Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

3 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I don't think a catalog of characters is all that important.  People will get behind new characters if you let them grow organically.  Most of the MCU consists of characters that casual audiences might have known the names of, at best, prior to seeing them on the big screen.  The list of characters from Marvel and DC that were previously household names is pretty short.

I guess but Joker and Aquaman were definitely known characters whose fame started those movies on the front foot 

45 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

People need to get over this 1B=success mentality. It’s outdated.

How am I supposed to judge a movie's success then, by its praise comment/review-detraction comment/review ratio? Can't really do that with Star Wars because I'd lose my mind.

I get that ROS is going to make less than Force Awakens, and will likely make less or be slightly on par with Last Jedi, but a billion is still a gargantuan number and adds one more billion to Disney's massive year. That and Disney struck gold with Mandalorian and Star Wars may have its second wind through the Disney Plus service doesn't really make me worried.

Star Wars will never die. It may trip and fall on its face and people may clamor around and point and jeer, but it'll get right back up and keep going.

Spoiler

That being said, I'm glad Lion King and Frozen 2 will likely both outgross it globally.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 3

If the Disney+ Star Wars shows continue to have critical acclaim and are widely loved by the audiences I see no reason why the brand would be permanently tarnished or other ideas that are being tossed around.  

Couple years down the road someone with fresh ideas can step in and make an interesting and well received SW film. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

How am I supposed to judge a movie's success then, by its praise comment/review-detraction comment/review ratio? Can't really do that with Star Wars because I'd lose my mind.

Primarily by its numbers of course. I’m just pointing out that those numbers being 1B no longer guarantee’s it was a success.

• ...wtf 1

MODERATION:

We are starting to stray slightly off topic and into Fandom Wars.  Please search your feelings before hitting the SUBMIT button: Post this, do I really need to? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

F2 $480M final? 

That's my hunch, maybe a bit stronger.

High 4s tomorrow gives 426.7 after the weekend. Eyeing how Ralph Breaks the Internet behaved last year (i.e. mid week New Years and post holiday sequel legs):

15 weekdays -> 441

12 FSS -> 453 

453 + 12*3 = 489

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxRox said:

That's my hunch, maybe a bit stronger.

High 4s tomorrow gives 426.7 after the weekend. Eyeing how Ralph Breaks the Internet behaved last year (i.e. mid week New Years and post holiday sequel legs):

15 weekdays -> 441

12 FSS -> 453 

453 + 12*3 = 489

Can that 3 multiplier be higher?

I am a fan of Abrams as a filmmaker and even I don't like Rise of Skywalker. I am convinced that Abrams alone is not responsible for it. It screams scared studio nonsense like Justice League. Which was not a Whedon movie but a studio movie in which Whedon was a hired hand but I digress. The point is The Rise of Skywalker is almost prequel level bad but is saved by having much better acting and not obvious green screen backgrounds. It's just barely below Rogue One in my estimation. I am not crying any tears over its under performance.