Eric Quinn

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

This board can be one of the funniest ones to read online...

Spidey had a great 1st day...now hopefully, it has a great 1st week...and then a 2nd one, like Toy Story 4 just got, b/c nothing major plans to open against it next weekend, either...unlike Homecoming, which was stuck with Apes3, a quality franchise pic, opening right after...

It could be an uber-lucrative 1st 17 days before The Lion King even has a chance to "bite" into the audience:)...let me repeat, 17 days, with only 2 small movies opening in between...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Another big movie people will complain and say it’s disappointment because it’s only doing $ 180M 6-Day? Shocked.

What’s next? Call TLK a disaster if opens with $ 190M?

Anyway, solid day for FFH. Bodes well for $ 180M debut which is good.

Also great jumps for TS4 and Aladdin, considering FFH opening day. TS4 should be at $ 305M or a little more by sunday, it’s holding well, unless TLK destroy it, $ 400M is happening.

• Like 2

Imo, this bodes well for It 2, Jumanji 3, and Star Wars TROS. All three of them released around a similar time, had good/great audience reception, and had very similar competition (not including Annabelle because it released in a more competitive date than the 2nd film and it didn't have great audience reception). Although they didn't have the "Endgame boost", I think there will be enough hype for an increase.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

The repeat of the 2017 disappointing Homecoming first week drops begin....

Seriously whatever predictions are made on here I'm immediately taking away 25% from the lower option, because predictions on here by some for the last while have been way off.

You know who are........

Edited by Ryaner90
  • Knock It Off 4

1 hour ago, AlexMA said:

It made it to 31 days over 2 million and last week its Thursday was higher than its Monday, so yeah, it's a pretty damn leggy movie this one.

And like you said it's guaranteed 45 days over $1 million and might even make it to 52 if next Monday stays above $1 million (because chances are its Thursday will again be higher). If that happens it will equal Black Panther who also made it to 52 consecutive days over $1 million.

To find movies with higher numbers than that we'd have to go way back to Avatar (80 days, yes, 80 frigging days) or Titanic (101 days, no, that's not a typo).

I am probably wrong but I think only 17 movies had more than 45 days above 1m (there is the chance that some old movies from the 70' and 80' did more days above 1m too, but I honestly don't really know)

Titanic (101)

E.T (80)

SW TPM (61) (Wed opener)

Finding Nemo (59)

Shrek 2 (54) (Wed opener)

Jurassic Park (54) 

Ghostbuster (54) 

Back to the Future (54)

The Avengers (52)

Hangover (52)

Black Panther (52)

Incredibles 2 (52)

Shrek (52)

The Passion of the Christ (48) (Wed opener, the 48th day was Easter Monday)

Frozen (47) (Wed opener)

PotC I (47) (Wed opener)

Probably missed some.

Edited by Taruseth
Fixed falsely declared Wednesday Openers, thanks to TServo2049
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

I am probably wrong but I think only 17 movies had more than 45 days above 1m (there is the chance that some old movies from the 70' and 80' did more days above 1m too, but I honestly don't really know)

Titanic (101)

E.T (80)

SW TPM (61) (Wed opener)

Finding Nemo (59)

Shrek 2 (54) (Wed opener)

Jurassic Park (54) (Wed opener)

Ghostbuster (54) (Wed opener)

Back to the Future (54) (Wed opener)

The Avengers (52)

Hangover (52)

Black Panther (52)

Incredibles 2 (52)

Shrek (52)

The Passion of the Christ (48) (Wed opener, the 48th day was Easter Monday)

Frozen (47) (Wed opener)

PotC I (47) (Wed opener)

Probably missed some.

You made a mistake copying, JP/GB/BTTF all opened on Fridays.

@baumer thank you for being the cranky old guy so I didnt have to. 

I am really over the attitude on this board overall. Years of dealing with the over reactions will do that. 

39m is great, inline with my previous expectations (arouns 360m). 

Thank you Charlie for the info and the learning curve this unfortunately gave ya. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'd be surprised if even 5% of theaters gave ffm the Tuesday discount. Tuesday and Wednesday openers don't get it, never have.

As many as I saw in the Dallas area if nationally would definitely push it closer to 25% or more, but not sure how to extrapolate that. Its definitely higher than normal, but what is normal since we rarely have Tuesday releases. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, narniadis said:

As many as I saw in the Dallas area if nationally would definitely push it closer to 25% or more, but not sure how to extrapolate that. Its definitely higher than normal, but what is normal since we rarely have Tuesday releases. 

My local actually gave a discount on some evening shows but not others. I suspect a decent fraction of theaters may have given the discount out of habit since it's become such a big thing now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Last year's Christmas movies released on Tuesday and literally zero in my area got the discount (AMC, Cinemark and a local chain). And for Wednesday releases the Tuesday previews never get it. I wish rth were a little more active, now I'm curious about this. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@baumer thank you for being the cranky old guy so I didnt have to. 

I am really over the attitude on this board overall. Years of dealing with the over reactions will do that. 

39m is great, inline with my previous expectations (arouns 360m). 

Thank you Charlie for the info and the learning curve this unfortunately gave ya. 

Eh, I can only see one with super negative attitude who is borderline trolling now. Begins with 'R'.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

As I said, I don't think FFH had enough discounts to cause a huge decrease in sales. The gross was lower than what Charlie said earlier because the movie ended up being more presales heavier than Charlie expected, not because of the prices of the tickets. 

This is a great number. We don't need excuses for a great number like this. Giving excuses (not just the discount Tuesday one but the godawful "no one knew it released on Tuesday" one) only makes the number seem more disappointing when it isn't at all. I'm betting no one would be coming up with these excuses if Charlie said 40 mil at first.

Canada was completely on discount Tuesday yesterday. There's 10% of your tickets. I'm sure half of the USA was doing discount Tuesday as well. So yeah it does make a difference.

• Like 3