sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope that Crawl's lifetime total is at least 10M over Shillsomar.:lol: Still getting the kick out of such an unassuming release kicking the shit out of the most shilled movie on the Internet since Snake Pilgrim on a Plane. 

You never fail to find the most bizarre, non-existent issues with some movies. Don't you have something better to do?

• Like 5

An opening in the 40’s is great for OUATIH, isn’t that a record opening for Tarantino??

Not surprised at the steep drop for Lion King. Would’t that be one of the worst drops for these Disney live action remakes? 

Is that already known here?

Update! 's audience survey for - 48% cited their primary reason for seeing the film was director , the norm for this metric is just 7%!

Update! 's audience survey for 's - 2nd biggest reason for seeing the film, "The cast as a whole" came in at 39%, the norm is 18%.

Edited by terrestrial
missing 'y'
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

An opening in the 40’s is great for OUATIH, isn’t that a record opening for Tarantino??

Not surprised at the steep drop for Lion King. Would’t that be one of the worst drops for these Disney live action remakes? 

it would be if it held but likely won't. Saturday increase and all that. 

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Is that already known here?

Update! 's audience survey for - 48% cited their primary reason for seeing the film was director , the norm for this metric is just 7%!

Update! 's audience survey for 's - 2nd biggest reason for seeing the film, "The cast as a whole" came in at 39%, the norm is 18%.

am reaching here but that could explain the front-loading (previews to OD ratio).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I hope that Crawl's lifetime total is at least 10M over Shillsomar.:lol: Still getting the kick out of such an unassuming release kicking the shit out of the most shilled movie on the Internet since Snake Pilgrim on a Plane. 

reminder that he's saying this because he saw too many 4chan posts about it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

nah it'll lose a shitton of theaters next weekend. will end closer to 35.

I'm reluctant to suggest that it'll lose too many theaters simply because of the small number of films that have released over the past few weekends. If I were a theater owner, I'd think that the time for me to get rid of Crawl would be the weekend of the 9th when Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark opens alongside 3 or 4 other new wide releases, and that's if I didn't think it was too soon for a film that isn't quite a whole month old by that time.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It shouldn't lose that much next weekend since there's only new movie opening but it (and a whole bunch of other movies) will definitely see big theater loses on August 9 (and the 16th afterwards) when no less than 5 new movies open.

In general, yes. However I would think that all the extra Lion King showings will be the prime real estate target for theaters trying to fit in new movies. A standard 16-plex just doesn't need 8 screens for Lion King anymore by week 3. Let alone by week 4.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

4PM will do that but the example above were either franchise sequel or Nolan 

9 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I forgot Dunkirk is perfect comp for this, same Calender placement and Director having his own following. Here Leo is bonus. 

Dunkirk did 20 Friday after 5.5 Previews, but those were 6PM. Adjusting for that and yearly front loading of business, 17 seems about right.

• Like 2