charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

About halfway through The Underground Railroad; the first three episodes are incredible, top tier work from Barry Jenkins but episodes 4 and 5 were total slogs. The Joel Edgerton character just isn't interesting I don't get why he's suddenly the main focus. Hope this shit picks back up.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

About halfway through The Underground Railroad; the first three episodes are incredible, top tier work from Barry Jenkins but episodes 4 and 5 were total slogs. The Joel Edgerton character just isn't interesting I don't get why he's suddenly the main focus. Hope this shit picks back up.

I’m at the same point and completely agree, I was totally gripped by the Cora storyline and then it just goes off on a tangent without her and slows to an absolute crawl. Jenkins’ direction is still on point though.

• Like 1

Been awhile since I had much of anything to contribute to this thread. Today I watched FURIE, sort of a gender-flipped Vietnamese TAKEN (it’s better, though). The story’s super basic but it’s still a lot of fun if you like martial arts thrillers. And it stars Rose Tico’s older sister too!

• Like 3

Finished season 2 of The OC. That George Lucas cameo came out of nowhere (this show also has an exec producer called Loucas George). And I had a feeling that the "mmm watcha say" meme came from this show when I started it (I saw the scene years ago but didn't know which show it was from) but I dismissed that though after a couple of episodes. I finally found out it actually does lmao.

Finally finished the entirety of the OC. Season 2 was still the peak of the show in terms of crazy it got imo (and Zach was a really fun character). Season 3 is not that bad but does get too dour by the end. The Seth and Summer relationship stuff does bring some levity though. Season 4 was a lot more self-aware and eccentric than the rest of the show. Practically becomes a sitcom in Season 4 (and a kinda niche one that reminded me a little of shows like Community, so I'm not surprised they didn't see a big resurgence in viewership) and made me realise most of the dramatic elements of the show really came from Marissa. I'm a little dissapointed the show didn't end up being as trashy as I wanted it to be, but I think I ended up getting a show I really, really liked. I'm probably watching Friday Night Lights next.

Batman Returns (rewatch) - A

Brighter Summer Day - A+

CloseUp (1990) - A

Chungking Express (rewatch) - A+

Hard Boiled - A

In the Mood for Love - A+

The Host (2006) (rewatch) - A-

• Like 4

June 2021

Movies

1. The Conjuring: Devil Made Me Do It - The film is utterly boring and makes me sad how the franchise has gone down. The first Conjuring and too a large extent 2nd one were as if watching something real, this time Warrens are straight up magic and ffs meta-human over the top action. 2/10.
  2. Luca - 8/10
  3. Zombieland - 7/10
  4. Zombieland: Double Tap - 6/10
  5. A Quite Place II - Being a rehash of Part I and not having same novelty doesn't stop it from being a very good watch. 7/10

TV

1. The Family Man: S02 - Weak writing drags it initially, but catches up well in the final episodes. The use of one shot handy cam for action scenes is really nice. In fact action is superior to any Indian movie in recent memory. a lenient 7/10.
  2. Brooklyn Nine-Nine: S06-S07 - Caught up with it finally. Some episodes were good, some were bleh, def not enjoyed as much as in first 5 a couple of years back. 7/10
  3. Parks and Recreation: S02-S04 - So I binged 3 seasons of it. The show is funny and a really good 'The Office' B-show just that Leslie is an awful lead unlike Michael Scott. Fav character is easily Ron Swanson. 8/10.
  4. Loki (Ongoing) - This is going fine, hopefully pay offs well.  
Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

June 2021

Movies

1. Parks and Recreation: S02-S04 - So I binged 3 seasons of it. The show is funny and a really good 'The Office' B-show just that Leslie is an awful lead unlike Michael Scott. Fav character is easily Ron Swanson. 8/10.

Nice,I love Parks and Recreation. Actually I watched this before The office and now I personally think this is superior version lol. Both are really good. Also I really love Aubrey and Chris Pratt in this. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

June

Some Like it Hot - 10/10

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It - 5/10

Thor - 6/10

Cabaret - 9/10

In the Heights - 9/10

Brokeback Mountain - 10/10 (When David Harbour popped up I screamed)

Luca - 7/10

The Boys in the Band (1970) - 10/10

The Boys in the Band (2020) - 6/10

Casablanca - 10/10

Bruno - 7/10

Milk - 7/10 (this has the most cursed cast in history lmao)

The Maltese Falcon - 8/10

Meet Me in St. Louis - 9/10

So I didn't end up watching any Fast and Furious content this month. Maybe I'll get to it in July I guess, but I also have to schedule it around my Shyamagod marathon (and also David Lowery I guess). Not really in a rush to see any F&F movie tho, so who knows if I ever get around to it?

• Like 3

June

Movies

Almost Famous - 10/10 - This is one of those films that just gave me everything I wanted. I loved it. Consistently funny throughout and Billy Cruddup was electric. 

The Father - 9.5/10 - Unbelievably powerful and Hopkins deserved the Oscar 100%

Saint Maud - 9/10 - Best horror since Hereditary 

Everybody Wants Some - 9/10 

Won’t You Be My Neighbour - 9/10 - Was really moved by this despite knowing nothing about Mr Rogers. 

To Catch a Thief - 8.5/10 

The Conversation - 8.5/10 

Cold War - 8.5/10 - Beautiful cinematography and incredibly heartbreaking

Clear and Present Danger - 8/10

Nobody 8/10 - A lighter, comedic straw dogs with action to rival John Wick.

Cruella - 8/10 - Delightful, the two Emma’s are so captivating and light up the screen. 

In the Heights - 8/10 - Super enjoyable, Anthony Ramos is great

One Cut of the Dead - 8/10 - I don’t think I’ve seen a film perfectly encapsulating the energy of a film set and the highs/lows that come from that. 

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - 8/10 

Rurouni Kenshin 2 - 7.5/10 - Most consistent action of the series

Luca - 7/10 - It was sweet and Pixar always lands the ending

Raya and the Last Dragon - 7/10

The Naked Gun 2 - 7/10 - Not as good as the first but still some solid laughs. 

The Ladykillers - 7/10 - I know it’s a classic but it took until after the heist for the movie to really start clicking for me and making the most out of the situation. All that stuff is excellent, first part is a slog.

Rurouni Kenshin 3 - 7/10 

F9 - 7/10 - Better than the last one. Enjoyed the ridiculousness. Good practical stuff, still needs less CGI

Rurouni Kenshin - 6/10 - Was quite disappointed in the action after all the hype, super choppy, But I actually enjoyed the characters and story.

Rurouni Kenshin 4 - 6/10 - Great villain

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 6/10 - I’m happy Jon Bernthal got to do something

Death Becomes Her - 6/10 

Assassination Nation - 5/10 - Sam Levinson without any filters or grounding. Violent hot-occasionally enjoyable- mess. 

The Dead Don’t Die - 4/10 

My Bloody Valentine (1981) - 3/10

Men in Black: International - 2/10 - This is the worst film I've seen in a while, what a slog.

TV

Inside - 9/10 - Is it a film or TV special, I don’t know but it was fantastic.

• Like 5

June:

• Baby Driver (8/10)
  • Once Upon a Time in the West (10/10)
  • McCabe & Mrs. Miller (7/10)
  • Malcolm & Marie (3/10)
  • Django (9/10)
  • Wrath of Man (8/10)
  • Conjuring (8/10)
  • Conjuring 2 (7/10)
  • 25th Hour (9/10)
  • Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (4/10)
  • Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga Hoole (6/10)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (10/10)
  • Mitchells vs The Machines (8/10)
  • Spiral: From The Book of Saw (4/10)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (10/10)
  • Bo Burnham: Inside (7/10)
  • Sucker Punch (4/10)
  • Bone Tomahawk (8/10)
  • Goldeneye (8/10)
  • Brawl in Cell Block 99 (8/10)
  • Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (8/10)
  • Duck, You Sucker! (7/10)
  • 10 to Midnight (7/10)
  • Grizzly (5/10)
  • The Fast and The Furious (7/10)
  • 2 Fast 2 Furious (5/10)
  • Luca (7/10)
  • Death Rides a Horse (8/10)
  • The Mercenary (9/10)
  • Like 2

I checked out No Sudden Move with its streaming launch today. It's your customary really solid Steven Soderbergh ensemble-driven genre film. I wish it had been a theatrical release rather than a streaming exclusive, especially since it feels like Soderbergh's most obviously cinematic film in a while.

I'm also rewatching Lost in Translation for the first time since... 2010, I think? It's definitely different watching a film that is, in part, about the weird existential ennui of twentysomethings as a 30-year-old who first saw this movie on DVD at 13 and repeatedly thinking "Oh shit, this hits very differently now."

• Like 2

Bo Burnham: Inside 1/5

A Quiet Place 4/5

A Quiet Place Part II 5/5

Those Who Wish Me Dead 4/5

In The Heights 4/5

The Unholy 2/5

Cruella 4/5

Raya and the Last Dragon 3/5

Wonder Woman 1984 5/5

Freddy Vs Jason 4/5

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1874 4/5

Luca 2/5

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I checked out No Sudden Move with its streaming launch today. It's your customary really solid Steven Soderbergh ensemble-driven genre film. I wish it had been a theatrical release rather than a streaming exclusive, especially since it feels like Soderbergh's most obviously cinematic film in a while.

Just finished it and it's the best (and best-looking) movie of the year so far imo.

• Like 1

The Tomorrow War: Matinee. This thing really brought me back to peak stupid entertainment like Armageddon, Independence Day, and 2012. Good stupid nonsense that's been lost in the era of YouTube film "criticsm".

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

So, in my mission to watch all the supers movies I've passed on (my 2021 goal list), I finally watched Birds of Prey and the yadda, yadda, yadda Harley Quinn.

Gonna say - I appreciated the risk taking in this film.  But, it didn't pay off.  I appreciated the attempt to reimagine characters - but they were so reimagined to be unrecognizable, which would still be okay, except the unrecognizable was often boring or lame.

The best parts of the movie were Harley and Black Canary.  Those two and their character paths get this movie to a C-.  And yes, I know Black Canary bears little resemblance to her comics, but that risk paid off b/c it worked.  But, all the other characters were bad to disastrously bad, and I just refuse to accept some of them in movie cannon (Cass and Huntress)...

So, I'm now glad I watched it and glad I never paid to watch it.  That said, I'd have given Margot Robbie and Jurnee Smollett-Bell another movie shot with their characters, but I'd write the rest of them out:)...