DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

11 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Doesn't Happy answer this question during the movie?

Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  He was a "mess," in Happy's words.  I think the movie decides to ask that question so that it can give the answer: Don't be Tony Stark.  Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  Be Peter Parker.

A character theme since maybe Civil War is that even Tony Stark himself sees a potential in Peter to be more than Tony by being different than Tony.  This movie carries that theme forward, and builds smartly off their well-established mentor-apprentice relationship.

Hell, Tony tells Peter he wants him to be better than him in Homecoming.

About the scene showing Peter being like Tony, that doesn't mean he's not himself, it's just a really cool scene showing how alike they are. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

Tony and Happy can say these things, but at no point in the movie does it feel like Peter actually follows up on it. At no point is there that major character moment when Peter has finally matured into his own person and we all just feel it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Tony and Happy can say these things, but at no point in the movie does it feel like Peter actually follows up on it. At no point is there that major character moment when Peter has finally matured into his own person and we all just feel it.

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely feel character growth in those scenes.  Sure, Peter uses Stark's tech, but it's well established that Peter's a genius in his own right.  Every genius uses someone else's tools to their own ends (google Isaac Newton's quote about standing on the shoulders of giants). 

And then he literally uses this tech to design his own suit (eschewing the Iron Spider), for his own purposes, for a scene where he relies on it, his wits, and his unique "Peter-tingle" to outsmart and defeat the bad guy. 

• Like 7

Agreed. By the way, the Spidey sense, it's a bummer that it's not even really a thing in the MCU. I get that they might not want to copy what was done before but come on, they just talk about it, there's no visual (Raimi and Webb did it beautifully) or sound cue. That's disappointing. 

Well, there is some subtle difference between becoming next Tony Stark, and becoming next Iron Man. The movie tends to tell us that Peter Parker should not be a next Tony Stark, but it also implied that Spider-Man is learning to take up the responsibility and role of a geeky, passionate, tech savvy, smart superhero.

However, as I have being saying, the directing and to some degree the script were not well executed/written to convey these points satisfactorily. While these themes were explored, they got interrupted abruptly and awkwardly and kinda of sidetracked or even reversed in later scenes. In the end it left us hanging in the air with regards to the central theme of this movie, or rather kinda buried under the high school caricatured characters and flashy holographic visuals. They landed the jokes/humor too hard, yet just scratching on the surface of the heart and the theme of the movie.

This is the most disappointing aspect of FFH, especially for Spidey and Iron Man fans like me. I left feeling some void and emptiness.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Happy says that - and immediately afterwards we watch Peter Parker be Tony Stark with the tech and designing his suit. What's the point supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure that there was even a reaction shot of Happy when Peter was designing the suit where it implied that Peter reminded Happy of Tony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

Not everyone stays to watch the post credit scenes though.  So you end up with people just thinking SLJ/Fury kinda sucked.

To paraphrase Rhett Butler, "That's their misfortune."

After 23 movies, I'm still surprised to see people getting up and leaving the theater during the credits of these Marvel films. Where do they have to be that they can't wait another 5-10 minutes? The theaters I go to do not have major traffic hassles, so they aren't "beating the rush" like fans who leave concerts before the encore are.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

That's massively important plot points delegated to post credits scenes, what the fuck?

It is okay with me. We know MCU is kinda serialized movie world. Each movie is self contained entity yet related to some previous/next ones.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, John Harris said:

To paraphrase Rhett Butler, "That's their misfortune."

After 23 movies, I'm still surprised to see people getting up and leaving the theater during the credits of these Marvel films. Where do they have to be that they can't wait another 5-10 minutes? The theaters I go to do not have major traffic hassles, so they aren't "beating the rush" like fans who leave concerts before the encore are.

I have no interest in staring at a black screen for an extra 10 minutes after I just spent 2 hours watching a movie I didn't care for.  I don't need to have somewhere to be for that to not sound appealing.  How about they just make the movie be the movie?  Use the post credit scene to tease the next movie, not to modify the movie we just watched.

Edited by ZackM

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm pretty sure that there was even a reaction shot of Happy when Peter was designing the suit where it implied that Peter reminded Happy of Tony.

I thought Peter was a photographer and friendly neighborhood spider-man.

Anyway I read somewhere this sets up next phase for MCU? Not sure how? is it as Spidey being center of new Avengers team? That looks tough with Spidey on a run/hiding with mid-credits scene.

Also weird they mention Dr Strange but not Black Panther or other avengers?

36 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I have no interest in staring at a black screen for an extra 10 minutes after I just spent 2 hours watching a movie I didn't care for.  I don't need to have somewhere to be for that to not sound appealing.  How about they just make the movie be the movie?  Use the post credit scene to tease the next movie, not to modify the movie we just watched.

I think it's kinda cool that Marvel has found a way to get people to sit through the credits - not a "black screen" - so we can take note of all the people who contributed to these films. I like looking through the cast list, the "thanks" to Marvel creators I've followed since the 1970s, the music that was played during the film... But hey, if you didn't enjoy the movie, I completely understand you wanting to exit ASAP. But then why complain about Marvel doing what Marvel has done since the first Iron Man flick?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I thought Peter was a photographer and friendly neighborhood spider-man.

Anyway I read somewhere this sets up next phase for MCU? Not sure how? is it as Spidey being center of new Avengers team? That looks tough with Spidey on a run/hiding with mid-credits scene.

Also weird they mention Dr Strange but not Black Panther or other avengers?

I believe Thor and definitely Captain Marvel were mentioned, when Peter asked Fury how come some other superheroes haven't been recruited for this mission. Maybe you're referring to a specific scene that only mentioned Strange...?

I hope the next film doesn’t have a straight forward solution to Spider-Man being exposed even though there are many out clauses they can use like magic or Skrulls.

Villain wise, I hope for Chameleon rather than Norman Osborn. 

7 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I believe Thor and definitely Captain Marvel were mentioned, when Peter asked Fury how come some other superheroes haven't been recruited for this mission. Maybe you're referring to a specific scene that only mentioned Strange...?

When Peter asks Fury/Hill (or the Skrulls in disguise as them as we find out in the post-credits scene) about the other superheroes he namedrops Thor ("off-world"), Doctor Strange ("unavailable"), and Captain Marvel ("don't even mention her").

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Agreed. By the way, the Spidey sense, it's a bummer that it's not even really a thing in the MCU. I get that they might not want to copy what was done before but come on, they just talk about it, there's no visual (Raimi and Webb did it beautifully) or sound cue. That's disappointing. 

In literally every mcu movie is spider sense - civil war - “hey guys, something weird...” when antman becomes giant man, IW in the bus - hair on his arm and so on

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I think it's kinda cool that Marvel has found a way to get people to sit through the credits - not a "black screen" - so we can take note of all the people who contributed to these films. I like looking through the cast list, the "thanks" to Marvel creators I've followed since the 1970s, the music that was played during the film... But hey, if you didn't enjoy the movie, I completely understand you wanting to exit ASAP. But then why complain about Marvel doing what Marvel has done since the first Iron Man flick?

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but the post credit scenes normally don't modify the movie, do they?  They simply tease something else.  What I'm taking issue with is showing a character to be incompetent out of nowhere, and then relying on a post credit scene to explain it.  That's not good.  Nobody should think that's good.

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

When Peter asks Fury/Hill (or the Skrulls in disguise as them as we find out in the post-credits scene) about the other superheroes he namedrops Thor ("off-world"), Doctor Strange ("unavailable"), and Captain Marvel ("don't even mention her").

is such Talos thing to say. I'm glad that i was spoiled about the disguise so I got the reference. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

15 minutes ago, ZackM said:

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but the post credit scenes normally don't modify the movie, do they?  They simply tease something else.  What I'm taking issue with is showing a character to be incompetent out of nowhere, and then relying on a post credit scene to explain it.  That's not good.  Nobody should think that's good. 

That's a solid point. It didn't bother me because I always stick around for the after-credits scene. And some of them have shown some "important" plot developments that may not necessarily change the film dramatically but do more than just set up the future (Far From Home's does both, yes). Ragnarok's for instance, went from leaving the heroes in a relatively good place - having escaped Ragnarok on Asgard, Thor and his fellow Asgardians are seen flying through space - then the after-credits scene shows them confronted by Thanos' ship. Similarly, Ant Man and the Wasp ends on a happy note, but then we see Scott trapped in the Quantum Realm while his friends get dusted, leaving him in a very different state than viewers who didn't stay for the scene might think. Infinity War's after credits scene (with Fury disappearing right after contacting Captain Marvel) is also an important development. Some OTOH, are played just for laughs, like Iron Man 3's, Ant-Man and the Wasp's second stinger, The Avengers...

I consider these scenes to be part of the movie, so I'm OK seeing the big Fury reveal at the end. But your argument makes sense - FFH's was a little different. I don't necessarily agree that, even without these scenes, staying for the credits is a complete waste of time. The people I'm with usually take that time to discuss the film we just watched as we note anything interesting that might pop up during the credits. But that's me.

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

Then you really only have yourself to blame.

• Like 3