TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

Great film! The dream scenes and lack of modernization for the films “moral code” will likely turn off some but aside from that, it’s a pretty simple and straight forward revenge flick. Definitely not the arthouse historical epic like Green Knight was. 

Conan the Barbarian in Viking times crossed with Hamlet. The protagonist Amleth was the actual inspiration for Shakespeare though, he just moved the H to the front ha. Easily my favourite Eggers film. 

Visually this film looks great but it’s the sound design that really wowed me. Needs to be seen in a theatre.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Great film! The dream scenes and lack of modernization for the films “moral code” will likely turn off some but aside from that, it’s a pretty simple and straight forward revenge flick. Definitely not the arthouse historical epic like Green Knight was. 

Conan the Barbarian in Viking times crossed with Hamlet. The protagonist Amleth was the actual inspiration for Shakespeare though, he just moved the H to the front ha. Easily my favourite Eggers film. 

Visually this film looks great but it’s the sound design that really wowed me. Needs to be seen in a theatre.

Thats sounds like i will love this film.

• Like 2

I can say I had a great experience with this movie. It was incredible!

The sound is glorious, the whole thing deserves to be watched in theaters.

I also think this movie is getting a bad CinemaScore (

Spoiler

Our "hero" says he wants to save someone, but ends up killing that someone. He also kills kids and simply allows women and children to be burned alive. So many people were angry at my theater, lol. Many walkouts

).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Hide contents

Our "hero" says he wants to save someone, but ends up killing that someone. He also kills kids and simply allows women and children to be burned alive. So many people were angry at my theater, lol. Many walkouts

).

Man that's lame (your audience, I mean)

• Like 1

Yeah everyone go see this movie.

I wanted to see a Viking movie directed by Robert Eggers which means i wanted a weird fucking Viking movie that is very metaphorical, hypnotic, brutal and WEIRD and i got that. This film is much more of a mythical epic rather than a historical film, which is why i can overlook the relatively flat characters. The cinematography is outstanding, as is the score and the editing.

Nicole Kidman gave the best performance imo, closely followed by Anya. Generally, i really appreciated how the film depicts Vikings as ... real Vikings. No romantizising here, this is some raw shit and the action scenes are great. Also its a morally extremely grey movie, which helped make the final act especially not too predictable.

This is more of an experience rather than a normal movie id say. The atmosphere and tone of the film interestingly reminded me much more of The Witch than the Lighthouse, which i was very okay with, because those horror vibes occassionnally felt right.

If i had to critizise something, the pacing was not perfect. Some scenes dragged on a bit too much and also, this movie is fucking WEIRD and while i really liked that overall, the weirdness was also sometimes a bit funny where i felt it wasnt supposed to be funny.

9/10, great movie, like i said, go see it. Also, the GA will hate this movie and it will not have good legs.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2022 at 10:32 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Reveal hidden contents

).

Wait does he really 

Spoiler

kill kids. Like young kids? In a violent manner? Like he personally kills multiple children and it's depicted on the screen??? 

If so then I don't think I can watch this :( Can someone who has seen it confirm this for me??? 

Edited by ban1o

28 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

WOM is not looking to good.

Look, I think almost anyone here could have predicted this.  The General Public can't tolerate movies like this as they are; I can't imagine what they would have thought of Eggers' first real edit of the film before the studio worked with him to re-fashion it!  

"I had a great version of this a year ago but you'll never see it."  😅 

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Wait does he really ...

If so then I don't think I can watch this :( 

The movie is not called "THE HERO."  It's called "THE NORTHMAN."  And the promos make no promises that he's the Icelandic Iron Man.  

8 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Wait does he really 

Reveal hidden contents

If so then I don't think I can watch this :( 

Spoiler

He only kills one kid by accident when his revenge scheme goes off the rails. There's also a bit in the first act where some of the vikings he's with locks whole families inside a building they then set on fire, but you don't see them die on-screen.

Edited by cookie

5 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The movie is not called "THE HERO."  It's called "THE NORTHMAN."  And the promos make no promises that he's the Icelandic Iron Man.  

look I don't care what it's called or if he is a good guy or not. I am just get triggered with violence and abuse towards children so I just wanted to confirm it. I was actually looking forward to this but if its true I'll probably skip it until I can fast forward those parts. 

Edited by ban1o

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

look I don't care what it's called or if he is a good guy or not. I am just get triggered with violence and abuse towards children so I just wanted to confirm it. I was actually looking forward to this but if its true I'll probably skip it until I can fast forward those parts. 

You don't want to get near this movie if those things are big factors for you.  But I don't know why you thought it wouldn't be a heavily violent film.  

5 minutes ago, cookie said:
  Hide contents

He only kills one kid by accident when his revenge scheme goes off the rails. There's also a bit in the first act where some of the vikings he's with locks kids with their parents in a building they then set on fire, but you don't see them die on-screen.

Thank you for answering my question!!!!! Ok so it's not as bad as I thought when I read Blaze Heatnix post. It should probably be okay..I might wait until my brother sees it just to confirm. 

Edited by ban1o

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

You don't want to get near this movie if those things are big factors for you.  But I don't know why you thought it wouldn't be a heavily violent film.  

Sorry I don't want to derail this thread any more but from the trailers I didn't get vibes that there were children characters really involved in the story.  (aside from protagonist as a kid). I'm okay if children die off screen but I get triggered by continued on screen violence towards kids. @cookie explained the scenes a bit more so I have a better picture of what it is. I'll get out of this thread now lol. 

Edited by ban1o

This movie goes soooo fucking hard. Best Egger and best Hollywood picture of the year. I found his last two films to be nihilistic but fun aesthetic exercises, but this is something geniunely engaging and at times beautiful. Clearly morally ambigious and even contradictory, but we need more movies like that. 

• Like 2