Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

14 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I don't get how Harry Potter was so popular. Why didn't they just shoot Voldemort?

Because it was great. Awesome world, endearing characters and every book and film felt different and simply magic on its own. Growing up with Harry Potter i will be forever gratefull vor.

24 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Now that $575mn is a possibility, do you think it's a really good number? I will consider it a win. Yeah, yeah I am not usually so easily impressed with high numbers, but considering the hate TLJ received from fanbase, $575mn is really great number. It's only $100mn less than a very well accepted Infinity War which broke opening weekend record.

Considering the Opening, 575M would be a monetary success. But for me personally the bar for success was always atleast matching Last Jedi. So 575M imo would be a slight disappointment. Not a flop, not a failure, but just ... a bit disappointing.

• Like 4

I am back from my latest forum holiday, and to chip in about this weekend - people are being so negative about "below expectations", ok yeah maybe it dropped a little more than expected but get real, it was expected to drop significantly from TLJ following the highly negative reception to that film.

• Like 2

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

But most of them didn't know about it. Then again, if it takes him like 10 years and that entire mumbo jumbo from HP4 to come back fully, it's worth gunning him down once every 10 years, just to make sure.

Electronics don't work in the wizarding world, they go haywire. So a gun wouldn't work.

9 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Even with the possibility of a huge second-weekend drop?

Why are you expecting this? RoS has a different release pattern than TLJ. It's not going to happen. Christmas Eve was TLJ's second Sunday, Christmas Day its second Monday. That threw off the second weekend's number. It still did manage 100M over the 4 day though.

But, as of now, there's no reason to expect the same for RoS.

• Like 3

Can't wait for Harry Potter 8 where it is revealed Harry almost kills hermione and rons son because he sees him becoming as powerful as voldy in a vision. This leads to ron and hermiones son actually becoming evil. Harry then goes into exile and vanishes until a youth wants to bring back the boy who lived to spark hope in the fight against the new dark lord

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Because of his Horcrux.

A horcrux does not make you invincible, it should be obvious. It just makes possible to come back. Voldemort lost his physical body when he tried to kill Harry for the first time and the curse backfired.

So yes, Voldemort could be fatally wounded by a gun. Not that it would be a more effective way to get him than a simple killing curse.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, misafeco said:

A horcrux does not make you invincible, it should be obvious. It just makes possible to come back. Voldemort lost his physical body when he tried to kill Harry for the first time and the curse backfired.

So yes, Voldemort could be fatally wounded by a gun. Not that it would be a more effective way to get him than a simple killing curse.

You're right, as Dumbledore did state to Harry that even without his various Horcrux that Voldemort is still an incredibly powerful Wizard and it would take an incredibly gifted being to even stand toe-to-toe with him. No one really thwarted Voldemort in a duel, apart from Albus during Order of the Phoenix, of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Can't wait for Harry Potter 8 where it is revealed Harry almost kills hermione and rons son because he sees him becoming as powerful as voldy in a vision. This leads to ron and hermiones son actually becoming evil. Harry then goes into exile and vanishes until a youth wants to bring back the boy who lived to spark hope in the fight against the new dark lord

Harry is jobless deadbeat because he's mentally stuck in his high school glory days, while Ron and Hermoine are going trough a tough wizard divorce and haven't spoken to each other in two years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Considering the Opening, 575M would be a monetary success. But for me personally the bar for success was always atleast matching Last Jedi. So 575M imo would be a slight disappointment. Not a flop, not a failure, but just ... a bit disappointing.

This. $575m is objectively a success in terms of absolute numbers. The problem is to put that amount into the SW context. The conclusion of Skywalker saga is finishing closer to a spin-off like Rogue One than to the previous chapter.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Well EndGame was the finale of what could be one of the greatest combined storytelling seen in Hollywood, with over 22 movies and 11 years and people being emotionally attached to it. 

TROS is well..... Some movie franchise which USED to be biggest, now it's not, now it's just a popular enough franchise running on the fumes of past glory.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b995abaf8594ce09c9

Yet even with a 20 plus film build up it still wasn’t as big domestically as A New Hope, The Force Awakens, The Empire Strikes Back. Did about the same as Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. 

Although I’m really concerned we’re going to get into my team is better than your team territory AGAIN with Marvel vs Star Wars so please can we not? 
When the MCU is still as big as it is now in 40 years we can have an actual conversation about it via projection through the force. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b995abaf8594ce09c9

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 2

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

How was Potter not dominant? What a fucking ridiculous and totally wrong statement. Potter was and still remains one of the most popular franchises ever. At the time, it absolutely was the most dominant film series. I live in London and I can tell you Potter is still insanely popular, you can’t get tickets for the Cursed Child in the West End even if you tried, and the WB HP tour is insanely busy all year round. Potter was the most consistent franchise when it comes to box office performance. 8 films, almost $8bn, and it still resonates hugely with kids, it’s not just a one generation wonder. Also, how would $1.6bn not be dominant? That would put it in the top 7 or 8 films ever. DH2 also made $60m in China, and was the 4th highest grosser of the year. It would have been huge today. 

Heretic is right. When DH2 was over I wasn’t convinced HP would be anywhere near as big a decade later.  It is though. 
Kids growing up with the books and films, passing them on to the next generation to devour. 

It is very much a generation’s Star Wars, just like the prequels. MCU obviously joins them. 

34 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

I've seen Harry...

kill wizlings.

1 hour ago, LaughingEvans said:

I don't get how Harry Potter was so popular. Why didn't they just shoot Voldemort?

I think Avada Kedavara is more effective than Gun.

Besides, a possible explanation is that I read somewhere that wizards have higher physical strength like road accidents, falling from broomstick doesn't kill them. I will say that if you can survive dropping from around 100m height, you can survive or make gun ineffective.

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

When DH2 was over I wasn’t convinced HP would be anywhere near as big a decade later.  It is though. 

I watched HP films first time in 2013. They are the reason I am watching Bollywood films I must say.

Also it was Twilight after that:ph34r:, (the first and last one were good)

• Like 1

The Saturday to Sunday drop is pretty nice. People know they’ve all week to get round to seeing it. TLJ opening a whole week before isn’t insignificant - but we won’t really know for sure how the movie is playing until Thursday’s numbers I would say. 

someone put $575 million as a forecast earlier. I would take that right now! 😂

• Like 1