Eric Prime

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

3 minutes ago, Claudio said:

“ What If Titanic just being released now??? It should have a lot more money than it did years ago! “
” What If Endgame was released 5 years ago??? It should have more than $3B !”

” What if Joker wasn’t rated R but. PG-13?? It would have attracted more audience thus making more money!! “

” What if Disney didn’t fuck up Aladdin trailer and marketing?? Should have beat BatB easy! “
” What If Snyder cut version of JL which was played in the cinema , not the whedon whatever!!! Sure it won’t be a complete disappointment. “

and now “ What if Frozen had greater reception and songs than it did??? Surely would add hundreds of millions more!”

see the pattern? 

you can make every pointless argument like that into every movie either it’s flop or highly successful. Even to the movie with phenomenal run more than you can imagine. Rather than saying “ what if “ and making some hypothetical bullshit about what movie should do in the first place ( which would be such a nonsense ), we just need to appreciate what kind of run the movie made and how much box office it grossed. If you kept telling and questioning about that , you couldn’t enjoy your life at all. Just sit and enjoy! Nothing more nothing less.

Why would you not ask those questions, they seem to be fun and thought provoking to think of. It's like thinking what variables would play a part in x and what are they in witch they could affect. Isn't that the fun of the boxoffice? For me personaly it's much more fun to guess how much a movie will make in the upcomming weak, looking at drop rates, historical data, periode, specific week, WoM then to just wait and get actuals.

I mean making projections is completely pointless because it won't change what a movie will make, we don't have to provide number to investers, we are just people on a forum so looking at it 'logicaly' it pure time waste, yet it's the most fun thing to do and the most enjoyable to read people write projections down and look how and why they think it will do/ how much it will drop week to week etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Frozen 2 had a fantastic run. I am 100% sure no one Disney is disappointed. They must already be planning for how to keep the brand alive. 

The movie that actually underperformed is Alaadin. It should have made atleast 300-400m more WW. Very poor marketing by Disney in China, India and many other important countries. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Frozen 2 had a fantastic run. I am 100% sure no one Disney is disappointed. They must already be planning for how to keep the brand alive. 

The movie that actually underperformed is Alaadin. It should have made atleast 300-400m more WW. Very poor marketing by Disney in China, India and many other important countries. 

troll post?

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

After 2019 i think we must learn how to manage expectations 

I’ve seen people pretending CM should do more than it did.

TS4 have the biggest debut of the franchise after an 9 year hiatus and people almost call it a disaster. Afterall the movie surpass the third one both DOM / WW and  still some people say the performance wasn’t that good.

TLK made almost 1.6B and some people legitimately say it’s a big disappointment. 

Now Frozen 2 become the biggest animation of all time, surpassed the first movie which is already giant in everything, is going to finish with almost 1.5B and people insist the numbers aren’t that good.

Even SW9, despite being a true disappointment, is treated by some like a complete disaster when it’s not.

And let’s not forget some people freaking out because EG didn’t make 3B.

$ 600M DOM and +1.6B doesn’t fall off trees, it’s time to stop expecting this mindblowing numbers for every big movie. 

Sounds like there's some kind of positive spin on Rise of Skywalker. Please remove it, this forum does not allow anything positive about that "movie"

Spoiler

kidding, excellent post btw

• ...wtf 1

the main problem is that in recent years this website has seen an influx of /r/boxoffice posters who are mentally not quite there, and think that $5 billion is an easy target and if you fail to get $200M opening weekend you're a flop. Some of the expectations on this forum have gotten absolutely ludicrous and a lot of the aforementioned zombie redditors have a distorted view of reality.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 3

15 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

It's a well loved and known IP but considering the quality it made far more than I thought it would.  If it had been somewhat near as good as the animated film then it would have made more.  Like The Lion King and Beauty & the Beast - it's hard to completely fuck up since the music and stories are so good but they all could and should have been better movies.  That's not marketing's fault.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Why would you not ask those questions, they seem to be fun and thought provoking to think of. It's like thinking what variables would play a part in x and what are they in witch they could affect. Isn't that the fun of the boxoffice? For me personaly it's much more fun to guess how much a movie will make in the upcomming weak, looking at drop rates, historical data, periode, specific week, WoM then to just wait and get actuals.

I mean making projections is completely pointless because it won't change what a movie will make, we don't have to provide number to investers, we are just people on a forum so looking at it 'logicaly' it pure time waste, yet it's the most fun thing to do and the most enjoyable to read people write projections down and look how and why they think it will do/ how much it will drop week to week etc.

Wouldn't even bother continue to responding to people, everyone is willfully misinterpreting what you and @Arendelle Legion have been saying. You guys are 100% correct, although I would note that sequels have an inherently higher bar in getting the kind of great reception that would have propelled F2 higher.

• Thanks 2

I'm curious to see where Frozen II ends up on the Alltime BluRay sales chart. The original is the best selling BluRay, period, but home media has also imploded so rapidly that the youngest movie in the top 20 is the first Deadpool. Will Frozen II break that dry spell and make the top 20, or is this becoming a fossilized list?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Rather than saying “ what if “ and making some hypothetical bullshit about what movie should do in the first place ( which would be such a nonsense ), we just need to appreciate what kind of run the movie made and how much box office it grossed.

May as well close this message board, it is all about bullshiting hypothetical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Sorry to highjack this thread with my own agenda, but as some of you know I am a massive horror fan.  I also write for a website called Top10films.  I worked a long time on doing the top ten horror films of the decade. I'd love it if some of you read it.  My opinions are usually much different than most people when it comes to horror.  No Hereditary or Conjuring etc on my top ten.  

https://www.top10films.co.uk/57174-top-10-horror-films-of-the-2010s/#comment-2044217

Great list. You actually highlighted a lot of horror movies I haven't seen yet, including shamefully Mandy, and The Invitation. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxRox said:

I'm curious to see where Frozen II ends up on the Alltime BluRay sales chart. The original is the best selling BluRay, period, but home media has also imploded so rapidly that the youngest movie in the top 20 is the first Deadpool. Will Frozen II break that dry spell and make the top 20, or is this becoming a fossilized list?

With D+ I would be astounded 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Avatree said:

the main problem is that in recent years this website has seen an influx of /r/boxoffice posters who are mentally not quite there, and think that $5 billion is an easy target and if you fail to get $200M opening weekend you're a flop. Some of the expectations on this forum have gotten absolutely ludicrous and a lot of the aforementioned zombie redditors have a distorted view of reality.

I agree with this statement 100%

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Menor said:

Wouldn't even bother continue to responding to people, everyone is willfully misinterpreting what you and @Arendelle Legion have been saying. You guys are 100% correct, although I would note that sequels have an inherently higher bar in getting the kind of great reception that would have propelled F2 higher.

not misinterpreting anything. asking how Frozen 2 would have made more money than it has done? I dont' think it would have made any more.

That's the thing with record breakers - because there is no other movies that are comparable, by definition of it being #1.

Frozen 2 DID have great reception, but it is a sequel.  Sequels and original films are different when the original became a genuine "phenomenon".  Frozen created a new amazing brand. Of course Frozen 2 cannot do the same because Frozen already exists. You can't create a phenomenon twice. So no it will not increase to $1.6b or whatever the Dumb Disney Delusionals predictions were for the film.

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

not misinterpreting anything. asking how Frozen 2 would have made more money than it has done? I dont' think it would have made any more.

That's the thing with record breakers - because there is no other movies that are comparable, by definition of it being #1.

Frozen 2 DID have great reception, but it is a sequel.  Sequels and original films are different when the original became a genuine "phenomenon".  Frozen created a new amazing brand. Of course Frozen 2 cannot do the same because Frozen already exists. You can't create a phenomenon twice. So no it will not increase to $1.6b or whatever the Dumb Disney Delusionals predictions were for the film.

Are you saying it had the best reception it could have had? Nobody is denying it has good, even very good reception but it's increase was more like GOTG2 to GOTG (GOTG2 also had good reception but not as great as the biggest breakout sequels). It isn't delusional to think that the increase could have been bigger if the reception had been better.

Also it is ridiculous to say that @Arendelle Legion and @pepsa as "zombie redditors who have a distorted view of reality". They both have a very good grasp of how F2 has performed in various markets. Maybe you should visit the international threads (especially the SK thread) sometime and see for yourself.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first Frozen had some top tier stamina in the past 10 years, took something like over 70 days IIRC to make 90% of its domestic gross. As a sequel, which are more frontloaded in general, it wasn't going to happen in exactly that way again. Frozen II has performed very well though post-opening when compared to some of the best of its contemporaries.

DBvw1Bb.png

CfS90tx.png

As far as the total box office goes, the movie benefited as well from 6 years of ticket price hikes, like Ralph Breaks the Internet did.

• Like 8

There's a major snowstorm in a lot of Canada.  Here in the GTA (Greater Toronto area) we are getting 20cm of snow.  The eastern provinces are snowed in.  I can only assume the north east US must be getting some of this too.

I wonder if this will subdue some of the Saturday increases.  

• Like 1