filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Haven't seen Little Women yet so can't comment on it but Heller should've been a nominee. She made what seems like a pretty generic script with a bland story an incredibly meditiative experience. Hard to see a director do something like that.

Nah. The NY Post said the movie is bad. 

Joker getting nominated for a whole bunch of stuff isn't nearly as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody getting a ridiculous number of nominations (it also gets bonus points for the fact it wasn't made by Bryan Singer). Speaking of which, did Bohemian Rhapsody really come out just last year? Feels like it's been five years since that movie was released.

• ...wtf 1

If Jojo Rabbit wins, should we consider it to be this year’s Green Book? All I know is that I don’t want a Disney movie to take home the Best Picture award. 

Also, I really don’t think The Rise of Skywalker should’ve been nominated for Best Original Score, but it is a John Williams score, and the previous two movies in the trilogy were nominated, so I guess they wanted to have a trifecta. 

29 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

American FilmTwitter laments its irrelevance.

yep, them and Americna critics really tried to sink Joker and failed. it ended up with 11 nominations, including 5 above the line (Picture, Director, Actor, Adapted, Editing) unlike Film twitter's champion Black panther that only snagged filler Picture and some techs, no other major nominations. The difference between real industry love and "oh, well, we'll nominate it if you insist but we draw the line beyond that". 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

If Jojo Rabbit wins, should we consider it to be this year’s Green Book? All I know is that I don’t want a Disney movie to take home the Best Picture award. 

Also, I really don’t think The Rise of Skywalker should’ve been nominated for Best Original Score, but it is a John Williams score, and the previous two movies in the trilogy were nominated, so I guess they wanted to have a trifecta. 

Jojo Rabbit is more likely to go home empty-handed than win Best Picture so we don't have that to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Haters said Joker will encourage gun violence,  > no incident so far

Haters said Joker will flop because of its non-conventional style >  Joker opened to US243m

Haters said Joker will have bad legs  >  it got more than 4x legs all the way to 1b

Haters said joker will not be doing good at award season > Venice win, Oscar 11 nomination. 

I have never seen such a complete failure from haters since.........

They almost achieved none.  

:bravo:

Happy for Parasite (a supporting nom would have been great tho): best picture winner in the making ?

Happy for Banderas (best performance of the year imo; although still disappointed that Pain and Glory was never part of the conversation for Picture and Director, it's really a wonderful film)

Happy that J.Lo is out (c'mon she's no actress) and that they didn't cave to pressure concerning Gerwig and Awkwafina.

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have no idea what you think Jojo Rabbit and Green Book have in common.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jojo Rabbit is more likely to go home empty-handed than win Best Picture so we don't have that to worry about.

I don't know about that. I can see it winning BP honestly. Acting nom+surprise editing nom helps it quite a bit imo. Its missing Director nom but a DGA director nom is way more important for a Best Picture win which he got.

NOMINATIONS BY FILM

Joker (Warner Bros.) – 11
The Irishman (Netflix) – 10
“1917 (Universal/Amblin Partners) – 10
Once upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony Pictures Releasing) – 10
Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight) – 6
Little Women (Sony Pictures Releasing) – 6
Marriage Story (Netflix) – 6
Parasite (Neon) – 6
Ford v Ferrari (Disney) – 4

Bombshell (Lionsgate) – 3
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Disney) – 3
The Two Popes (Netflix) – 3
Harriet (Focus Features) – 2

Honeyland (Neon) 2
Judy (LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions) – 2
Pain and Glory (Sony Pictures Classics) – 2
Toy Story 4 (Disney) – 2

Edited by The Futurist

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ranking:

1. 1917
  2. Jojo Rabbit (probably a bit of the hot take and it's actually the worst nominee here imo but I think editing nom and Scar Jo nom helps it)
  3. OUATIH (no editing nom even though it didn't use the one-shot gimmick hurts it)
  4. Parasite
  5. The Irishman
  6. Joker
  7. Marriage Story
  8. Little Women
  9. FvF

Id go

1. Parasite

2. Little Women

3. OUATIH

4. 1917

5. The Irishman

6. Ford v Ferrari

7. Marriage Story

8. Jojo Rabbit

(insert more white space here)

9. Joker

(unless you weren’t ranking by personal preference)

Edited by The Panda

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know about that. I can see it winning BP honestly. Acting nom+surprise editing nom helps it quite a bit imo. Its missing Director nom but a DGA director nom is way more important for a Best Picture win which he got.

Maybe, but I really can't see it winning Best Picture and picking up nothing else. Green Book had acting and screenplay wins to back it up.