Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

17 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I just watched the trailer to check whether you're correct: you're not. The trailer is absolutely full of people brandishing weapons, swinging weapons, strange monsters. The thumbnail is of Dev raising a massive axe triumphantly. Come on. If you're not familiar with the director you're 100% gonna expect action from this movie.

I just rewatched it and I think youre cherry picking. It’s very much advertised as a moody, dark and atmospheric fantasy piece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

GK is a fraction of the cost of JC. 

Seems like these early hints of numbers are way more troubling for the 200m tentpole than the “weird” quirky indie movie. 

The trades are projecting 25 to 30 Million for JC. Not good news for the Mouse with JC's 200 Million pirce tag..And that the Delta Covid resurgence is dominating the news in the US will makes things worse for a lot of movies. We won't see a movie doing the knid of numbers that BW did for quite a while.

Edited by dudalb

Stillwater box office is an absolute disaster.  

The Green Knight is doing pretty much what I thought it would do for the most part when I posted a few weeks ago.  Not quite the financial disaster, but the audience score and cinemascore is going to be terrible.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The Green Knight is doing pretty much what I thought it would do for the most part when I posted a few weeks ago.  Not quite the financial disaster, but the audience score and cinemascore is going to be terrible.  

Stillwater was gonna be a disaster with pandemic or not. It would open with at most 5M in any circunstance.

The Green Knight however, I feel like it would have easily crossed the 10M mark pre-pandemic.

52 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I just watched the trailer to check whether you're correct: you're not. The trailer is absolutely full of people brandishing weapons, swinging weapons, strange monsters. The thumbnail is of Dev raising a massive axe triumphantly. Come on. If you're not familiar with the director you're 100% gonna expect action from this movie.

To echo what @The Panda, this is some extreme cherry-picking. Yes, I'll give you that Dev Patel does swing his axe twice in this trailer, and that there is indeed one shot of several knights brandishing their swords. But literally, the whole rest of the trailer is comprised of sweeping, moody landscape shots, a few shots of surrealist imagery, and some dramatic close-ups of all the major characters in the film. And a lot of those shots are elongated and linger for a lot longer compared to your average action film trailer that are quickly edited to fit in to showcase as many of the action beats as possible. Hell, you don't even see anyone clash swords with each other or any large scale battles, which you'd probably expect from your average fantasy action epic. 

Quite frankly, I don't even think you need to be familiar with David Lowery as a director or knowledgable of A24 as studio to figure out that this isn't an action film.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

To echo what @The Panda, this is some extreme cherry-picking. Yes, I'll give you that Dev Patel does swing his axe twice in this trailer, and that there is indeed one shot of several knights brandishing their swords. But literally, the whole rest of the trailer is comprised of sweeping, moody landscape shots, a few shots of surrealist imagery, and some dramatic close-ups of all the major characters in the film. And a lot of those shots are elongated and linger for a lot longer compared to your average action film trailer that are quickly edited to fit in to showcase as many of the action beats as possible. Hell, you don't even see anyone clash swords with each other or any large scale battles, which you'd probably expect from your average fantasy action epic. 

Quite frankly, I don't even think you need to be familiar with David Lowery as a director or knowledgable of A24 as studio to figure out that this isn't an action film.

It starts with an ominous monster seemingly putting forth a challenge to the main character and then riding off like the headless horseman. You also see some knife stabbing, Dev tied up (which implies some sort of struggle, and probably rescue). I'm not saying it looks like an action flick, but I'd be shocked if the average person who watched this trailer didn't expect some action.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

63% RT verified is not too bad. Old is at 52%. I guess it's because most of the audience is A24 fans tho (cinemascore might be inflated a bit because of that too).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Green Knight is currently in 4th place in Canada. Stillwater lol is below Jungle Cruise’s QUEBEC numbers :lol: but it seems to be doing well at my location which is weird.

Space Jam comfortably ahead of Black Widow in Canada for Friday.

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I guess you can say this about any movie, but I just look at the Stillwater ads/traiiler and think, "Why?" Matt Damon coming off like American Sniper Lite, while playing (not) Amanda Knox's dad: was anyone really asking for this? Also, the real Knox is pretty pissed about yet another unauthorized take on her life, and it's not like it's particularly timely, at that...

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

It starts with an ominous monster seemingly putting forth a challenge to the main character and then riding off like the headless horseman. You also see some knife stabbing, Dev tied up (which implies some sort of struggle, and probably rescue). I'm not saying it looks like an action flick, but I'd be shocked if the average person who watched this trailer didn't expect some action.

Those things don't exactly scream the kind of action that would draw in the average movie-goer, especially since there's also a lot of other weird imagery in the trailer that they'd find off-putting (talking fox, pale naked giants and all). If they were selling it more on the action, you'd think the trailer would feature a lot more shots of some clashing swords or sweeping battle scenes like every other medieval action film out there – something more akin to the recent Last Duel trailer.

Having seen that trailer several dozen times, I'd say it's exactly the film that it was sold as, and nowhere close to the manipulative, mis-marketed film that other users are making it out to be. Maybe I'm alone in thinking that, idk 🤷‍♂️. EC is the only other user here (that I know of) who's already seen it, and he clearly thinks otherwise. I heavily disagree with his assessment, but hey, that's his opinion on it and he's more than entitled to it. I am curious to see what other users think of it, and I definitely don't expect unanimous praise across the board for it (that's par for the course for most niche indie offerings, anyhow). But for my two cents, I stand by the fact that the trailer does deliver on selling the exact film that it is.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/07/dwayne-johnson-jungle-cruise-weekend-box-office-disney-black-widow-1234806607/

Friday afternoon update: While the town is getting used to projecting Warner Bros.’ theatrical-day-and-date streaming numbers, Disney’s throw a bit of a curve ball: Remember, many box office analysts didn’t see the Friday-to-Saturday -41% collapse of Black Widow coming.

Warner’s theatrical titles in the home are free to HBO Max subscribers, whereas Disney+ subs have to pay an extra $29.99 to see Jungle Cruise. To date in the pandemic, we’ve had a greater number of Warner Bros/HBO Max movies vs. Disney/Disney+ Premier titles. At this early stage –and Disney hasn’t commented on these figures– we hear that the Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt pairing is estimated to do at least $10M, possibly $12M which would result in a $25M-$27M 3-day at 4,310 theaters; the pandemic’s widest opening title to date. That Friday figure includes last night’s $2.7M. Again, take these numbers with a grain of salt.

A24 is looking to take No. 2 with an estimated $2.5M-$3M Friday, including $750K previews, on their David Lowery fantasy The Green Knight. At 2,790 venues, the pic could do between $6.5M-$8M.

Universal’s M. Night Shyamalan directed genre pic Old is seeing a $1.9M Friday (-72%), $6M second weekend, -64%, for a ten-day of $29.8M in the No. 3 spot.

Disney’s fourth weekend of Black Widow is seeing around $6.1M, -47%, after a $1.8M Friday (-48%) on its way to $166.7M for No. 4.

Focus Features’ Tom McCarthy-directed drama Stillwater is looking at $1.4M at 2,531 for a 3-day of $3.5M, further down the charts.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Skipper Eric said:

we hear that the Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt pairing is estimated to do at least $10M, possibly $12M which would result in a $25M-$27M 3-day at 4,310 theaters; the pandemic’s widest opening title to date. That Friday figure includes last night’s $2.7M. Again, take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Considering there's no way the film will open with as little as 27M with a 12M Friday, I will!