Eric Prime

The Batman | March 4, 2022 | Warner Bros. | Certified Fresh on RT | 7th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Except for NWH, all MCU movies released last year had pretty bad scores on Douban: Black Widow (6.2), Shang Chi (6.1) and Eternals (5.8). I really don't think that any of those would have made big numbers there. For comparison, WW84 has 6.1 and Shazam has 6.2.

If I'm not wrong, the worst score in the MCU before these movies was Black Panther with 6.5.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think MCU had all kinds of issues with Shang Chi and Eternals but NWH not releasing is super weird. China loves Spidey for sure and its a Sony movie !!! I still think it gets released sometime soon. 

Venom 2 was not given a release either, and the first film was extremely successful in China. I don't think China has a bias against any studio but rather Marvel as a whole. Let's see if that will continue this year... Morbius will be the next one to watch.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The Chinese government really does not like Chloe Zhao, and to a lesser extent, Simu Liu. 

Liu: Raised in Canada since he was 5.

Zhao: Raised in the west since she was 15.  

Blaming/shaming an entire film studio for the personal family choices of emigres is childish hubris, of course.  Or maybe they're jealous because Eternals and Shang-Chi were both 90% better than most major Chinese blockbusters these days?  

And I thought the guy dressing up as a bat had the real issues?   

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 9:39 AM, WittyUsername said:

The Chinese government really does not like Chloe Zhao, and to a lesser extent, Simu Liu. 

To be fair, they did like Zhao until the drama resurfaced, which forced them to censor anything that is related to her. Zhao is a daughter of a stage actress and a military man, she's also the niece of a provincial governor or whatever. Feige hired Zhao before she got the Oscar so it's not like Marvel was aiming for an Oscar with Eternals at the time either like a lot of people assumed. 
Shang Chi's character had a racist background with the whole Fu Manchu stuff, which Feige already had to explain again in the weibo's online interview in 2021 but it's obvious that CCP still decided to ban the film and SC character nevertheless. 
I don't think Disney and Chapek would give up on China, and so does Feige.

Edited by YourCake

23 hours ago, Macleod said:

Liu: Raised in Canada since he was 5.

Zhao: Raised in the west since she was 15.  

Blaming/shaming an entire film studio for the personal family choices of emigres is childish hubris, of course.  Or maybe they're jealous because Eternals and Shang-Chi were both 90% better than most major Chinese blockbusters these days?  

And I thought the guy dressing up as a bat had the real issues?   

I think it's less that they have problems with Liu and Zhao's statements but more that the government wants to avoid showing films that glorify the immigrant experience, especially immigrants who have settled in the West.

Of course, still doesn't explain why Black Widow, NWH and Venom 2 were blocked too. It could also be a way of "putting Marvel in its place" by not letting them outearn local releases.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I think it's less that they have problems with Liu and Zhao's statements but more that the government wants to avoid showing films that glorify the immigrant experience, especially immigrants who have settled in the West.

Of course, still doesn't explain why Black Widow, NWH and Venom 2 were blocked too. It could also be a way of "putting Marvel in its place" by not letting them outearn local releases.

Wasn’t the reason they gave for Black Widow something like she fights a regime after going to the west and becoming a hero? 

Something lame like that. 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:48 AM, belblazer said:

Except for NWH, all MCU movies released last year had pretty bad scores on Douban: Black Widow (6.2), Shang Chi (6.1) and Eternals (5.8). I really don't think that any of those would have made big numbers there. For comparison, WW84 has 6.1 and Shazam has 6.2.

If I'm not wrong, the worst score in the MCU before these movies was Black Panther with 6.5.

Why are scores for WW84 and Shazam so low? Any specific reason for why China didn't like them?

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Why are scores for WW84 and Shazam so low? Any specific reason for why China didn't like them?

They just didn't like both. They had the same comments like "it doesn't look like a super hero movie" (WW84) and the lack of action in Shazam etc.

• Like 1