TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

No, no. You’re quite right. The vision that Snyder had is absolutely being carried on with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. He’s responsible for those films successes. Jenkins and Wan were just there to carry out his vision. Both those films had absolutely no changes made to them because of the backlash against BvS, JL and SS. Everything is going according to his wishes and his master plan.

Good lord.

JL was definitely retooled and reshot because of BvS. Didn’t help it in the end though 

Edited by John Marston

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

:)

I hear the first cut tested really poorly, and that DC film boss Walter Hamada got Birds of Prey into shape of being the critically praised film that it is.

However, what that did, was throw a monkey-wrench into marketing’s machine. I understand they should not be blamed here. They only had so much to work with, and materials weren’t ready for the studio to take down to San Diego Comic-Con back in July. Despite such stunts as the in-theater trailer drop on It Chapter Two, and taking Robbie and the film down to Brazil Comic-Con in Sao Paulo, the overall campaign lacked a sense of eventizing (hello, remember, when Hall H fans were posted the illegally taped version of the first Suicide Squad trailer more than a year before it’s release. That’s eventizing!) and that’s because marketing didn’t have a lot to work with off the movie like they did with Joker, Meg, etc

Interesting.  Hard to market what you don't have.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

It’s a comic book movie. There’s usually not logic involved. Kind of like someone getting rid of 1/2 the population of the universe with one snap and then five years later, some super heroes travel back in time to undo everything. That worked extremely well, because people were invested in the story. There are many people invested in WW and Steve. I recall during the review period for the first film, many critics remarked on how ridiculous many of the lines were: “My mother sculpted me from clay and I was bought to life by Zeus”, yet people just went with it. It’s all about how it comes together on screen in its finished form. 

Getting rid of 1/2 the universe's population was a r***rded idea anyway. It's not like the numbers won't go back to "normal" after a few decades creating the same situation. Unless Thanos wants to snap every 50 years or so, it doesn't make sense. Nature can deal with overpopulation just fine, no need to artificially help it.

Edited by misafeco
  • Haha 2

Just now, John Marston said:

JL was definitely retooled and resort because of BvS. Didn’t help it in the end though 

If the execs hadn't been so gungo ho to get their bonuses off the release before the sale to AT&T and they'd given the film more time to fully re-tool it might have helped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Interesting.  Hard to market what you don't have.

Missing Comic-Con was a huge blow. All DC trailers from Comic-Con blow up and have huge trailer views.

I think that's what helped Shazam did what it did. Because if it didn't have that Comic-Con trailer would have grossed way less.

17 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I hear the first cut tested really poorly, and that DC film boss Walter Hamada got Birds of Prey into shape of being the critically praised film that it is.

Now that, and the marketing quote, might explain a lot.

It's a Solo situation if this is true...a movie gets almost remade in the last few months, so marketing has nothing til the last minute to really use...so you have no story to sell b/c you have no coherent story til the end...so you use character screen shots and hope for the best.

It's too bad...like Solo, the movie turned out decent to good (after coming off a divisive previous franchise edition)...and it's gonna not matter...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Happy Birthday @RthRise

Hopefully you can make an appearance for the big Sonic event movie next weekend.

I think he'll make an appearance once Mulan releases. Are there other blockbusters that will be released before Mulan?

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This contradicts scoopers who said test screenings went well before and after the reshoots doesn't it?

• Like 1