Eric is Quiet

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Including Fantastic beasts HP franchise is at NINE BILLION. Without them 8 films made nearly 8 billion. That's damn near impossible to replicate. Adjusted the figures are insane. 

Hell mightas well say LOTR isn't dominant too. Europe obviously hated that (sarcasm).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b995abaf8594ce09c9

Yet even with a 20 plus film build up it still wasn’t as big domestically as A New Hope, The Force Awakens, The Empire Strikes Back. Did about the same as Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. 

Although I’m really concerned we’re going to get into my team is better than your team territory AGAIN with Marvel vs Star Wars so please can we not? 
When the MCU is still as big as it is now in 40 years we can have an actual conversation about it via projection through the force. 

You see Avengers is not just a domestic bully. 

It's a WORLDWIDE phenomenon. 

the other franchise, well let it have domestic market. The KING RULES THE WORLD.

And before you talk about FA vs IW, well domestic did made a difference, but you see, nostalgia gives you so much.

Infinity War was followed by EndGame and FA is followed by TLJ, TROS.

Once nostalgia wears off, it's over.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Get. Real. The acting was fantastic and some dialogue was very funny, it wasn’t a bad movie, but it’s like watching paint dry compared to Rise of Skywalker and doesn’t hold a candle to Star Wars. To say otherwise just makes you look like a clown. It was the worst movie nominated for a Golden Globe in either major category. 

Rise of Skywalker kicks ass! An amazing end to the saga and infinitely rewatchable. 

I found 2 Popes much more entertaining.  Was engaged from start to finish and it wasn’t straight exposition.  The film is actually structured!

• Like 2

Harry Potter is THE franchise for me. One of the 1st Hollywood movies I ever saw. I was obsessed with the the Wizarding world as a child. It was huge even people who didn't watch Hollywood movies have saw it. 

The First Twilight movie is fine haven't seen others. Never understood the hate it received.

• Like 4

I can't wait to see how everything holds over the Christmas holiday. Stars Wars, Jumanji, and Frozen should, theoretically, have strong holiday holds, as a lot of the general audience still want to see those movies and may not have had the chance yet. I'm really hoping that Little Women is a big success. I know films like Cats deserved it, but I don't like it when films are spectacular bombs, and I have a feeling Spies in Disguise might flop harder than some are expecting. In the meantime, here's to great platform openings for 1917 and Clemency, and to good, prosperous expansions for both Uncut Gems and A Hidden Life!

Edited by SLAM!

3 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

Now that $575mn is a possibility, do you think it's a really good number? I will consider it a win. Yeah, yeah I am not usually so easily impressed with high numbers, but considering the hate TLJ received from fanbase, $575mn is really great number. It's only $100mn less than a very well accepted Infinity War which broke opening weekend record.

That's a 3.25x multi. RO had the same release and did 3.4x after 155 ow. Looking at growth of previews, tri-quel finale vs. 'a star wars story'...I doubt if TROS goes over 3.15x (555) even optimistically. A surprisingly good/bad day this early could well get balanced out (Jum 1'st Monday seemed bad but weekend is close to 27)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

They should have got the eagles to drop him into Mount Doom. 

2 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

I think Avada Kedavara is more effective than Gun.

Besides, a possible explanation is that I read somewhere that wizards have higher physical strength like road accidents, falling from broomstick doesn't kill them. I will say that if you can survive dropping from around 100m height, you can survive or make gun ineffective.

My simple understanding is that Ministry of Magic has well planned for attacks from ahem..Nomag people.

Then there's always

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Harry Potter is THE franchise for me. One of the 1st Hollywood movies I ever saw. I was obsessed with the the Wizarding world as a child. It was huge even people who didn't watch Hollywood movies have saw it. 

The First Twilight movie is fine haven't seen others. Never understood the hate it received.

True. The Harry Potter franchise was also my generation when growing up. It was fun being fully invested with the characters and their journeys.

As for Twilight. Well, the hatred for that franchise was rather interesting. It’s kinda debatable which type of audience hated the Twilight-films the most. Either it be certain general audience who just aren’t into those type of films...or the pure Twilight-haters. Which might explain why some of those sequels just missed the $300M DOM (except for Eclipse) despite opening over $138-142M and being close. Maybe Twilight had a limited audience who normally aren’t into the books.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True. The Harry Potter franchise was also my generation when growing up. It was fun being fully invested with the characters and their journeys.

As for Twilight. Well, the hatred for that franchise was rather interesting. It’s kinda debatable which type of audience hated the Twilight-films the most. Either it be certain general audience who just aren’t into those type of films...or the pure Twilight-haters. Which might explain why some of those sequels just missed the $300M DOM (except for Eclipse) despite opening over $138-142M and being close. Maybe Twilight had a limited audience who normally aren’t into the books.

Well we haven't had a good Twilight discussion in about 3 or 4 years lol. Twilight had a huge fan base but it just didn't find the casual fan. But they were ridiculously consistent at the box office. Every sequel opened huge and they all did incredibly well internationally and in terms of consistency probably even more than Harry Potter Twilight was that franchise.

Speaking of Harry Potter-franchise....in terms of just the 8 films (excluding FB), all of them seems to have a certainly consistant RT-score from critics.

Sorcerer’s Stone = 81%

Chamber of Secrets = 83%

Prisoner of Azkaban = 90%

Goblet of Fire = 88%

Order of the Phoenix = 78%

Half-Blood Prince = 83%

Deathly Hallows: Part 1 = 77%

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 = 96%

So in the eyes of the critics...there’s never such a thing as a bad Harry Potter-film.

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yet even with a 20 plus film build up it still wasn’t as big domestically as A New Hope, The Force Awakens, The Empire Strikes Back. Did about the same as Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. 

You're acting like a 20 film build up entitles the film to a big box office run? 20+ movies in 10 years is as much a liability as it is a plus. EG made that much DESPITE releasing so many films in such a short time period. I dont think any franchise can make so many movies and maintain interest. Part of TFA's huge box office was the years long wait, as we've seen the SW can't support the same frequency of movies released...

Also I don't think anyone is disputing that SW is domestic box office royalty. Four decades of nostalgia is a powerful thing, the MCU built its audience without similar levels of intergenerational nostalgia

Lastly, I dont think we'll see a movie pull inflation adjusted numbers of A New Hope. The changing topography of cinema has all but ensured that (more competing mediums, fewer repeat viewings)

I want to finish with this. The MCU is more of a worldwide phenom precisely because it struck a chord in the zeitgeist in current time, whereas SW did it 40 years ago (hence the majority of its audience residing in mature markets). Again, no one is disputing SW drawing power, and I think people need to remember SW is much more than just these current films, the diminishing returns at the box office matter much less than people believe given the franchise's power as a multimedia franchise (merch, video games, books, rides (more successful than people think= now tv series). SW will rise again, its staying power is indisputable, that's much more than can be said about many one off box office surprises, which is why the success of this single film (TROS) cant be compared to other more recent hits (MCU is comfortably in another category given the level and consistency of its success over 11 years)

• Like 1

Both HP and esp. twilight are pure shit. If we start counting 8 or 10 or whatever movies, obviously the avengers kill everything, Star Wars and LOTR is up there, BATMAN could be counted too ,James Bond is the biggest phenomenon ever going strong for 50 years  and so on and so on.

• Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

you know that something is wrong when people are talking about harry potter and mcu, instead of the movie this thread suppose to be about...............

Then I guess there's something wrong with every franchise because all of the respective threads end up drifting in and out of discussions about other franchises.