sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

• Founder / Operator
43 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Unless there's something that has slipped my memory, I believe this weekend will mark the first full November weekend (i.e. not Halloween falling on a Friday) in 20 years where the #1 movie will make under $20 million. Yikes!

Psst... https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-estimates-doctor-sleep-midway-last-christmas-playing-with-fire/  😉

(Just wish we had seen it coming sooner...) 😆

😕

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Unless there's something that has slipped my memory, I believe this weekend will mark the first full November weekend (i.e. not Halloween falling on a Friday) in 20 years where the #1 movie will make under $20 million. Yikes!

Well that's depressing. More proof of the changing movie landscape. 

• Sad 1

Just got home from Doctor Sleep.  I thought it was pretty good.  Aside from the person next to me texting for 85% of the movie, snoring for about 5% of it and disappearing for about 5%.  I hope he felt the 5% of the film he watched was worth the price.

Why is it always the people that always show up last that tend to be the worst of the crowd? 

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

Just got home from Doctor Sleep.  I thought it was pretty good.  Aside from the person next to me texting for 85% of the movie, snoring for about 5% of it and disappearing for about 5%.  I hope he felt the 5% of the film he watched was worth the price.

Why is it always the people that always show up last that tend to be the worst of the crowd? 

Like, why even bother going to a movie? I cant imagine how annoyed you must have been.

• Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

Like, why even bother going to a movie? I cant imagine how annoyed you must have been.

It's one of the reasons I sometimes do not like reserved seating. Because you're locked into a seat if somebody like that shows up next to you and there's nothing you can do.

But yes early on I was not so quietly flipping out. I got past it for a while but when you knew it was getting near the end or the climax, it was starting to aggravate me again

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

In a year with some pretty bad flops, Doctor Sleep might be the most embarrassing of them all. There's no reason it should be making this little :hahaha: 

Probably more then one reason why Sleep flopped.

Not sure it's the most embarassing. I would say that the Dark Twins...Phoenix and Fate..were more of an embrassment since they were part of very sucessful franchises,and Sleep was a sequel to a 40 year old movie.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

In a year with some pretty bad flops, Doctor Sleep might be the most embarrassing of them all. There's no reason it should be making this little :hahaha: 

Struggling to match IT1's thursday previews of 13.5m over the ow.

Child's Play had 14m ow, 29 dom earlier this year. Prod budget only 10m though and did 45m ww.

HDD2U opened worse with 13m over a 5-day ow and 28m dom but the prod budget was only 9m. Did 64m ww on that.

La Llorona (9m budget) and Pet Sematary (21m budget) both did very well.

DrS has a higher prod budget than all of these at mid-50s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alli said:

I don't think it's necessarly true about smith. he wanted to do Django, but he didn't agree with the character motivations. Proof he cares about the story, not always about money

Waltz, DiCaprio and SLJ all had more interesting roles when Django was the title character, I get Will's logic in passing on it, especially considering his general approach to movies at the time.

Anyone else been to a Regal recently and had to buy tickets at the concession counter? If the theater is dead it's not a big deal, but when there is an even decent crowd, it's a mess. "Luckily" there were 24 minutes of trailers, so we didn't miss any of the movie. If this is some backdoor way to drive people to Unlimited, yeah no.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

Fewer votes than usual the last month or so in the Most Anticipated Movies thread. I suppose that means if you vote, your choices will carry a bigger proportionate weight.

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/667-box-office-theorys-most-anticipated-films/page/385/#comments

All you have to do is list your top ten movies that are coming out over the next 365 days. (Somebody has already voted for Eternals as soon as it was eligible. Obviously a big Gemma Chan fan!)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Waltz, DiCaprio and SLJ all had more interesting roles when Django was the title character, I get Will's logic in passing on it, especially considering his general approach to movies at the time.

Anyone else been to a Regal recently and had to buy tickets at the concession counter? If the theater is dead it's not a big deal, but when there is an even decent crowd, it's a mess. "Luckily" there were 24 minutes of trailers, so we didn't miss any of the movie. If this is some backdoor way to drive people to Unlimited, yeah no.

I've had this happen at my Regal a couple times, but it's only when the theater is totally dead. Never when it's crowded

16 minutes ago, Eric Torrance said:

I've had this happen at my Regal a couple times, but it's only when the theater is totally dead. Never when it's crowded

Only half the concession lines were open, and the lobby had no kiosks either. None of the openers are huge but there are four of them, plus holdovers, so it was more of a crowd than I expected. 

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

WB's marketing department got a reputation from the Zack Snyder era DC films (Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman) getting huge buzz and opening weekends, once he was gone it all came tumbling down, what a coincidence.

yes he left after he did his damage

• Haha 2