filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

54 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

God I love Issa

Clearly shows why the oscars have so many issues over the past few years. 

They have to balance actually nominating and awarding skills that are good technically as a 'film' and then placate a certain part of the audience who only looks at these awards through an identartarian lens. 

The issue is a lot of their audience in these times for the oscars are people who look at the awards in that way, so I think they should change as the oscars have becoming increasingly irrelevant to the wider mass audience. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

the editing snub for OUATIH is the most shocking for me, but I feel like as long as Hollywood wins the PGA next week (which also uses the same preferential ballot system as the best picture Oscar) its best picture chances will be fine. 

It's weird I have the feeling that OUATIH could very well leave empty-handed save for Pitt.

I suspect Parasite, 1917 and Joker are the most likely winners for Best Picture & Director.

I see something like

Parasite BP/ Mendes BD

Or

Joker BP / Bong BD

Or

Joker BP&BD

My boy, Adam Sandler, and Uncut Gems snubbed big time. 

The complete mediocrities that make up Hollywood award show voters and critics absolutely disgusts me. 

Even worse, dumb movies like The Joker, Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, Ford v Ferrari, 1917 were selected instead. 

Also don't know if this has been mentioned already (probably has) but this is looking to be the most hit-heavy Best Picture line-up in a while? 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Joker, Little Women, and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood all either have or will make over $100M totals. Good for ratings, I guess.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Also don't know if this has been mentioned already (probably has) but this is looking to be the most hit-heavy Best Picture line-up in a while? 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Joker, Little Women, and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood all either have or will make over $100M totals. Good for ratings, I guess.

Last year and this year's set of Best Picture nominees have made that Popular Film idea look even worse in hindsight.

4 hours ago, Cap said:

Johansson has to sit there and hear someone else’s name called twice. That will make me very happy.

She's just the 12th performer in history to get double Oscar acting nominations in the same year, while she's the highest paid actress of the last few years... yeah, what a loser.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Is politics getting in the way of assessing which films are actually good?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/13/little-women-joker-stop-seeing-important-mediocre-films

Is this supposed to be a joke ?

Do critics evaluate movies with any other standard ?

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Is politics getting in the way of assessing which films are actually good?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/13/little-women-joker-stop-seeing-important-mediocre-films

I really hate it when the writers of these kinds of articles try to pass of their opinions as the unquestionable truth. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

At least though the quality of this year's nominees is waaaaay better than last year. 

When people look back on this whole decade in the years to come I imagine the debate is gonna be between 2011 and 2018 as to which movie year had the worst Best Picture line-up overall with no other years in the running.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I really hate it when the writers of these kinds of articles try to pass of their opinions as the unquestionable truth. 

that's what spin doctors on the other side do as well. All sides do it.

Nobody questions why women don't show up for Rambo and Expendables. Not their kind of movie, move on. Same reason why men don't show up for Little Women and Pitch Perfect. Not their kind of movie. But some state their opinion, that disninterest is 100% sexist and nothing to do with taste, as a fact/unquestionable truth and this article points that out. yes, the article states their opinion on LW and some other movies as fact/truth thus committing the same crime but opinion = truth/fact exists on all sides. it's just that, depending whose side one is on, one is annoyed when the other side does it while glosses over their side transgression.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that's what spin doctors on the other side do as well. Nobody questions why women don't show up for Rambo and Expendables. Not their kind of movie, move on. same why men don't show up for Little Women and Pitch perfect. Not their kind of movie. But some state their opinion, that disninterest is 100% sexist and nothing to do with taste, as a fact/unquestionable truth and this article points that out. yes, the article states their opinion on LW and some other movies as fact/truth thus committing the same crime but opinion = truth/fact exists on all sides. it's just that, depending whose side one is on, one is annoyed when the other side does it while glossing over their side transgression.

The major issue i had with Little Women as I dont find the characters struggles to be really interesting and it does little to explore the time period of that time at all and the events. Something like Cold Mountain was much more interesting to me.

I was very interested in the film as I find that civil war america is a fascinating time period of history and something i have a lot of interest in. 

Its nothing about a film about women is never interesting to me XD 

Edited by Lordmandeep