TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

Not surprising it's a money loser. It's a hard R rated movie directed by a director that usually doesn't make mainstream movies. 

Many people hated The Witch and many also hated The Lighthouse. If you put the "from the director of The Witch and The Lighthouse" line in the promotion, chances are you're not getting a ton of money.

That being said, I'm pretty much excited for the movie. Looks insanely great! So, what matters is the experience. 

23 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Looks terrible.

On the one hand it was very busy at the screening where I saw it. And the manager said that had been consistent all weekend.

On the other hand, this was presumably partially because there were only 2 showings per day, in comparison with Sonic and Beasts, which had very modest screenings but each had twelvety showings. 

Word of mouth is great. And rightly so because it is absolutely magnificent, best film I've seen this year or last. But it won't have any cut-through to people who aren't the sort of people who love this sort of thing. If someone didn't like the Witch, they wouldn't like this either. I went with a fairly standard theatregoer who was "Hoping it would be like Gladiator" (I curbed her expectations on that front) and didn't enjoy it at all.

9 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, for those who watched it, any thoughts on the CinemaScore?

The director usually makes movies not aimed at general audiences. So, what do you think?

I think it's too much of an Eggers film for general audiences to accept it wholeheartedly, lots of dreamlike imagery and dives headfirst into Viking lore. The second act does slow things down, I had a couple of walkouts in my screening. But at the same time it's action packed the rest of the time, the plot and characters are straightforward, ending is satisfying. 

I will optimistically say a B, it's hard to judge these things. I don't think it asks much more from an audience than Dune which got an A- but I suspect the audience going to see The Northman are expecting something closer to Gladiator which will let them down somewhat. 

Edited by FilmFincher