Eric the Ape

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

38 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Between her laughable voice acting and insipid new songs in this movie, is everyone finally ready to retire the myth that Beyonce is talented? 

You're insipid!

• Thanks 2

Excited to see how the weekend plays out for Lion King, movie is already doing great in a bunch of overseas territories. Hopefully domestic is more akin to Korea/Europe/ANZ than China. 

Just now, cannastop said:

The Lion King 2019 isn't out in Japan yet. 🤔

It is not but that is probably a good thing as Weathering With You is coming out there this weekend and as good as I think Lion King will do in Japan it wouldn’t win that battle. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

It is not but that is probably a good thing as Weathering With You is coming out there this weekend and as good as I think Lion King will do in Japan it wouldn’t win that battle. 

Yeah true, and if Weathering With You hold up like Your Name, The Lion King isn't winning any battles at all.

Just now, cannastop said:

Yeah true, and if Weathering With You hold up like Your Name, The Lion King isn't winning any battles at all.

I think Weathering With You will be more front loaded. Early reception is that WWY is more like early Shinkai works than Your Name, so maybe won’t be as crowd pleasing, but yeah if there is a breakout that will hurt the prospects of Lion King in Japan. 

3 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

I think Weathering With You will be more front loaded. Early reception is that WWY is more like early Shinkai works than Your Name, so maybe won’t be as crowd pleasing, but yeah if there is a breakout that will hurt the prospects of Lion King in Japan. 

Don't forget One Piece either!

Wow, it's a busy summer at the box office in Japan.

• Like 1

Beyoncé really came through on this record, I love Spirit, and I understand why they chose it as the leading song, but it really is one of the weaker tracks. The album is phenomenal.

My audience loved it.

It is a literal scene by scene remake of the original, so it's good. The movie is better suited for animation, but the pacing is good and everything is spot on. I think younger audiences will connect better with the hyper-realism vs. old school animation. And, man, a lot of girls kept going on about how cute the animals were, which they were. The animals are very cute.

14 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Beyoncé really came through on this record, I love Spirit, and I understand why they chose it as the leading song, but it really is one of the weaker tracks. The album is phenomenal.

Her song isn’t bad, but Elton’s new song is terrific.

He’s gonna have a tough choice come Oscar season, though I suspect he’ll lean towards the Rocketman song, since it’s more personal.

The man still has it.

Yep, my body is ready for this weekend to hopefully blow us away at the box office, or at least you know, move us a little... like a strong breeze that you didn't expect, only we expect this so maybe a bit stronger than a breeze if that's okay with Mr. Mickey Mouse, if it's not too much to ask.

i think the correct comps to make are jurassic world and incredibles 2, the only huge mid-summer movies recently. both were follow-ups to beloved originals but not fandom-driven so better internal multiplier. they both had 18m thursday previews and 200m and 180m ow respectively. so if this has low end 22 thurs that should still make 180m the low end for the weekend even with bad wom (i'll get to that). high end 25 thurs (or even 30, since that report was like 6 hours ago), would make the weekend.................. idk... i think honestly 200 is locked already, but i wanna say tlj 220 low end tfa 250 high end... BECAUSE................ this is gonna be critic proof like aladdin, and have no competition like aladdin. 56 is literally the new 100, like critics are kinda over. jasmine said i WON'T be silent. now do i dare give it aladdin's multi (assuming 350 dom finish) and thus a dom total over endgame? i really want to and i feel it's justice for making thor a joke. and if china was proportional to dom then i would even say it has a shot at 2.5b or even avatar/endgame ww. but sadly that's probably not possible. even though aladdin is smashing with meh china. omg why is coco randomly the only musical china liked. either way thank you lion king for giving aladdin its bp/iw cm/endgame bump and thus 1b ww. i CAN feel the love tonight

SaBLg1x.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Her song isn’t bad, but Elton’s new song is terrific.

He’s gonna have a tough choice come Oscar season, though I suspect he’ll lean towards the Rocketman song, since it’s more personal.

The man still has it.

I really enjoy Elton‘s music, and still I was very surprised how much I liked his new song. What do you think of Beyoncé‘s new Lion King album?