Borobudur

Father's Day weekend June 18 -20

7 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

From following the PS pretty closely, I’d take 65->175. Summer legs should be better than Easter legs.   

That would indeed be pretty in line with other countries, basically 0 % down from my non-pandemic expectations.

I guess it's possible and maybe the 4th of July week might help overall. Hobbs and Shaw did about 2.9x, though that was in the dead month of August so maybe this one can do about 2.5-2.6x. 165m or so? Depends on how Black Widow hurts it, and I expect it to a good amount.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Boxofficemojo Guru has DS at 240 vs 300 last weekend, cume of 48.8. 50M should happen with even a few hundred k from Canada.

Demon Slayer is doing REALLY solid business here.

Another point, I think people are reading too much into ITH performance as being “the death of musicals”. I mean, come on! It’s one bad performance that just didn’t connect with the GA. Move on. If WSS, DEH, and Wicked all gross under 50M, then you can panic. Fant4stic bombed, but that wasn’t the end of superheroes. I think many of us are letting our personal feelings for the movie (for it or against it) influence how we think this performance is going to affect the future of the box office or musical adaptations. It’s simply a minor blip that’s going to be forgotten in a year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

RIP The Movie Musical (1927-2021).

It'll survive. La La Land and The Greatest Showman aren't even 5 year old movies and proved that people will show up when all the right components are there. In the Heights was just too obscure of a Broadway musical (no songs that even people who had never seen the show would be familiar with) and too tough of a sell from a plot standpoint to really grab a wide audience, even if it's only becoming clear now in retrospect.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It'll survive. La La Land and The Greatest Showman aren't even 5 year old movies and proved that people will show up when all the right components are there. In the Heights was just too obscure of a Broadway musical (no songs that even people who had never seen the show would be familiar with) and too tough of a sell from a plot standpoint to really grab a wide audience, even if it's only becoming clear now in retrospect.

This is the key. I think that some people focus way too much on one component and create false equation. if X and Y succeeded because they had ______ than Z will too. That's not how it works. Hamilton wasn't a big hit just because of LMM common denominator. CRA and BP weren't big hits just because of diversity common denominator. There were other factors such as Marvel brand, spectacle, exotic locations, bestselling book series, globe-trotting romance. So it's always a mix of several components that may be visible right away or noticed in hindsight. Never just 1. 

Re: future of musicals. Will survive. One-two flops (this, Cats) are already offset by past successes (La La land, Mama Mia franchise, Pitch Perfect franchise, The Last Snowman, Les Miz, etc) and there are several other musicals coming out this year. I remember that whenever an R rated movie flopped, someone would cry that it meant death to R movies yet more are always made and many succeed. Musicals will be fine and yes Wicked will be big.

Edited by Valonqar

*goes to Box Office Mojo to do some research*

*checks*

*double checks*

Really, BOM?

Unless I am as blind as a bat/suffering brain damage from excessive heat wave, there is no easy chart over at BOM anymore to see musicals on an All Time List.  Under "genre" they've broken the films up into a myriad of categories that are so specific as to not have any other entires. And "Music" covers films where the subject matter is about Music, but doesn't have actual musicals in it.

Guess @Cap was right after all.  RIP Musicals. :sadno:

(Or BOM just sucks since the redesign, take your pick)

Star power is completely dead.

You can't just rely on big names anymore whether its Lin Manuel or Nolan.

We are in the age of IP's. That's how something like GvK and QP2 get better than expected numbers. They're both franchises and events. People already were focused on franchises before but now, after corona, it's even more pronounced. 

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

*double checks*

Really, BOM?

Unless I am as blind as a bat/suffering brain damage from excessive heat wave, there is no easy chart over at BOM anymore to see musicals on an All Time List.  Under "genre" they've broken the films up into a myriad of categories that are so specific as to not have any other entires. And "Music" covers films where the subject matter is about Music, but doesn't have actual musicals in it.

BOM does just suck since the redesign. This might be pretty close to what you want though the musical category is a little fuzzy to begin with imo. 

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/genres/musical

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

*double checks*

Really, BOM?

There is nothing on Mojo since the redesign. It sucks even to just compare OWs in a franchise

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

BOM does just suck since the redesign. This might be pretty close to what you want though the musical category is a little fuzzy to begin with imo. 

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/genres/musical

I was more bitching about BOM than anything else. :lol:  Thanks for the link though, I'll take a look-see through it when I have some time.

Mostly just wanted to check out how Broadway Musicals (that weren't pre-established IP like TLK, or animated films in general for that matter)/films that feel like a Broadway Musical (like The Greatest Showman) have done the last few years.  Broadway Musical as a genre, in other words (just by scanning a chart I can easily junk what I was or wasn't looking for, if you see what I mean).

Still... an opportunity to take a whack at BOM presented itself.  And who am I to resist low hanging fruit when it is provided? 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

*double checks*

Really, BOM?

Wikipedia has a list of biggest musicals ever (both on stage and screen).

List of highest-grossing musicals - Wikipedia

Obviously, Disney animated musicals (or live-action remakes of Disney animated musicals) dominate here with Bohemian Rhapsody (which made all of its money thanks to the song numbers) as the outlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, Disney is certain to pair them up for double features so the theater loss won't be significant (especially when things that aren't selling at all like In the Heights and Spirit Untamed will be dropped first).

It's still only #5 this weekend with F9 and Forever Purge and Boss Baby opening wide the next 2 weeks - 7 held movies plus Black Widow will already be a lot for theaters with 12 screens or less (since BW will get 4-6 screens)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Demon Slayer is doing REALLY solid business here.

Another point, I think people are reading too much into ITH performance as being “the death of musicals”. I mean, come on! It’s one bad performance that just didn’t connect with the GA. Move on. If WSS, DEH, and Wicked all gross under 50M, then you can panic. Fant4stic bombed, but that wasn’t the end of superheroes. I think many of us are letting our personal feelings for the movie (for it or against it) influence how we think this performance is going to affect the future of the box office or musical adaptations. It’s simply a minor blip that’s going to be forgotten in a year.

You know, I finally watched that movie last month.  It's not THAT bad, but it's not a superhero movie...and I think that was the big disconnect on what the movie was and how it performed.  If it was called, "Dimensions" or something, and no on had any idea it had to do with superheroes, it would be a decent B-/C+.  Lesson learned for those folks - if you promise superheroes in the title, you better have superheroes:)...

Overall box office made 47m. Without giant-hit, this father weekend, is 77% lower than in 2019 and 82% in 2018. Even in 2013, the worst father day weekend made 130m overall. This suggest that the current cinema is operating at less than a quarter of their maximum potential. Not sure how can this be a viable or profitable industry if things keep going on at this dreadful pace.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/19/2021 at 9:22 AM, Cmasterclay said:

I would have predicted a $15 million OW for Hitman's Bodyguard 2 for the three day weekend in a pre-pandemic world, so honestly the 5 day is right in line with that expectation. Who asked for this?

Sad for In The Heights and sad as a lifelong progressive to see my own movement eating their own, eating a genuinely progressive film that should be seen, with a made up controversy. Sad sad sad. 

I don’t think it’s made up. I also don’t think it’s a huge controversy. 

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

*double checks*

Really, BOM?

It's sad how IMDb killed that website, it was so useful. One of the stupidest things I have ever seen, what they did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, I finally watched that movie last month.  It's not THAT bad, but it's not a superhero movie...and I think that was the big disconnect on what the movie was and how it performed.  If it was called, "Dimensions" or something, and no on had any idea it had to do with superheroes, it would be a decent B-/C+.  Lesson learned for those folks - if you promise superheroes in the title, you better have superheroes:)...

I don't think the title say superhero. Also need to watch the series before the film. Though this wasn't as great as box office tells but I guess that's anime genre for us.

To me this felt more like Harry Potter ish , again I watched series so may be that.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think the title say superhero. Also need to watch the series before the film. Though this wasn't as great as box office tells but I guess that's anime genre for us.

To me this felt more like Harry Potter ish , again I watched series so may be that.

Not to speak for @TwoMisfits, but I believe she was referring to Fant4stic Four, since she bolded that movie when she quoted DJAK. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2