sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

I honestly don't think anyone really liked US.  Those who say they did are lying to themselves. They'll watch it again in two years and be horrified at what they are seeing.  It's truly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

are you for real, B? just because you personally (among others) did not like it, it's not possible for anyone to like it?

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Glad I could help. Maybe this will help the smaller films too?

yes it does help small films. Once you are used to the subscription, you just see anything that you might be tempted in, there is no cost of going to see any particular film. You dont feel like you need to get your moneys worth because you're only spending your time.

First year i had unlimited films, I went from seeing ~15 films in 2014, to seeing 160 films in 2015. I saw all kinds of tiny little films, and big films, and all in between. it was awesome.

• Like 2

Just now, Avatree said:

are you for real, B? just because you personally (among others) did not like it, it's not possible for anyone to like it?

yes it does help small films. Once you are used to the subscription, you just see anything that you might be tempted in, there is no cost of going to see any particular film. You dont feel like you need to get your moneys worth because you're only spending your time.

First year i had unlimited films, I went from seeing ~15 films in 2014, to seeing 160 films in 2015. I saw all kinds of tiny little films, and big films, and all in between. it was awesome.

160!!!! Dear God.

I was pleased I saw almost 100 back when Moviepass was $35 a month a truly unlimited. Worked in cinema suites AMC

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It make more sense for it;s placement imo:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/quentin_tarantino

Under Django-Unglorious.

The metascore is probably the result of the MC average score inflation over time, I doubt Bastard/Kill Bill would be a 69 in today critics world, that what Hateful Eight got.

MC is high compared to RT top critics b/c they rated 8 or so unscored reviews at 90-100%

• Haha 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

160!!!! Dear God.

I was pleased I saw almost 100 back when Moviepass was $35 a month a truly unlimited. Worked in cinema suites AMC

Yep pretty nuts.

I mean, 6 months of that year I wasn't doing anything, that was between me getting kicked out of school and starting my first job, so had a bit of free time. And then the other 6 months I worked in a cinema so very easy to watch films before / after work. But yeah.

Last year think I did 120 cinema trips or so. I go two or three times a week, try to watch everything that comes out. If I have an evening where I'm not busy, i'll go out and watch a film.  It's rather wonderful when money stops being an element of whether you watch a film. It's a 15 minute drive, free parking, and I tend to just get tap water rather than buying food/drink. Money simply doesn't come into it. It is very freeing.

I worked in a cinema that had a similar subscription system too, and do notice that a lot of the customers seeing smaller films were the "Infinity" card holders. it definitely helps smaller films.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I guess. Either way it's more expensive for a worse product with no protection for the consumer. Don't even get me started on drug prices. Outright theft versus basically all other countries.

For me I definitely won't spend $450 for a short flight much less $1000 for 3 of us except for holidays. Can't imagine living here and traveling while retired. Would cost like $30-50k a year in airfare.

Are they really that expensive in the US??

Isn't the price also depending on how far you are flying and if you get a special offer and all that stuff, because while you theoretically can fly for $50 from Northern Germany to London and back if you are lucky you can also pay more if you just buy regularly.

Drug prices are quite high in Germany too, though most of those are paid by medical insurances so most people won't necessarily notice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Awesome. In regards to US I did notice the Audience score of 62% vs critics of 94%. That does make me wonder. Still gonna watch it

it was higher when it first came out. 

6 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Are they really that expensive in the US??

Isn't the price also depending on how far you are flying and if you get a special offer and all that stuff, because while you theoretically can fly for $50 from Northern Germany to London and back if you are lucky you can also pay more if you just buy regularly.

Drug prices are quite high in Germany too, though most of those are paid by medical insurances so most people won't necessarily notice.

Insulin without insurance is $300 a vial. 

Yes tickets are insane. Often several hundred for plane tickets that are 1-2 stops, all basic economy with loads of fees. The cost is so bad I literally would never consider retiring in America. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

But movies like US, John Wyck 3, and OUAT, are making the same amount as movies like Pikachu, Shazam, How to Train3, and SLOP2. It's just that we are in a situation where $150-$200 million is great for one time of film but horrible for another. That's where we are right now. That's because some studios have tapped into how to spur MONSTER blockbusters, making average box office success look horrible. Fractured interests make some look like failures. Disney has excelled in making movies that reach a broad audience because they have existing themes. If the free market is to work, then perhaps the onus should be on the other studios to put out better products IF they want to get $300, $400, and $500 million movies. But I will say that those expectations are VERY unreasonable and unfair to be the measure for success.

Shazam and PIkachu have not made $150,000,000, and everything is pointing to Hollywood going nowhere near that number. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I honestly don't think anyone really liked US.  Those who say they did are lying to themselves. They'll watch it again in two years and be horrified at what they are seeing.  It's truly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

This blanket statement is ridiculous.  Not everyone thinks like you or has the same taste as you.  Art is subjective . Much of your taste and life experiences form your opinions.

• Like 4

I love US. I'm aware of problems including that it's more a comedy than horror and that ending overexplains the whole thing to the point that it makes no sense, but Lupita is so freakin fantastic in this and the rest of the cast is ace. I usually don't like Moss but she was a hoot in this. Big props to Shahadi Wright and Winston Duke who's so damn likable. oh and that Got 5 on It montage near the end.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Avatree said:

yes, Us was quite divisive, strong views either way on enjoying it and disliking it.

I thought it was just fine so I guess I’m the odd man out. Really strong first half but definitely thought it botched the last 20 minutes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I thought it was just fine so I guess I’m the odd man out. Really strong first half but definitely thought it botched the last 20 minutes.

Agreed it starts off well but middle section drags. In the last 20 minutes, I fell asleep after there was a car on fire(?), woke up, saw some rabbits, fell asleep again, then woke up, saw three seconds of people holding hands and cut to credits. Hell of a rollercoaster ride. the fact i can't be bothered to rewatch the ending probably speaks to how meh i found it.

Come on guys relax LOL. No i don't really mean that nobody really liked it. I was just kind of trying to be funny a little bit. Yes I'm aware that my opinion does not rule all. Some of you guys take me way too seriously even after knowing me for 15 years.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Any early numbers or forecast on Hobbs and Shaw? @Porthos

giphy.gif

====

I might not have any good comps for the movie - but it was selling pretty horribly until recently, when it finally started to pick up a bit.

However MI:6, which I never tracked, also sold horribly until about a week before release (according to Pulse archives) and H&S was allegedly doing better than it, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ask me again on Tue, basically. :lol:

• Like 3