Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Budget: $200m.

Under Space Jam for the weekend? 

If I was betting, I'd say yes - with that preview, Jungle Cruise under Space Jam 2 for the weekend...but who knows.  I'd like to see a Friday number b/c Disney fans are rabid fans, so they might show up, since I don't think many are planning PA buys...or they might not and just enjoy an Olympics weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

That's not bad for Jungle Cruse at all. I think it ends up right around Space Jam 2 numbers personally.

Disappointing for Green Knight, clearly overperformed in certain city markets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Green Knight is getting evicerated in RT Audience reviews. Already down to 62% probably will hit rotten Audience Score. People expected an action movie but got bored to death. It's on A24 for cutting a misleading trailer. 

It's It Comes At Night all over again, when will they learn?

• Knock It Off 1

A24 hardly ever cuts a trailer that isn't misleading. If they didn't it wouldn't gain interest. But perhaps that inevitable rotten audience score will rise over the years. Hereditary had a D+ CinemaScore, ended up with a rotten RT audience score, but it's legs were quite good for a horror movie, it ended up getting better reception as time went on and Ari Aster is now one of the most respected young directors working today. We'll see how things pan out for The Green Knight. 

• Like 1

I mean...The Green Knight is already doing far better than I expected a month ago. It's not like In The Heights where it seemed like a huge hit on paper. A few huge presales in major cities (where most of the target audience for such movies live) got our hopes up higher than they realistically should have been tbh. Hindsight's always 20/20 but that's a good number for TGK if not the huge breakout a few theaters hinted it might be.

• Like 7

What the heck... how did Green Knight do THAT bad?😂 It genuinely was selling incredibly well not just in my market, but in many major Canadian cities as well. Maybe it just didn’t have the screens in rural areas?

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What the heck... how did Green Knight do THAT bad?😂 It genuinely was selling incredibly well not just in my market, but in many major Canadian cities as well. Maybe it just didn’t have the screens in rural areas?

It was very low yesterday in MTC2 which covers a lot of suburbanish USA, like 1/4 of Jungle Cruise. Walkups were probably pretty low as well. Guessing it just overindexed in major cities. It had very low show counts in theaters that I track which limits the walkup potential as well. 

Edited by Menor

24 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's It Comes At Night all over again, when will they learn?

the it comes at night thing confuses me. It was exactly the movie it was marketed as

I expect the same to be true of Green Knight

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Green Knight is getting evicerated in RT Audience reviews. Already down to 62% probably will hit rotten Audience Score. People expected an action movie but got bored to death. It's on A24 for cutting a misleading trailer. 

Yeah lot of people online expected King Arthur: Legend of the Sword type action from this movie. :lol:

Really good deep dive into the ScarJo case. Pretty much will come down to whether the court considers emails or not, if it ever actually goes to trial, which it won't because Disney will not want discovery

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Yeah lot of people online expected King Arthur: Legend of the Sword type action from this movie. :lol:

It's an A24 film directed by Lowry ... please. :rofl:

Also it wouldn't hurt people to read a review or two instead of just looking at the Tomatometer

• Like 3