YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

19 minutes ago, Cap said:

There is zero reason to start doomposting based off a couple announcements that are not actual announcements.

Thank you for being a voice of reason.

They're not likely to make any final decisions until after Sonic 2 opens. And even then, Disney just joined CinemaCon at the end of April and they wouldn't rob them of a possible in-person appearance from Icon Evans (which doesn't happen if the movie goes straight to streaming).

• Thanks 2

Once Turning Red (which got shifted because of Encanto barely making an impact during its theatrical window before taking over pop culture after it launched on Disney+) breaks all sorts of records left and right, you bet your ass this is going to Disney+ as well. It'll be day and date at best like Raya was.

• Disbelief 1

So animation is dead huh. Time to sell across the verse to Netflix :sparta:  

Spoiler

I know I have been shocked by Disney’s Pixar decisions in the past but it would be absolutely unbelievably wild if they gave us in all the revenue from this when the market hungers for a big kid pic

4 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

So animation is dead huh. Time to sell across the verse to Netflix :sparta:  

Reveal hidden contents

Dude, we just had a conversation about tone 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

Dude, we just had a conversation about tone 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’m trying to be careful/helpful but if I make 10 fully sincere, not sarcastically mocking posts in a row I will be killed by a rare witch’s curse.

• Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

This going to D+ would be a baffling decision. Encanto shows that you can have BO and still create a gigantic streaming hit. 

While I agree and would find such a move crazy, Disney execs might be looking at frankly insane numbers that Encanto is pulling on D+ and just decide to cut out the theatrical middleman and try to maximize eyeballs on D+.

Ironically, Encanto being far more of a cultural presence once it hit D+ might be factoring into their thinking.  I personally hope not, but it might really come down to whether or not Disney is willing to sacrifice short term money for long term platform entrenchment.  

Like, the 64 million dollar question really is: What does Disney ultimately care about?

And I don't even mean in terms of streaming/theatrical.  I mean in terms of "Do they care more about money now?" or "do they care more about Disney Plus subs/viewer counts now?"  

Unlike some here, I don't think the answer is  settled yet. Certainly not worthy of a bunch of fear based doomposting, as Cap put it.  We might get a decent idea when we get Turning Red viewer numbers, as that's gonna be a pure streaming release (no, I don't count a one-week platform release in a handful of cities).  But even then, one movie being comped to another doesn't tell the whole story.

Ultimately, I think Disney would be shooting themselves in the foot by massively curtailing their footprint in the theatrical space, if only coz having successful films at the box office is a great advertisement for your service for folks who don't have D+.  Plus the bags full of money is always nice.

At the same time, the siren song of the walled garden that are streaming platforms is mighty mighty enticing.  Enticing enough that they might make... unwise decisions like walling off Lightyear to a D+ Release.

Either way, I ain't gonna worry about it too heavily until Disney gives me concrete reason to worry about it.  And that comment  from that publication in Latin America wasn't it.

• Like 1

Provided covid doesn't surge here again ofc. Either that or The Bad Guys ends up breaking out encouraging animation studios to screen all their movies theatrically again.

Turning Red actually does seem to be getting some theatrical exhibitions in select markets, I think Disney is testing the water again w/ the covid surge easing to see if families will show up.

Edited by AniNate

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Provided covid doesn't surge here again ofc. Either that or The Bad Guys ends up breaking out encouraging animation studios to screen all their movies theatrically again.

Turning Red actually does seem to be getting some theatrical exhibitions in select markets, I think Disney is testing the water again w/ the covid surge easing to see if families will show up.

No, they are just doing the minimum to qualify it for the 2023 Oscars.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

No, they are just doing the minimum to qualify it for the 2023 Oscars.  

That's what I figured, but thanks for the confirmation.

Any idea how many cities?  At the moment we're only aware of three (El Capitan in LA, Empire 25 in NYC, and strangely enough Grand Lake Theater in Oakland).

EDIT: Never mind on the "strangely enough" as I see the main star is from Oakland, which might be reason enough.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1