Eric S'ennui

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I saw Just Mercy and it is a good film but I can understand why it was overlooked in the awards season. 

It's essentially the On the Basis of Sex of 2019. Well-reviewed true story courtroom drama that made a couple of coins at the box office and went pretty much nowhere awards-wise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Those movies may have a lot of theaters in play but the number of showing each day is pretty minimal, that explain the low PTA, not due to the low occupancy rate.

Also, every movies deserve to be seen on big screen , as it should be. 

In this aspect, Disney do a great job and the best in preserving movie-going experience.   

I'm sorry, but I disagree completely as does the data itself. A $439 per theatre average for an entire weekend (Once Upon a Time) is not good, regardless of show count. 
Even if it only had one showing per day, per theatre (although many places had 2-3), that is still only $146 per showing.
At an ATP of $9, that is approx. 16 people per show.
So yes, it is due to a low occupancy rate any way you want to slice it. 

On the other hand, Jojo Rabbit and Parasite also had a limited number of showings in many theatres (I did an extensive search of this on Friday for AMC) and much higher averages. 

While I agree that movies are best seen on the big screen, when they have been out on DVD/Blu-Ray and Digital for months, it hardly makes sense to take 800+ theatres from current films to devote to something that is only going to draw 16 people per show.  Especially on such a busy movie going long weekend. Even Cats had an average of $683 per theatre for the weekend. I think that says it all...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

its early but Bad Boys aint dropping 38%. its gonna go up quite a bit. Of course fri/sat could get adjusted downwards with actuals and so one can never say where the weekend actual would be but 60m+ for shoo. 

Canada doesn't have MLK day so it will overindex at the 2 MTCs. But that shouldn't make a huge difference since Canada is such a low % anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I saw Just Mercy and it is a good film but I can understand why it was overlooked in the awards season. 

It made the fatal mistake of not solving racism. The true greats like Crash, Green Book and Blind Side know where their bread is buttered.

Seriously though I thought Rob Morgan had a great claim to a supporting actor nod, easily over Pacino, Hanks and Hopkins. Outstanding work. But, hey, famous people gonna famous.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

its early but Bad Boys aint dropping 38%. its gonna go up quite a bit. Of course fri/sat could get adjusted downwards with actuals and so one can never say where the weekend actual would be but 60m+ for shoo. 

I'm seeing the same thing here.

• Like 2

The sad truth is black movies over-perform in the USA and under-perform Overseas, but the over-perform in the USA isn't enough to cancel out the under-perform overseas, check box office mojo, you will see white movies make 65% of the box office overeas, and 35% of the box in America, black movies make 51% of the box office in America and 49% of the box offic overseas, studios try to off set this by giving black movies lower budgets, but they have to take a hit on the profits by doing this

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

The sad truth is black movies over-perform in the USA and under-perform Overseas, but the over-perform in the USA isn't enough to cancel out the under-perform overseas, check box office mojo, you will see white movies make 65% of the box office overeas, and 35% of the box in America, black movies make 51% of the box office in America and 49% of the box offic overseas, studios try to off set this by giving black movies lower budgets, but they have to take a hit on the profits by doing this

I know people here are very sensitive but this is actually true. 

If you give example of Black Panther then there are Captain Marvel and FFH which earned more overseas. 

Edited by Madhuvan

Do Chinese people complain that Wandering Earth made over 95% of its total revenue in China?  It's almost as if the United states has a different history and unique cultural baggage compared to other countries, and the hollywood blockbusters that make more than 50% overseas are the exceptions, while the ones that make half or less OS are really doing just fine.

Based on MTC I am seeing BB sunday at 18.25m !!!! if it over indexes as canada does not have a holiday, its looking at a YUGE increase from estimates. 

Dolittle seem to be on par with estimates. MTC1 is holding up better(17.5% drop) than MTC2 (22.5%). 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 8

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

I know people here are very sensitive but this is actually true. 

If you give example of Black Panther then there are Captain Marvel and FFH which earned more overseas. 

Black Panther earned more in the US due to drastic domestic overperformance. It performed astoundingly OS for a completely unknown property.

You might as well complain that American Sniper earned more in the US.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Black Panther earned more in the US due to drastic domestic overperformance. It performed astoundingly OS for a completely unknown property.

You might as well complain that American Sniper earned more in the US.

I mean, it peaked at 36th OS. Certainly there are plenty of movies that would love to match that — your Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, GotG type midrange movies. But of first entry CBMs released within the same year +-1, the OS performance was worse or on par with 3 (Venom, Captain Marvel, and Aquaman). I would hardly call it “astounding” overall.

2 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

You are completely ignoring the arguments that have been made back over this.

A Madea Family funderal made $73.3 Domestically. It was barely released worldwide. Is this becase it underperformed everywhere else or because nobody outside the US knows who Tyler Perry is, nor has any referent for Madea?

The Hate u Give made $30 Domestically and only another $5 Worldwide. Is this becase it underperformed everywhere else or because the novel was a US based novel that dealt exclusively with the police brutality situation in the US?

Girls trip made 100m dom and 40ish OS. Did it underperform everywhere else or was it rooted near entirely in US culture, performed by women more known to American audiences?

And of course these dynamics snowball. Again, universal movies are universal.

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I mean, it peaked at 36th OS. Certainly there are plenty of movies that would love to match that — your Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, GotG type midrange movies. But of first entry CBMs released within the same year +-1, the OS performance was worse or on par with 3 (Venom, Captain Marvel, and Aquaman). I would hardly call it “astounding” overall.

But it was a "midrange movie". That blew up masively in the US. 

Venom was a midrange movie that blew up nassively in China.

The other 2 were presented as huge epics. 

Doctor Strange is the one there that is the best comparison to how Black Panther was presented. And BP outgrossed it.

5 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

This is true but it's also a comedy thing. How many foreign comedies do well at the American box office?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, baumer said:

One example that didn't resonate with me was when the kid drives home, his sibling loses their head in that accident and then the kid drives home and leaves the corpse in the car until the next day.  I found this to be incredibly silly....and there were about 5 or maybe 7 instances in the movie with similar kind of logic.  

I don't really have a problem with people have a different opinion and stuff but I find this criticism really odd. I thought it made sense for a teenager in shock to do that (I mean he thinks he just killed his sister). I think you don't find it logical just because its something you wont do. Was it a logical decision? Not really. But when have teenager ever been logical (espescially one that brought his middle school sister to a high school party and let her eat something that would get her allergy starting up)? Most adults probably won't make a logical decision in the same position either.

Edited by lorddemaxus

@MCKillswitch123 monster opening for Bad Boys Forever. Will Smith DOMINATING the box office.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_16_a_19_janeiro_2020_87535e25a2a282f8b.pdf

Jumanji is now just 2.000 tickets below Star Wars' total after doubling it this weekend. It is fucking happening any day now.

Solid starts for Just Mercy and A Hidden Life. Hysterical numbers for Dolittle. It is time to let Universal movies go. This is ridiculous.

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1