Eric Prime

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Smaug was the last comparable blockbuster that played out over the same days in 2013 where Christmas fell on a Wednesday. 

If it comes in at around $30 million Monday and you follow Hobbit 2’s drops through Xmas 2013 then you get close to $500 million by the end of the first weekend of January. 
I tend to think Jumanji is going to be decent competition for it, but if the Monday number is around what’s being hinted...things at least look fairly promising. 

5 hours ago, doublejack said:

Campea sucks. He's the absolute worst "critic". He's really just a SW / DC fanboi with predetermined opinions. He's incapable of being objective.

Joe Vargas is brutally honest about TRoS:

AS a nostalgia Critic fan I have my own beef with vargas

Weekend Domestic Chart for December 20, 2019

← Previous Chart Chart Index  
Our box office charts are compiled from data provided to us by distributors. To be included on our charts, please send reports to bodata@the-numbers.com.
  • Like 1

I wanna go to TFA's opening weekend and tell everyone here that in a few years an Avengers film would make TWICE as much on OW as Episode IX. Lordy the carnage that would ensue. In fact, I'm almost certain I remember posting something along the lines that weekend of IX standing a good chance to be our first 300m opener lmao. Really emphasizes what a fall from grace this whole trilogy was, perhaps the biggest ever in terms of the untapped box office potential left on the table for IX from its 2015 prospects.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My cheap-o must totally have the Xmas thing nailed down.  Just like when they got Coco for Xmas, somehow, they are getting Frozen 2 for Xmas this year.  Damn...now I have to decide if it's $2 Tuesday on NYE for Frozen 2...or if it's using the Atom deal for something 1st run not named Jumanji and TROS (since both will be seen already:)...

Very interesting that Disney let them have it so early...maybe they had original doubts about the strengths of both Frozen 2 and TROS's runs (ala, they thought one would swap for the other)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wanna go to TFA's opening weekend and tell everyone here that in a few years an Avengers film would make TWICE as much on OW as Episode IX. Lordy the carnage that would ensue. In fact, I'm almost certain I remember posting something along the lines that weekend of IX standing a good chance to be our first 300m opener lmao. Really emphasizes what a fall from grace this whole trilogy was, perhaps one of the biggest ever in terms of the untapped box office potential left on the table for IX from a 2015 perspective. 

I could not agree more. I think it is easy for some to get caught up in the admittedly big numbers that TLJ and TRoS have put up / are putting up. However, the potential was there for so much more. What would everyone have thought or said if EG opened up between IM3 and CA:CW? It would have been brutal. All that buildup, for what?

There's no way to spin this, the pooch has been screwed. Blame whoever you want... this Star Wars trilogy is going out with a whimper, not a bang. 

• Like 4

I keep seeing posts about if Harry Potter had this market or was released today more of its movies would reach $1B at the box office. HP doesn’t even need any of its films to reach $1B at the box office. All of the films did over $800M....over a decade ago with one almost being 2 decades ago.

There’s no need to try and make its numbers better than they are to appease a certain troll.   It’s an extremely successful franchise with the numbers it has as they are. If $1B for a movie is suddenly the standard as to whether a franchise movie is huge/successful than the majority of franchise films are failures. Which we all know isn’t the case. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I could not agree more. I think it is easy for some to get caught up in the admittedly big numbers that TLJ and TRoS have put up / are putting up. However, the potential was there for so much more. What would everyone have thought or said if EG opened up between IM3 and CA:CW? It would have been brutal. All that buildup, for what?

There's no way to spin this, the pooch has been screwed. Blame whoever you want... this Star Wars trilogy is going out with a whimper, not a bang. 

Marvel Marvel Marvel. 

let’s compare everything with the MCU. 

Not look at how previous Star Wars trilogies have performed. Just an excuse to talk about how amazing the MCU has done and Star Wars can’t compare. 

Wasn’t the potential there for ROTJ to outgross ANH? For ROTS to outgross TPM. Didn’t happen did it. 

But no....let’s ignore all of that and talk about those Avengers some more. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wanna go to TFA's opening weekend and tell everyone here that in a few years an Avengers film would make TWICE as much on OW as Episode IX. Lordy the carnage that would ensue. In fact, I'm almost certain I remember posting something along the lines that weekend of IX standing a good chance to be our first 300m opener lmao. Really emphasizes what a fall from grace this whole trilogy was, perhaps the biggest ever in terms of the untapped box office potential left on the table for IX from its 2015 prospects.

Shhh I made a similar post regarding a $300M OW for Star Wars. It’s all been down hill since then :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:05 AM, Arendelle Legion said:

Rogue One opened at 12th on OW charts. Modern equivalent is to beat BATB at 174.75. That will be my bar for utter disaster, and it looks like it could be a close call.

Final verdict: Ties RO at 12th

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Marvel Marvel Marvel. 

Not look at how previous Star Wars trilogies have performed. Just an excuse to talk about how amazing the MCU has done and Star Wars can’t compare. 

Wasn’t the potential there for ROTJ to outgross ANH? For ROTS to outgross TPM. Didn’t happen did it. 

180 for the big finale of star wars is dissapointing though, there is no excuse, its not a failure or a disaster , but it is dissapointing 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nova said:

I keep seeing posts about if Harry Potter had this market or was released today more of its movies would reach $1B at the box office. HP doesn’t even need any of its films to reach $1B at the box office. All of the films did over $800M....over a decade ago with one almost being 2 decades ago.

There’s no need to try and make its numbers better than they are to appease a certain troll.   It’s an extremely successful franchise with the numbers it has as they are. If $1B for a movie is suddenly the standard as to whether a franchise movie is huge/successful than the majority of franchise films are failures. Which we all know isn’t the case. 

Doing 1B in 2019 conditions is a pretty mild/generous bar for something being a big hit, don’t see why we wouldn’t use it.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Infinity War Saga is the saga that dominated this decade, not the new Star Wars saga. 

At least Force Awakens still has that domestic record. 

I think they’ve both did well. Star Wars will always be Star Wars though. 

16 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Marvel Marvel Marvel. 

I didn't draw the initial analogy, I was building on what MovieMan89 said.

Let's look at another popular trilogy that did not meet expectations - The Hobbit. That trilogy followed the exact same trajectory as this one. AUJ > TDoS > TBotFA. That held for the OW numbers as well as the final gross. TBotFA was the lowest rated of the tree. The films made money, but when we look at the LotR trilogy we know they could have done better. The reception was not there.

You can keep spinning, but this is the first SW trilogy where the third installment performs the weakest in its story arc. That says something. Whether you choose to acknowledge it is up to you.

• Like 4