Eric Duncan

MEMORIAL DAY 2021 WEEKEND THREAD | AQP2 19.3 Fri, Cruella 7.7 | SALE: $5 OFF FIRST MONTH OF GOLD

Oh man. My first theater experience since Birds of Prey in February 2020. What GLORY!

I saw both big releases and liked them both. I thought A Quiet Place Part II was better than the first. Cruella was fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

AQP2 A- cinemascore is surprisingly higher than AQP1's B+. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

general audiences have not returned to cinemas yet , so like GVK it has a slightly inflated score? 

It's also a sequel, so should be some level of fan base rush.

Honestly surprised QP is so far ahead of Cruella, here in Orlando, they’ve looked to be running about even, and Cruella has been of course absolutely crushing QP2 at Disney Springs, 12 sellouts tonight compared to 4 for QP2, interestingly, almost all dine ins, wouldn’t think people would be excited to pick dine in yet.

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk, 5 million people paying $30 dollars to watch a movie at home would be a lot and I have a hard time seeing that happen within the span of a weekend. I mean if we try to look at HBO Max subscription increases as PVOD sales, a bigger movie than Cruella like GvK didn't move that by much (maybe 1 mil at most I guess?), and I don't see a lot of people wanting to pay double that for just one movie.

I'd really like an industry analyst to break down why it's been so hard to get people to watch these major movies at home. We've been told for years that people preferred the convenience of home viewing, that streaming is the future, blah, blah, blah...if that is truly the case, then why did GvK flop on HBO Max and why are Netflix movies barely spoken about among casual moviegoers? 

18 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'd really like an industry analyst to break down why it's been so hard to get people to watch these major movies at home. We've been told for years that people preferred the convenience of home viewing, that streaming is the future, blah, blah, blah...if that is truly the case, then why did GvK flop on HBO Max and why are Netflix movies barely spoken about among casual moviegoers? 

Convenience and easy are two different concept. It is value adding if you offer convenience to people. But if you make your product so easily available to so many people without any time constraint, that basically mean you are too easy. Just like gold or diamond, they won't worth much if they are so readily available to millions and people won't cherish it. This is part of the problem with streaming, they don't feel special enough because they are easy girls/boys.     

31 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Cruella was style over substance.

Shakespearean story and acting, very over the top. It is a 5/10 but very watchable.

It’s called camp. LOL

11 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s called camp. LOL

You're not wrong it's the same thing in my opinion, it's easier just to say Shakespearean as there is a plot line that fellows those conventions very closely. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

QUIET PLACE PART II, A (2021)A-

CRUELLA (2021)A

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

It's also a sequel, so should be some level of fan base rush.

It’s a horror sequel though, those tend to drop. 

A- for a horror sequel is basically like an A++++. 

Interestingly, both Conjuring films got an A-. I watched them both last night in prep for The Conjuring 3 tonight, they’re both great. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s a horror sequel though, those tend to drop. 

A- for a horror sequel is basically like an A++++. 

True, but..... AQP is more on the suspense side of the horror spectrum, isn't it?  Kinda straddles a few different genres (horror, suspense, survival, post-apocalyptic). Or to put it another way, yes it's a horror film (it's a diverse genre, after all), but it's a different flavor than many.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

True, but..... AQP is more on the suspense side of the horror spectrum, isn't it?  Kinda straddles a few different genres (horror, suspense, survival, post-apocalyptic). Or to put it another way, yes it's a horror film (it's a diverse genre, after all), but it's a different flavor than many.

Not really. It’s still a horror film, it’s just very popular. 

Sometimes people try and call them “thrillers” or “psychological thrillers” when they go huge, but they’re always still horror films. Designed to scare = horror. 

• ...wtf 1

Okay , after seeing Cruella numbers despite a sizable hype I am sensing that Black widow might not to do big at box office as some people are expecting. Maybe 40m OW and 100m total in NA??

Having digital release simultaneously hurts a lot then people are expecting. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Haha 1

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Okay , after seeing Cruella despite a sizable hype I am sensing that Black widow might not to do big at box office as some people are expecting. Maybe 40m OW and 100m total in NA??

Having digital release simultaneously hurts a lot then people are expecting. 

Since when did Cruella have sizable hype? It's not opening this low due to its digital release.

• Like 7