sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

14 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

But that is just social media, period. Even when it is authentic, it's still a very tiny percentage of the possible audience.... even tinier when you consider the number of people who are mostly doing all the talking.... Less than 1 percent of the people on social media are responsible for steering all the conversations on it, and yet everyone is looking at that 1 percent as if it's a solid representation of what "the people" are really thinking. A thing gets 20 thousand retweets and people call that blowing up... but if that same 20 thousand people watch a youtube video that video might as well not even exist. If a show on netflix only got 20 thousand streams on its opening day they would cancel it the next weekend.... but for some reason someone can scream racist garbage on twitter and get 20 thousand retweets and next thing you know he's in the White House because the news sites have all believed since the 1990's that their stories only exist in response to what the comments says about them... So of course all they do is look at social media and turn 1 percent into the whole world.

It makes box office number chasing seem sane and orderly in comparison.... and that is sort of disturbing considering how many people in here believe in stuff like "shilling" and critic conspiracies. 

That's why trailers views and retweets and shit lead to OTT predictions. Sometimes enormous views indicate mega breakout (EG) but those instances can be foreseen from many other signs. More often than not, trailer views, etc social media chatter don't tell us anything about GA interest of lack thereof.

@Krissykins that tweet is :rofl:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

How is it brave to take roles of marginalized groups? You know, after people said they don't want you to.

One group of people on the internet may be loud but they don't always represent everyone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's why trailers views and retweets and shit lead to OTT predictions. Sometimes enormous views indicate mega breakout (EG) but those instances can be foreseen from many other signs. More often than not, trailer views, etc social media chatter don't tell us anything about GA interest of lack thereof.

I can tell you that nobody at any point in time thought that Midsommar was gonna be a blockbuster no matter how many trailer views it got lmao. The fact it's already made more than mother! did in total is a small achievement. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can tell you that nobody at any point in time thought that Midsommar was gonna be a blockbuster no matter how many trailer views it got lmao. The fact it's already made more than mother! did in total is a small achievement. 

but not when compared to the movie from the same brand. This reminds me of Ant Man spins. It's the smallest MCU franchise...but it passed MoS! Yeah, no. And I'm a big Ant Man stan but I'm also objective. It's considerably down from other MCU even in its second outing while costing just as much as far bigger individual franchises. And whether it's bigger than competitor's movie is irrelevant for it still doesn't make it a bigger success in its own house where it's clobbered by anything that isn't Phase 1. Just admit that Aster didn't repeat for to repeat the movie would have to make more than Hereditary which made only 44M so not a high bar. 

Edited by Valonqar

Midsommar is not getting good buzz at all at the horror communities I am a part of but whatever. Crawl on the other hand seems to be enjoyed by the people that have watched it. I have no opinion in either of these films.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

but not when compared to the movie from the same brand. This reminds me of Ant Man spins. It's the smallest MCU franchise...but it passed MoS! Yeah, no. And I'm a big Ant Man stan but I'm also objective. It's considerably down from other MCU even in its second outing while costing just as much as far bigger individual franchises. And whether it's bigger than competitor's movie is irrelevant for it still doesn't make it a bigger success in its own house where it's clobbered by anything that isn't Phase 1. Just admit that Aster didn't repeat for to repeat the movie would have to make more than Hereditary which made only 44M so not a high bar. 

Image result for mind blowing gif

How is the MCU or Ant-Man or whatever at all relevant lmao.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

i don't remember anyone here saying that midsommar was gonna be bigger than hereditary. it always looked weirder. nonetheless i've often thought that midsommar is "the ant-man of horror" so thank you for finally articulating that for me.

• Haha 1

TS4 vs TS3 battle heating up now. Still has a decent 7m lead, but slipped below TS3's 4th weekend gross. I think it's going to be a photo finish. Ironically, TS4 may still win in admissions if TS3 was over 50% 3D for its whole run. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

She didn't say that though.  She said it's a trend in my business that needs to happen for various social reasons but that yes it does impact the art of acting where you pretend to be all kinds of things you're not.

It wasn't the most elegant or articulate turn of phrase but she wasn't doubling down on her mistakes the way Vulture claimed.   Criticism was warranted before in her acceptance of roles but it was disproportionate compared to other films and actors and Vulture cherry picking one phrase via the Daily Mail seems like more disproportionate piling on.

Sorry but she gets no points from me for stating the bare minimum, certainly not when it's clear that she still believes she should be able to play any role she wants.  She still sounds arrogant and ignorant and should be called on it. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

Spidey gets high, while new releases don’t bring a new light. 

Spider-Man Far From Home continues to lead the top spot this weekend. While the two new releases are a mixed bag this weekend. 

Spider-Man Far From Home led the top spot once again with an estimated $45.3 million, and a 2nd weekend drop of 51%. It’s second weekend drop was marginally better than Homecoming’s 62% drop. However that drop was with the release of War Of The Planet Of The Apes opening at this point two years ago. It’s also interesting to note that this is the first Spider-Man solo film to be on the top spot for more than one weekend, since Spider-Man 3! Overall as worldwide is already outgrossing what Homecoming did in it’s entire run and it’s playing quite strong. I wouldn’t be shocked if this comes close to $400 million domestic total. 

Toy Story 4 has held up nicely on the second spot this weekend as it has dropped below 40%. The film should still come close to Toy Story 3’s domestic total, which is quite a rarity for 4th films in today’s day and age.

Crawl debuted with an estimated $12 million. That debut isn’t a big chomper like The Meg(which Deadline brags about at this comparison)or even The Shallows. But keep in mind this is actually a decent start for a film with a $13.5 million budget, I know people will be complaining about how this could’ve been a tent pole or this didn’t have star power etc but c’mon you’re selling a film during hurricane season about a crocodile in a hurricane. Which studios have tried to sell goofy scenarios before like Snakes On A Plane for example and that was considered a box office disappointment and that had a major star selling the movie! Or Crawl’s own director Alexandre Aja with Piranha 3D which sold on the 3D craze more than anything, and it didn’t make a jaw-dropping domestic total but it made a killing overseas. 

Crawl’s debut is a tough comparison as it is on-par with 47 Meters Down. The debut was below Summer 2016’s sleeper The Shallows. Also was below the adjusted $19.4 million debut of the last croc film Lake Placid, the $18.9(or $19 million rounded as it was $18.99) debut of Snakes On A Plane, and a far cry from Aja’s $14 million adjusted debut of Mirrors. It was also similar to the adjusted $11.8 million debut of Piranha 3D. Overall this should make a bite with around $30 million domestic.  

While Crawl will probably be considered an ok start for Paramount, Stuber was not a good or an ok start for Fox. Stuber suffered a flat tire this weekend with an estimated $8 million. That debut is below comparable July R-rated comedy bombs such as Sex Tape. It’s similar to The House from two years ago, which debuted around $8 million as well during a holiday weekend. It’s also below the debut of other buddy comedy bombs such as RIPD or The Nice Guys for example. However it’s close to the debut of CHiPs and some of the other buddy movie bombs like The Glimmer Man for example(without adjusting ticket price inflation). Stuber will probably crash off theaters fast, and make close to $20 million domestic. 

Yesterday still pulling strong for a little movie without big stars. The film should do north of $60 million domestic and be a nice profit for Universal. Aladdin still pulling in strong as it’s $40 million away from $1 billion and is now Will Smith’s highest grossing film domestic! Aladdin should definitely outgross Alice In Wonderland soon. 

Horror films Annabelle Comes Home and Midsommar had decent drops this weekend. Annabelle dropped at 41% and Midsommar close to 46%. Which Midsommar is playing better than It Comes At Night two years ago. $25 million domestic will be a stretch for Midsommar but not a shock, and Annabelle close to $70 million domestic.

Two dead sequels still on the top 10 and holding up ok. Secret Life Of Pets 2 almost $150 million, and should do close to $155 million domestic. Men In Black International is well dead to Sony.... need I say anymore?

Rocketman and Endgame still pulling out strong. Rocketman will sadly fall short of $100 million possibly now, and Endgame will do $855-$860 million roughly.

overall the top 12 this weekend was at $116.4 million this weekend which is down 26% from last year when Hotel Transylvania 3 pulled in a decent amount of cash,  and Skyscraper crashed domestically. 

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Can we not spoil Midsommar here? Thanks. I don't need to know there is a twist you assholes.

Would it  make you feel better that there actually isn't a twist?   Or is that now a spoiler too? :thinking:. 😛

But either way, yes I wish people would stop posting spoilers or even near spoilers too