TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

The Northman is a Robert Egger’s film through and through. A thrilling tale of revenge mixed with a reverence to Viking mythology, lying somewhere between Gladiator and The Green Knight. Perhaps too strange and alienating for some as a number of moments elicited unintended laughter from the audience I saw it with tonight. 

Was just a little less action packed and big scale than the trailers made out. With a large chunk of the second act letting the action take a backseat and focusing instead on deception which was a welcome surprise as it allowed the film to feel more like Eggers smaller works. 

But make no mistake, Eggers absolutely proves himself as an action director, impeccably staged sequences often filmed to look like a single take are absolutely awe inspiring and brutal. Coupled with Eggers usual stylistic choices and the beautiful scenery, this is one of my favourite looking and sounding movies of the year. Sound design and score were top notch, really pulse pounding and actually stood out. 

The plot and characters are all relatively straightforward and simple with this being based on a tale as old as time. Kidman and Skarsgard were definitely the standouts, with Kidman bringing complexity to her character and Skarsgard absolutely disappearing into this beast like man with a little boy trapped inside. You do occasionally feel as though they are means to end, letting Eggers dive headfirst into Viking lore, relishing in the customs and culture. 

I mean this film was right up my alley, I thought it ruled. Go see it. They literally put the film on the dingiest screen in local my theatre with a huge scratch down the middle and dirt all over it and the film completely immersed me. 

I think the marketing succeeded somewhat. My showing was still only about 1/2 full but lots of dates and a few groups of lads coming to see a Viking action movie. Better than I expected and certainly more than The Last Duel ever got. 

Though two couples did leave before the third act and never came back. 

Anecdotal, but a bunch of my co-workers are scheduling us to watch this after work the Tuesday after release. And most of the people going either don't see movies or only go out for the big stuff. I know people loved complaining about the ad campaign here, but I think it was effective enough if it got a fair share of the normies.

• Like 1

The problem is Focus. I've said this months ago. This needed A24. They have a loyal brand for genre films (look at Green Knight, Everything Everywhere, Midsommar, etc). And Focus failed by not giving it a festival premiere. Maybe they were afraid of reviews at time after test screenings, but this needed months of buzz and hyped reviews. 

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The problem is Focus. I've said this months ago. This needed A24. They have a loyal brand for genre films (look at Green Knight, Everything Everywhere, Midsommar, etc). And Focus failed by not giving it a festival premiere. Maybe they were afraid of reviews at time after test screenings, but this needed months of buzz and hyped reviews. 

I think Focus got scared what happened to The Last Duel. It went to Venice and then the bad reactions came but later it became a well reviewed film. Basically the hype went down and the bo could not recover.

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

A24 struggles to open movies above 10M too so...