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

OK sure point out one outlier, but the rest are peanuts compared to superhero movies.

I pointed out multiple outliers, and my point is that these movies do well when they're placed under the right circumstances to do well.  The issue is that studios aren't investing as many of their resources into allowing these types of movies to succeed, rather trying to launch the next franchise by rebooting old properties or making endless sequels to their movies that did well.  I can guarantee you if a studio gave a similar level of marketing to a mid-budget adult drama as they gave to, say, Shazam! or Detective Pikachu, it'd probably perform on par if not better than both of those (depending on how appealing the premise of the movie is).

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I pointed out multiple outliers, and my point is that these movies do well when they're placed under the right circumstances to do well.  The issue is that studios aren't investing as many of their resources into allowing these types of movies to succeed, rather trying to launch the next franchise by rebooting old properties or making endless sequels to their movies that did well.  I can guarantee you if a studio gave a similar level of marketing to a mid-budget adult drama as they gave to, say, Shazam! or Detective Pikachu, it'd probably perform on par if not better than both of those (depending on how appealing the premise of the movie is).

What kind of mid budget adult drama? Which actors and which director?

• Knock It Off 1

As for biggest video game movie, worst case scenario I have Illumination’s Mario at Sing Numbers ($270M/$625M).

Sonic is doing Angry Birds numbers at best and AB2 is about to have a Pets 2/LM2 decrease 

Mortal Kombat has to either go all the way hardcore R or try to a soft core PG-13, and either or I can’t see more than Pikachu WW. Otherwise Tomb Raider numbers are a stretch.

Looking at Pets 2, as well as past sequels, the best case scenario for Pikatwo is a small drop barring a Christmas date, in that case small increase. Either way, the best case scenario for Pikatwo is flat from the original. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at a Pets 2 drop.

Uncharted I can see breaking out as lack of action films in Christmas and Holland being a star but if GVK moves the best it can hope for is AssCreed numbers. Otherwise it’s one of the best chances.

Pokemon Red/Blue could do THG numbers but that’s the best case scenario.

A Smash Bros Movie can’t work for multiple reasons due to the characters.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1