sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

Are we...are we really suggesting she shouldn't be able to play any role she wants??

What in the actual fuck??? @DAJK you seem to be pretty level headed on these kinds of things; what do you think? If you've already commented I haven't seen, as I don't have the time at the moment to go through the thread. Am I on an island here as usual?

I mean yea, I've got my own opinion on this but I understand that not everyone will share it, and I'm totally cool with that. I also understand that I may not know the full story, or the context behind everything being said, as I'm only going off things I have read on this forum and on articles on the internet (and we all know that the internet NEVER lies or stretches the truth).

But to me it seems like the real problem is the fact that actors from various minorities or different sexual orientations/genders are not given equal opportunities for roles in Hollywood. It has always been a problem, and it looks like it still is. This whole ScarJo controversy seems to be a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it. Because of course, I think any actor should have the opportunity to play any role they want. They just have to audition or be contacted by the casting directors like any other actor, and they need to have equal consideration based on their talent, not their identity. So in theory, yes I think an actor/actress should be able to play any role they are suited for talent-wise, but the problem is that transgender actors (in this case in particular) have been given very little opportunities in Hollywood

So if ScarJo wants to play a role, I think she should be able to, as long as all other actors have been given fair consideration due to their talent rather than their identity or bankability. And Hollywood does need to become more inclusive with transgender actors, including in roles where the character is not transgender. Could a transgender actor play the next Wolverine in the MCU? Of course! There is nothing about the character of Wolverine that says a transgender actor cannot play him. Because he is a character, and an actor is an actor. They are separate. But these actors aren't getting the fair consideration they deserve, that is why it is such a slippery slope.

Anyways, those are my two cents. I completely understand if people see it another way, and I am not opposed to changing my views if I'm presented with a different perspective. :) So if people do see the situation differently, which I know many people do, I really do like that these Forums are an amalgamation of different perspectives, and I would love to discuss those perspectives. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well its 77.2% http://irfiles.cineplex.com/reportsandfilings/2018/Q1-2018 Investor Deck_FINAL.pdf

However its 100% in my city of Brampton with 622k people with two theaters owned by Cineplex. 

Canada is notorious for having companies control markets on their own or have 2-3 companies dominate the marketshare.

This is very true and I was just going to say it. It's especially true for things like cable/internet and mobility. It's why we Canadians have the biggest cell bills by far. Charges are asinine.

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

All kidding aside, I will laugh and laugh and laugh if Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is the sole film of the four (Dumbo, Aladdin, TLK) to get a fresh rating on RT this year.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that Aladdin and The Lion King especially will smoke it to hell and back at the box office.  But who would have possibly guessed when Maleficent 2 was moved to this year that it might be the only film in the current set of cartoons to live action to earn a fresh rating over on RT, should TLK just pip under it.

Not I, that's for sure.

Is there currently any reason to believe that M2 won't get a "rotten" rating?

13 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

Is there currently any reason to believe that M2 won't get a "rotten" rating?

Pssst...  Don't ruin the joke. ;)

(Also, never know, could be different enough that it just skates over the rotten/fresh line)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

WTF did I just read? Really, Deadline? On what planet is 51% marginally better than 62%? It's a lot better. A lot. And it could get 50 or 49% with actual.

Sometime it is because they say hold in what is lost and not in retention rate stayed.

It made 49% of the first weekend instead of 38%, look like that it is a big 29% better.

Looking at 62% instead of 51% is 21.5%

In this case the hold is so much better in whatever way you look at it...

1 minute ago, xiazhi said:

Of the four movies racing to 1b, which one will finish first?

Far From Home most likely. TS4 and Aladdin will rely on the Japanese gross which tends to be over a long period of time, and I don't think Lion King is looking at a billion dollar weekend.

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Far From Home most likely. TS4 and Aladdin will rely on the Japanese gross which tends to be over a long period of time, and I don't think Lion King is looking at a billion dollar weekend.

There's no way spidey breaks 1b next week. TLK has the next two weeks to reach 1b.

Spider-Man: Far from Home $14,000,000
Toy Story 4 $6,600,000
Crawl $3,360,000
Stuber $2,170,000
Yesterday $1,990,000
Aladdin (2019) $1,756,000
Annabelle Comes Home $1,635,000
Midsommar $1,114,000
The Secret Life of Pets 2 $984,000
Avengers: Endgame $566,000
Men in Black International $531,000
Rocketman $496,000
Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Astonished 2

Endgame going up $90 thousand is nice, everything counts with numbers this low. Hopefully overseas actuals go up decently as well. Great overall weekend drop for Far From Home. $400 million is still unknown, but this definitely keeps it in play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I mean yea, I've got my own opinion on this but I understand that not everyone will share it, and I'm totally cool with that. I also understand that I may not know the full story, or the context behind everything being said, as I'm only going off things I have read on this forum and on articles on the internet (and we all know that the internet NEVER lies or stretches the truth).

But to me it seems like the real problem is the fact that actors from various minorities or different sexual orientations/genders are not given equal opportunities for roles in Hollywood. It has always been a problem, and it looks like it still is. This whole ScarJo controversy seems to be a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it. Because of course, I think any actor should have the opportunity to play any role they want. They just have to audition or be contacted by the casting directors like any other actor, and they need to have equal consideration based on their talent, not their identity. So in theory, yes I think an actor/actress should be able to play any role they are suited for talent-wise, but the problem is that transgender actors (in this case in particular) have been given very little opportunities in Hollywood

So if ScarJo wants to play a role, I think she should be able to, as long as all other actors have been given fair consideration due to their talent rather than their identity or bankability. And Hollywood does need to become more inclusive with transgender actors, including in roles where the character is not transgender. Could a transgender actor play the next Wolverine in the MCU? Of course! There is nothing about the character of Wolverine that says a transgender actor cannot play him. Because he is a character, and an actor is an actor. They are separate. But these actors aren't getting the fair consideration they deserve, that is why it is such a slippery slope.

Anyways, those are my two cents. I completely understand if people see it another way, and I am not opposed to changing my views if I'm presented with a different perspective. :) So if people do see the situation differently, which I know many people do, I really do like that these Forums are an amalgamation of different perspectives, and I would love to discuss those perspectives. 

The issue is that you guys present a logical answer but the debate on twitter and on this website is far more extreme.

You are about equal opportunities but it seems you guys are actually calling for racial quotas in films or think that such roles should only filed by people of those groups only in the end. 

Personally as a minority I could care less if a movie had a 33% diverse case in it, but instead has one role of a minority that is given proper screen time and respect. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

If it wasnt for Antman and the Wasp, Marvel would have a streak of 6 billion dollar movies in the span of 17 months!:ohmygod:

Black Panther :ohmygod:

Infinity War  :ohmygod:

Antman and the Wasp  :whosad:

Captain Marvel  :ohmygod:

Endgame  :ohmygod:

Far From Home  :ohmygod:

Truly unprecedented and a run of film box office that will probably never be topped. So much for comic book movie fatigue.:sparta:

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 5
  • Disbelief 1