Eric S'ennui

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

I'll hold off my thoughts until I see it again on Friday (my first impression is that it's a collection of scenes (most of which are good/really good!) but not much of a movie).

I will say that I've never had a crowd react to a movie like this. People don't react here - you're lucky to get laughs in a comedy. Even Endgame got nothing. But people here were cheering like it was a concert. WOM is going to be next, next level.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'll hold off my thoughts until I see it again on Friday (my first impression is that it's a collection of scenes (most of which are good/really good!) but not much of a movie).

I will say that I've never had a crowd react to a movie like this. People don't react here - you're lucky to get laughs in a comedy. Even Endgame got nothing. But people here were cheering like it was a concert. WOM is going to be next, next level.

You're going to tell me people didn't react to DH2

14 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

They did at the midnight showing, but not the regular ones.

People were stomping their feet and screaming at the screen today.

I'm all for the audience getting really into a movie especially after the past couple of years but I do hope when I see it tomorrow night the crowd controls themselves a bit. Several scenes in Endgame I missed dialogue because the crowd was going bananas.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Several scenes in Endgame I missed dialogue because the crowd was going bananas.

I will never get over that NO ONE at Marvel realized they needed to have Cap say “Avengers Assemble” louder cause maybe the screams would be too loud to hear it. I just giggle every time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I'm all for the audience getting really into a movie especially after the past couple of years but I do hope when I see it tomorrow night the crowd controls themselves a bit. Several scenes in Endgame I missed dialogue because the crowd was going bananas.

The true driver of rewatch business is deafening crowds 👀

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

I missed the "Puny God" line after Hulk rag dolled Loki the first few times I saw it because the crowds would laugh so hard. If I'd missed it because someones phone went off, or a kid was crying, or something, it would've been annoying. But missing a line or two because the audience is into it? That's part of what made seeing Avengers in theaters such a blast.

• Like 5

Fun novelty watch - but many moments where I was questioning whether what was happening was actually good or if the novelty of Alfred Molina Doc Ock etc showing up in a Holland Spidey movie was doing a lot of heavy lifting in scenes that are really just functional. They really want you to know the logistics of how this adds up with other movies, and they really want you to have seem them before this one, because on its own it's a lot of "this happened to me once". I felt a looot of calculations the whole time. For some reason a very awkward immigration metaphor rears its ugly head in there in the midst of it all, and the film was in a war with itself to do right by that metaphor - but also service the novelty premise it wanted to have.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Cap said:

I will never get over that NO ONE at Marvel realized they needed to have Cap say “Avengers Assemble” louder cause maybe the screams would be too loud to hear it. I just giggle every time.

I recall missing a lot of lines in the original Avengers toward the end. Like Hulk's "Puny God"

• Like 1

As fun as it sounds to have all those old villains in the same movie, I'm not sure I'm a fan in principle of all the cross-over stealing from Sam Raimi's work (plus the Garfield version) to make this generic Spiderman trilogy more profitable. It's a cynical direction I hope don't become the norm with blockbusters, but the nostalgia factor will work, mind you. The movie will be a huge success and most likely the only decent one in this trilogy. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, TheBigYawn said:

As fun as it sounds to have all those old villains in the same movie, I'm not sure I'm a fan in principle of all the cross-over stealing from Sam Raimi's work (plus the Garfield version) to make this generic Spiderman trilogy more profitable. It's a cynical direction I hope don't become the norm with blockbusters, but the nostalgia factor will work, mind you. The movie will be a huge success and most likely the only decent one in this trilogy. 

The concept isn't totally new. It's not unlike Days of Future Past or even The Force Awakens. The whole multi-verse angle is just this film's version of time travel from DoFP. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

The concept isn't totally new. It's not unlike Days of Future Past or even The Force Awakens. The whole multi-verse angle is just this film's version of time travel from DoFP. 

It will probably work commercially and I might even find it fun. It's just that ethically I have some concerns about mixing different trilogies (in the case of Spiderman) meant to stand alone at the time they were made, helmed by different creative teams. We're talking about different visions unlike Lucas who sold the rights to Disney and by doing so more or less approved their continuation of the story.

But I don't doubt that the movie will benefit from relying on the prior success by the Sam Raimi movies, especially when Far from Home was extremely forgettable. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 1